Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-25-2011

USA

16 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 11 of 491

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

2011-05-26, 16:25 PM

Well that didn't take long, it is still showing the burn-in regardless of the settings change.  Dealing with tech support will be a pain on something like this, and even if they agree to replace the LCD there's the possibility of getting a new panel with dead pixels, or other issues. 

Unless someone has any bright ideas this thing is probably going back, charging a premium for an upgraded panel that has burn-in issues is pretty lousy.

Options

18 Posts

06-04-2011

Cranston

30 Signins

286 Page Views

• Views: 286
  • Message 12 of 491

2011-06-04, 3:20 AM

I have the exact same problem. I noticed that I was getting this pseudo burn-in (and also quite a lot of backlight bleed). I returned my x220 and ordered a new one, same configuration. The new one just came, and it has the same ghosting problem as the first. Note that the ghosting does not take hours to occur: all I need to do is leave my web browser open for about fifteen minutes and then switch to another screen with dark background, and the UI elements will appear faintly burned into the screen, all over whatever text I'm processing (I use a text editor with a dark background, for programming). This is totally unacceptable, and I'm very disappointed. At this point, I don't know what to do: I've tired both linux and windows, and returning the laptop for a new one. It seems like I am going to have to return this second one too, and I don't think I am going to try and get a third laptop. This is very disappointing, because the rest of the compter is very nice.

Has anyone NOT had this problem with the IPS displays on the x220? Has anyone had this problem and fixed it? Can someone from lenovo please comment? More than anything, I want to be able to own this laptop and like it, but I can't when I've been convinced that the "premium" display has consistent defects.

Options

35 Posts

10-26-2009

Texas

28 Signins

180 Page Views

• Views: 180
  • Message 13 of 491

2011-06-04, 6:12 AM

I'm having the same problem whith the X220 IPS screen.  It is plugged in and on Energy Saver mode.  Had OneNote open for a little while and when I closed it there was a noticable ghost image, burn in, not sure what it is called exactly, left from the application.  Also noticed this after closing my browser or other windows.  For example when I closed this browser there was a clear ghost image left from the form where I'm typing this message from.  This happens after a very short time.  It goes away after a while but what worries me is that if it is so easy for it to happen temporarily, then perhaps it is easier for it to happen permanently.  If it is just a temporary thing then I don't mind as much.  

If you got a bad screen again then it wouldn't surprise me that all their screens have this defect.  Probably not worth getting a replacement at this time.  One option is to downgrade to the regular screen which might not have this issue, but then again the colors won't be as rich.  Another option is to wait and see if they get a better IPS screen and then replace it, if it is in fact the screen that is the problem and not a software setting.

Options

9644 Posts

12-27-2009

Canada

3313 Signins

95283 Page Views

• Views: 95283
  • Message 14 of 491

2011-06-04, 12:05 PM
I heard it was just an issue with LG-produced IPS panels.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Options

13 Posts

05-28-2011

Sweden

266 Signins

560 Page Views

• Views: 560
  • Message 15 of 491

2011-06-04, 13:38 PM

I have a IPS, but I can't say that I am experiencing this.

Give me a couple of steps to follow and I will test it and take a picture of it.

I do have some bleedthrough, but I don't really mind that.

Options

35 Posts

10-26-2009

Texas

28 Signins

180 Page Views

• Views: 180
  • Message 16 of 491

2011-06-04, 19:48 PM

Maybe try it with a dark desktop.  Mine is black and the picture taken by previous poster was also a dark background.  

Options

18 Posts

06-04-2011

Cranston

30 Signins

286 Page Views

• Message 17 of 491

2011-06-04, 21:55 PM

Some more information: I use a text editor with a soft grey background, because I find it easy on the eyes for long coding sessions. To test if you have the issue, all you need to do is leave a web browser with light-colored chrome (like google chrome or firefox 4) open, fullscreen, for about 15-20 minutes. Feel free to browse the web or whatever while you do this, it won't impact what happens to the chrome. Then, switch to a fullscreen text editor with minimal chrome, and the color scheme linked below (which, btw, I very much recommend) in the "dark" variant:

http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized

Make sure that your editor is sufficently lacking in UI elements or a menu bar such that the grey background is where the browser's chrome used to be on the screen. If you have the issue, you will very clearly see an afterimage of all the UI elements of your browser chrome. I have had this issue with two custom x220's, both configured with the premium IPS screen. Since I use that color scheme for my terminals, code editor, and email client, the ghosting is very obnoxious: the only other application I use besides those is a web browser, which leaves behind these very noticiable artifacts on the upper region of the screen.

It's really too bad, because I like everything else about the laptop. I'm considering getting a service call and swapping out the "premium" screen for the normal one, but I'm still within the return for a refund window for the laptop, so I'm unsure what to do.

I've been doing a bunch of research on this issue, and "ghosting" is NOT normal for new IPS displays; it tends to show up in defective or old displays. The issue is called "image persistance" (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence), and is generally not permenant to begin with but some resources say it can become so. I'm hoping someone from lenovo will comment on this. I'd happily go through more hassle to get a new laptop, screen, or whatever, if I could have an IPS display that doesn't suffer from this problem. The backlight bleed is a non-issue, by comparison.

Options

271 Posts

05-31-2011

San Francisco

2743 Signins

7527 Page Views

• Views: 7527
  • Message 18 of 491

2011-06-05, 7:00 AM

I tried the following test on my 2 week old X220 with upgraded screen. I used this page for my test (literally, this thread in the Lenovo forum). As you can see, this page is almost all white with black text and some orange bits, and a gradient grey band separating each post.. I displayed it on my default browser (Chrome with the "Minimal" theme) at full screen and full brightness for 20 minutes. I then switched to a black command line full screen. Viewed in a dark room, I could see some very faint ghosting but it wasn't obvious. The most visible ghosting was the bands between the posts, but it wasn't easy to see and I don't think I would have noticed if I wasn't looking for it. Unless I'm not doing this right, the amount of ghosting isn't enough to bother me.

The first time I turned on my X220, I immediately noticed bleed spots along bottom of the screen during startup. It was not subtle, and a disappointment when you turn on your new laptop for the first time. The funny thing is that I just tried to look for it now, and I cannot duplicate it. Not during startup nor if I drag a black window to the bottom edge of the screen. It is either no longer there, or conditions are different. I never noticed it when I was actually using the laptop.

My major disappointment is the color resolution. This may be the fault of the integrated Intel graphics adapter rather than the display itself. Gradient banding is easily visible even though it is supposed to capable of 32 bit color. The gradient banding is very obvious on the "Think " sign-in screen after sleep or hibernation. The background is black except along the bottom where it transitions to a light grey. There are bad horizontal bands in the transition area. I don't know if it will be any better with an external monitor, but it means I won't be able to use the X220 for some graphics editing work.

Options

18 Posts

06-04-2011

Cranston

30 Signins

286 Page Views

• Message 19 of 491

2011-06-05, 13:46 PM

Weirdly, the effet is much more apparent with a greyish background than a black backgound. I can almost read the text on my bookmarks bar on the background color linked above.

Options

2 Posts

06-06-2011

United States

41 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 20 of 491

X220 Faint Burn-in

2011-06-06, 18:58 PM

I've been noticing a very faint burn in when I go from something bright (white or light grey for instance) to a darker color. An example of this is Chrome's top bar being minimzed with a darker walpaper and you can still see a faint image of the top bar. I've tried moving a window around in the area to see if it had something to do with that, but it stays there. I haven't determined if it goes away with time or how long it takes for the burn in to appear. I only notice it with dark colors though. Lighter colors seem to be fine. I have the Premium HD Display with a 2x2 Antenna. Should I be worried?

EDIT:

Sorry just noticed there was a previous thread on this topic here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Faint-Ghosting-on-X220-IPS-screen/m-p/435201

Mod, please close. Sorry for the Inconvience. 

Moderator edit: Moved

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms