12-19-2007

Miami FL

9 Signins

123 Page Views

• Views: 123
  • Message 1 of 3

Rescue and Recovery Password

2007-12-19, 11:07 AM

I have an x41 with a painfully unbearable slow HDD. I have backed everything up and am ready to perform the Rescue and Recovery, but I have one little problem. I can not remember the Rescue and Recovery password it is prompting me for.

I'm not sure what password it is asking for either. Is it the supervisor password? 

I do NOT have a HDD password NOR do I have a BIOS password set (I can access BIOS with out a problem).

So I have spent about a week researching how to get past this Rescue and Recovery password. I have two solutions.

This is from the Lenovo site: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-55198 

I need a clarification for this solution though. The article is telling me to, "...you will need to uninstall and reinstall the IBM Rescue and Recovery with Rapid Restore software." Now do I just use 'Add / Remove Programs in the Control Panel to uninstall?  

Also, where do I get the software to reinstall? 

This is another solution using a keymaker and soldering pins, which looks very ugly and something I really do not want to do, but has anyone done this? Does it work?

I am of course open to your suggestions too.

Thanks

Mike

Miami

moderator note: link deleted. no links to sites, which claim to recover passwords.

Options

3 Posts

12-19-2007

Miami FL

9 Signins

123 Page Views

• Views: 123
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Rescue and Recovery Password

2007-12-19, 11:23 AM
Just another tidbit of info

I checked the version of Rescue and recovery in 'Add and Remove Progrmas' fromt he support link and it says my version is 2.02.0178
Options

19 Posts

11-24-2007

Toronto ON.

30 Signins

1275 Page Views

• Views: 1275
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Rescue and Recovery Password

2007-12-19, 14:57 PM
Possible solutions:

1. Look at the solution I linked to on Thinkpads.com Support Community:

Rescue and Recovery password?

2. Upgrade to more recent version of ThinkVantage Recovery ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery 4.1:

Rescue and Recovery 4.1 for Windows XP and 2000

I am leaving this to you to research whether you can directly upgrade version 2.x to 4.x or you'll need to fulfill some requirements. You can find all this information on the download pages of respective versions of Rescue and Recovery.

3. The installation setup for Rescue and Recovery 2.x should already reside on your machine under: C:\IBMTOOLS\APPS\IBMRNR.EXE.

4. The mentioned key method is not going to help you to solve this problem since the password isn't hardware chipset based and is merely a software based restriction.

EDIT: If your aim is just to put back your machine to out of the box factory state AND your backups are on an external media then you can also use lenovo's Product Recovery disks (which you must or should've created or even still can create if you haven't) to start things up from ground zero by rebuilding your partition from scratch. Give this method a shot too, if required.

Message Edited by ryengineer on 12-19-2007 10:11 AM
..................................................................................................
I've come a long, long way," she said, "and I will go as far,
With the man who takes me from my horse, and leads me to a bar."
The man who took her off her steed, and stood her to a beer,
Were a bleary-eyed Surveyor and a DRUNKEN ENGINEER.

Present: T60 2007-55U, IBM 701c,
WorkStation: IBM IntelliStation A Pro.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete