Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

56 Posts

05-12-2011

USA

68 Signins

402 Page Views

• Views: 402
  • Message 51 of 491

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

2011-06-25, 13:43 PM

After about a month of owining the machine, I see the ghosting now quite often.  As others have reported, its obvious in midtones and gradients the most.  Very annoying, as I've never see this happen in any other display I've owned.

Options

2 Posts

06-26-2011

Boston, MA

53 Signins

132 Page Views

• Views: 132
  • Message 52 of 491

2011-06-26, 3:25 AM

This is very interesting!  I too mailed my machine to the depot in early June, and just received it on the 23rd.  With it came no indication that the problem had not been resolved.  However, once I began using it today, I found that the image retention issue had not been fixed at all.  If it is true that the shipment of panels is not arriving until next month, it seems completely impossible that Lenovo could have even replaced it.

I find it absurd that they held my machine for three weeks before sending it back unrepaired, with no explanation whatsoever!

The statement that this is not a problem, but in fact a feature of the panels, is similarly absurd.  With no other LCD, IPS or not, have I seen such a ghosting problem.  It is extremely distracting, and I cannot imagine a single consumer who would prefer an IPS panel with this behavior to a lower cost TFT without. 

Also, a friend of mine ordered the same x220 and has had no ghosting issues, so I hope that different results may be possible.

I agree that all other aspects of the machine are great, and I wish that I could fully recommend it to others.  My experience with the display and with Lenovo support has made that impossible.

Options

271 Posts

05-31-2011

San Francisco

2743 Signins

7527 Page Views

• Views: 7527
  • Message 53 of 491

2011-06-26, 8:53 AM

wrote:
Also, a friend of mine ordered the same x220 and has had no ghosting issues, so I hope that different results may be possible.

Is this an X220 that you can personally look at (and hopefully do a side-by-side test)? It's a bit too informal and imprecise to come to any conclusion if your friend reported no ghosting issues. Your friend might not be as sensitive to the issue or conditions may be different.

Options

36 Posts

06-21-2011

United States

720 Signins

1196 Page Views

• Views: 1196
  • Message 54 of 491

2011-06-27, 18:17 PM

Hi, I just wanted show my respect for everyone here and followup on what is happening in my situation with the ghosting on my x220t.

I'm a professional photographer and student, so screen quality and precision is extremely important to me. Lenovo kept bragging that their IPS screen was so great, that's why I bought the x220t. Unfortunately Lenovo misslead us about the screen being good quality, as we are all painfully learning right now. No other screen we have ever used before, IPS or otherwise, has had ghosting like this. This is "not" acceptable, and definitely not "normal".

After several attempts to ask Lenovo to please replace my screen with one that does not have the faulty ghosting, I was told that the ugly ghosting is the way Lenovo intended the screen to look, and that even if I return the laptop, it will just be returned to me with another of the faulty screens on it. They refuse to take responsibility for the flaw in this laptop, and I was told that they have absolutely no intent to ever create a better replacement screen for the x220t.

I was surprised that Lenovo told me this, so I contacted the licensed reseller I bought the x220t from. He kindly called Lenovo himself and received the exact same, uncaring response. According to Lenovo the laptop screen is the way it should be, despite the ghosting flaws; and there is nothing they will do to replace or repair the situation.

I am being forced to return my laptop today to the place I bought it for a refund, then seek a replacement tablet from Fujitsu. We wanted to support Lenovo by buying their products, but for some reason Lenvovo doesn't want to support us by ensuring we are happy with our purchase. 

I hope that reading about my troubles (and everyone else's) in this post will help someone before they lose money the same way we did. All we want is a working screen, without ghosting, and without Lenovo claiming that it's "normal" for the screen to be faulty like this.

Options

228 Posts

01-07-2009

Gainesville Florida USA

5240 Signins

6721 Page Views

• Views: 6721
  • Message 55 of 491

2011-06-27, 19:03 PM

I discern no ghosting so far after a week of setup, installing and testing.

Options

3538 Posts

07-12-2010

Malaysia

5065 Signins

104816 Page Views

• Views: 104816
  • Message 56 of 491

2011-06-28, 7:54 AM
@Amscram and others,

We are discussing this with the X220t engineers regarding this issue. Appreciate everyone's patience while we get this sorted out with them.

//JameZ
Options

63 Posts

06-20-2011

UK

865 Signins

1248 Page Views

• Views: 1248
  • Message 57 of 491

2011-06-28, 10:47 AM

JameZ

You have been discussing the issues surrounding the X220 with the engineers for months now without proper solutions. Let's see what we have here:

1) Ghosting premium screen

2) Fan pulsing and weird noise

3) touchpad issues

4) throttling issues that renders the X220 to perform like a 5-6 years old laptop

5) Issues with SSD added

So far none of the above serious have been addressed while Lenovo is proudly selling DEFECTIVE units.

Can you tell us WHEN these issues will be sorted out satisfactorily?

I hope you and the Lenovo engineers can understand the meaning of the word WHEN.

Options

18 Posts

06-04-2011

Cranston

30 Signins

286 Page Views

• Views: 286
  • Message 58 of 491

2011-06-29, 16:04 PM

We may have tagged der72's post as "impatient," but, tone aside, he has a point. These problems have existed for months now without solutions or a coherent response from Lenovo. I think that there would be much less cause for impatience and general ire towards lenovo if they were more communicative about the status of these issues. At this point, I think that owners of the x220 have (justifiably) very little confidence that the problems with this laptop will be addressed and fixed.

Case in point, in this thread, we've had two basic responses from Lenovo: one saying that the problem isn't a problem, and one saying that "we're talking to the engineers." This isn't exactly reassuring for people with defective units, like myself. We aren't demanding immediate resolution, we know the world doesn't work that way. But if Lenovo wants to maintain consumer confidence, they should be communicating about this better. I would set up a blog or blog-like thread here where a lenovo employee gives details about what is being done to fix the spectrum of the issues that have cropped up with the x220.

More open-ness about the issues would really help, as people very much want to like their thinkpads. I know I do. The design and keyboard is great, but I can't live with a ghosting screen and weird throttling issues on a notebook that cost around 2k dollars. If more information (not necessarily a solution, just information) doesn't come out soon, I'll have to return it and seek a laptop elsewhere.

Options

10 Posts

06-29-2011

Germany

27 Signins

124 Page Views

• Views: 124
  • Message 59 of 491

2011-06-29, 17:06 PM

I also do experience the ghosting on my brand new x220 under Linux. Lenovo - the gosting is so strong, that you can read the text afterwards when you move the window. That's even a security issue!

Options

36 Posts

06-21-2011

United States

720 Signins

1196 Page Views

• Views: 1196
  • Message 60 of 491

2011-06-29, 18:18 PM

@underst0rm 

You bring up an extremely important issue! Lenovo should immediately release a public statement warning users of their IPS screens to not type in any personal or confidential data into their x220 laptops, since it would be possible for someone to steal your information even after you close all your windows.

Lenovo has stated that their goal is to make this laptop secure. According to the official Lenovo response in this post, the ghosting is normal behavior. Does this mean that Lenovo purposely allowed a potential security flaw in their product?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms