Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

51 Posts

10-06-2011

United States of America

55 Signins

598 Page Views

• Views: 598
  • Message 461 of 491

Re: Defective replacement IPS screen

2012-01-18, 20:12 PM

wrote:

Just got my X220 panel replaced today.  Build date was 110909.  New part number as mentioned in an earlier post.  Sometimes you see what you want to see . . . but the image quality, as I look at my desktop photo (mountain scene, water, sky) looks better and sharper than my last IPS screen which was built in May 2011.

Thanks to this forum, and the unfortunate experiences of others,  I looked closely and compared the old screen with the new one, and saw that the new one did, in fact, have the plastic screen protector.  The difference did not jump out at me - or the tech.  I convinced the tech that there was one there (it was perfectly fitted to the glass) and I removed it.

The tech said that it was confusing as normally he would see some indication (a pull tab) or something else to show that there was a cover and that it should come off.

At any rate, I am pleased and glad that the new screen is in.  Does appear to be an improvement over the old one.  Hopefully no further ghosting problem.

I had my IPS screen replaced due to ghosting in October.  Having now read a few messages about a screen protector that the techs don't seem to be aware of, I'm wondering if it is on my screen.

My old screen is long gone, so I can't compare it against the new one.  What would be a telltale sign indicating that my current screen has or does not have the protector on it?  In other words, what did you notice?

Thanks.

Options

769 Posts

08-07-2010

United States of America

1292 Signins

10446 Page Views

• Views: 10446
  • Message 462 of 491

2012-01-18, 20:16 PM

connmen wrote:
I had my IPS screen replaced due to ghosting in October.  Having now read a few messages about a screen protector that the techs don't seem to be aware of, I'm wondering if it is on my screen.

My old screen is long gone, so I can't compare it against the new one.  What would be a telltale sign indicating that my current screen has or does not have the protector on it?  In other words, what did you notice?

Read the messages we posted. The film has a glossy surface quite unlike the matte surface of the screen, and a dot matrix letter at the lower left that's hard to miss. ;)

John   [tips]   ThinkPad T470p:
Win8.1Pro64 | i7-7820HQ | 32GB | 512GB SSD | WQHD | AC | BT | Cam | FR
Options

51 Posts

10-06-2011

United States of America

55 Signins

598 Page Views

• Message 463 of 491

2012-01-18, 20:39 PM

Thanks for the response, John. 

I had seen mention earlier about the dot matrix letter, but the fact that your repairer had you sign a letter accepting any damages, etc, made me think it must be much more subtle, and that perhaps the screen protector was showing itself without the dot matrix letter for some people as well.

Options

769 Posts

08-07-2010

United States of America

1292 Signins

10446 Page Views

• Message 464 of 491

2012-01-18, 21:18 PM

connmen wrote:

Thanks for the response, John. 

I had seen mention earlier about the dot matrix letter, but the fact that your repairer had you sign a letter accepting any damages, etc, made me think it must be much more subtle, and that perhaps the screen protector was showing itself without the dot matrix letter for some people as well.

I tried to make clear that the letter was just to get the service depot to agree not to follow the bad instruction of Lenovo Service to order yet another replacement screen, which could have left the service depot on the hook for the part if Lenovo raised that as an issue. In other words, the problem was Lenovo Service, not the service depot. And I'm frankly dismayed that Lenovo Service still doesn't seem to have solved this issue.

Options

125 Posts

01-26-2011

Fort Stewart, GA

520 Signins

3885 Page Views

• Views: 3885
  • Message 465 of 491

2012-01-19, 1:04 AM

I noticed on the new screen what appeared to be rubbing or scratching.  Upon further review, I realized this was on a plastic cover.  My plastic cover was not like a "mirror" or glossy at all like some said.  I concluded that I had a cover on when I compared the screens, saw one was a little more shiny and that rubbing on the surface of the new one was consistent with a protective cover than the screen itself.

Were you present when the screen was changed?  If you were and they did not take a cover off . . . I would say you probably still have the cover on.  Without it my screen would have taken the rubbing I saw.

It was a thin plastic film.  I would guess if you use your fingernail you may be able to tell whether the surface "grabs" your nail or does not. 

Otherwise, you can remove the top part of the plastic bezel and use your fingernail to see if you can pick up a plastic edge - that's what I did, just used my fingernail at the one corner of the screen and it lifted right up. 

To reiterate, the surface was not shiny or glossy.  And there was no dot matrix letter.  On the back of the new IPS screen there were a few stickers (including the number 2 I think and maybe a letter).  

Options

51 Posts

10-06-2011

United States of America

55 Signins

598 Page Views

• Message 466 of 491

2012-01-19, 19:27 PM

Thanks for your clarification.  In my case, I did not watch the repair, so I don't know.  I removed the top part of the bezel and tested with fingernail.  Nothing there.  Probably in my case, the protector was taken off during the repair. 

Definitely, Lenovo needs to be on top of this.  Hope they have.

Options

13 Posts

12-13-2011

California

30 Signins

192 Page Views

• Views: 192
  • Message 467 of 491

2012-01-24, 5:00 AM

Got my laptop back today for the second time for the reasons I posted two pages back.  They did not replace my screen.  They actually called me after they received the laptop asking what was wrong as if they hadn't read my description on the form.  They said they would take a look and that was the last I heard until getting their standard email saying they shipped it back.  By the way, their email has no information as far as what, if anything, they did except for the standard tests that have nothing to do with my problems.  I expect some assessment, conclusion... something.  The shipping box was all beat up and had a large tear in it, but that must be UPS's fault - doesn't seemed to have caused any damage.

Back to the point, here's a photo I just took of the display:

http://i.imgur.com/DoT0D.jpg

This is with  full screen black image and full brightness.  It's hard to capture the horizontal lines, but you can see two of them here if you're on a good monitor, and the very bad backlight bleed.  The gap in the lower bezel is unchanged.  You can also see the bright pixel in the middle, but I know 1 bad pixel doesn't qualify for replacement.  I don't expect some flawless graphics-professional level display, but this is pretty far from decent quality.  I guess I will call them back again later.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 468 of 491

2012-01-24, 14:40 PM

Mongoose,

Thanks for the pic - that's pretty helpful .

How noticable is this during your normal use of the system?  

If you are willing to send it in again, I'd like one of our engineers to have a look at this panel rather than taking it through service again.  Could you contact me by PM?

Thanks!

Mark

Options

16 Posts

06-07-2011

Cincinnati, Ohio

37 Signins

197 Page Views

• Views: 197
  • Message 469 of 491

2012-02-23, 5:00 AM

I've had several replaced panels and parts do to attrocious build quality on my X220. I have the same issue as the other poster with the backlighting issue, it seems to get worse every time. I'm a programmer, I use a dark text editor for several hours a day. Uneven backlighting and giant yellow leaks isn't my idea of a "premium" IPS display. I was actually considering to purchase several hundred W520s for my design staff if this repair and service had gone well. Needless to say, yet another customer that Lenovo has lossed.

Options

769 Posts

08-07-2010

United States of America

1292 Signins

10446 Page Views

• Message 470 of 491

2012-02-23, 18:07 PM

jaykruer wrote:

I've had several replaced panels and parts do to attrocious build quality on my X220. I have the same issue as the other poster with the backlighting issue, it seems to get worse every time. I'm a programmer, I use a dark text editor for several hours a day. Uneven backlighting and giant yellow leaks isn't my idea of a "premium" IPS display. I was actually considering to purchase several hundred W520s for my design staff if this repair and service had gone well. Needless to say, yet another customer that Lenovo has lossed.

The W520 panel is different from the X220 panel (not to mention the totally different design of a totally different series). Your X220 experience isn't applicable. And you shouldn't judge any product line from a single sample (good or bad). You may have gotten a lemon. My own X220 has good build quality, albeit not as good as T-series, but that's due to weight constraints, and the replaced IPS panel is good with little backlight bleeding that's not noticeable in normal use*, albeit not as good as prior T-series IPS panels, but that's due to a lower price point. The X220 may simply not be a good fit for you -- you might be happier with (say) the T420s.

* While I have Eclipse configured with a light theme for software development (which I find much easier on the eyes than a dark theme), I do considerable work in Photoshop with a dark theme, with no noticeable backlight bleeding.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)