Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

18 Posts

06-04-2011

Cranston

30 Signins

286 Page Views

• Views: 286
  • Message 61 of 491

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

2011-06-29, 19:17 PM

Claims of a security risk are an exaggeration. While, yes, I can read the text on bookmarks from my bookmarks bar in the ghosted image and this is very obnoxious, a password isn't going to sit on-screen for 15 minutes in the same place. If we want to be taken seriously we should stick to a reasonable discussion of this problem, not hyperbole. 

Options

3538 Posts

07-12-2010

Malaysia

5065 Signins

104816 Page Views

• Views: 104816
  • Message 62 of 491

2011-06-30, 6:11 AM
@mogunus,

There are some updates which are P&C thus I am unable to post.

Ghosting issue wise, they are discussing it at their lab and I do not have any updates from them or any information about it thus I can't update what I don't know?

Throttling issue, the team is working on a BIOS now. How are they building the BIOS / code change, I do not have visibility on that. Also we are asking them why does it "semi-throttle" when using a 65w AC and not 90w AC.

//JameZ

Options

124 Posts

12-14-2007

NYC

701 Signins

1715 Page Views

• Views: 1715
  • Message 63 of 491

2011-06-30, 10:54 AM

One thing I'd like to know: is there significant variation in the degree of ghosting on different IPS X220 units? Or are they all fairly similar in this regard?

Options

36 Posts

06-21-2011

United States

720 Signins

1196 Page Views

• Views: 1196
  • Message 64 of 491

2011-06-30, 13:47 PM

@turnstyle

At this time it seems as if most customers have a similar degree of ghosting. It also seems that most of the IPS screens from Lenovo's x220(t) series get progressively worse over time.

I read in another forum that an editor at CNET is considering writing an article, warning people about the x220's bad screen, and several other of the buyers there have already reported Lenovo to the better business bureau and Consumer Reports magazine.  

I think most of us on this forum are really trying to give Lenovo a chance to do the right thing and replace their faulty IPS screens instead of us having to take such strong attactions ourselves. Lenovo is a good company, but their x220 screen flaw makes using it difficult and very annoying. We hope they will stand behind the quality and usability of their laptops in this case, and replace the faulty screen. 

Options

18 Posts

06-04-2011

Cranston

30 Signins

286 Page Views

• Message 65 of 491

2011-06-30, 14:02 PM

@JameZ

"There are some updates which are P&C thus I am unable to post."

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not blaming you, JameZ, I'm criticizing Lenovo for marking that information Private & Confidential. In a situation like this they should be making every effort to release any information they have to their customers. We don't even get time estimates from them.

All we want to know, at this point, is if they're going to fix the problem (ghosting) or not, and apparently they can't even give us updates on the progress of that deliberation process. All we have to go on, currently, is Mark's statement telling us that the problem isn't a problem. This looks really bad for Lenovo. Can you say anything about whether or not Mark's statement is true? Or is that confidential?

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 66 of 491

2011-06-30, 19:08 PM

Mogunus,

What I said is true - the current understanding is that what is being descributed is common to the panel.   It is also true that we have a case open with engineering to examine this carefully.

James could have chosen different words to explain that there is ongoing activity but that there is not yet an official and final answer on this case.   I'm sure you appreciate that.   

There are actually several symptoms that have been discussed in the thread.  The first posts from SR45 seem to be pointing to light bleed and other aspects of his particular display.  

Later the discussion moved on to the ghosting or after image effects demonstrated by "turnstyle" back on page 3, and that is the set of symptoms we are focused on for purpose of this discussion.   

In this group's experience, how long are you having to leave a static image on the screen before you see these effects?  5 mins?  10 mins? 15mins?    I'd like to get a clear defnition so we can compare against the panels we have here.

What kinds of scenarios are you encountering where you have a single image left up for 10 or 15 mins as a normal use case?  This is helpful to understand as well.

Thanks.

Options

18 Posts

06-04-2011

Cranston

30 Signins

286 Page Views

• Message 67 of 491

2011-06-30, 19:38 PM

Mark,

Previously, you said that this was "normal" for the panel, which suggests that the ghosting might be within-spec and thus not fixed by Lenovo. "Common" I'll certainly accept: that's an assessment of the prevalence of the behavior without a value-judgment as to whether it constitutes a defect or not.

Normal use case: fullscreen browser. The UI elements of the browser (tabs, address bar, navigation tools, scroll bar arrows, bookmarks bar) will "burn in" after about 15 minutes. When you switch to a fullscreen text editor, especially with a grey background, all the UI elements are left on the screen for about half an hour, and slowly fade after that. 

So, if you spend just 15 minutes reading docs in a web browser and then switch over to an editor to do some coding, you have ghosted UI chrome all over the top of your code. It is extremely annoying.

Options

124 Posts

12-14-2007

NYC

701 Signins

1715 Page Views

• Views: 1715
  • Message 68 of 491

2011-06-30, 20:13 PM

I'm glad my photo was useful. For that one, I had simply been listening to music; when I minimized the app, it remained ghosted over the desktop.

I no longer have my X220 (it's with ezserv) but I had then assumed ghosting would show if only *some* of the screen remained static, rather than the whole screen. For example, sitting here right now, in my web browser, typying in this message -- some of the screen might change, but much of it remains static.

Other examples are: coffee break, answering a phone call, etc.

fwiw, I also noticed the logon prompt get ghosted once when I rebooted but didn't log back in right away.

HTH,  -Scott

Options

18 Posts

06-04-2011

Cranston

30 Signins

286 Page Views

• Message 69 of 491

2011-06-30, 20:19 PM
Yeah, good point. I can be scrolling web pages the whole time, but as the UI remains static, it will in fact ghost.
Options

41 Posts

06-08-2011

United States

572 Signins

916 Page Views

• Views: 916
  • Message 70 of 491

2011-07-01, 4:05 AM

After using the computer for more than 15 minutes, the windows taskbar will become burned in to the screen. Opening any application with a solid colored background lets me see a clear afterimage of the taskbar ant any programs I had open.

I once ran memtest for about 40 minutes. Afterward, I switched to a gray background and could clearly read the results of the test burned into my screen. Unfortunately, my cell phone camera is not sensitive enough to capture this.

I am not a graphics designer or frequent photoshop user, so accurate colors are not a priority for me, and neither is brightness.

I am, however, an engineer and programmer. I strongly feel that I shoul not be able to read the code I was writing after I minimize the IDE.

I figured that the good viewing angles were worth the small price increase, along with higher brightness and extra colors as a bonus. However, I'm willing to give these up to avoid the ghosting. Also, It seems that the responce time on the IPS screen is somewhat slower than what I'm used to. It is on par with my really old LCD screen from 2003. My 2005 BenQ LCD with 8ms responce seems sharper when displaying moving objects. How fast is the gray-to-gray response on the basic TN screens?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms