12-04-2008 08:03 AM
12-04-2008 09:24 AM
welcome to the forum!
Bought a new Lenovo X200 recently and was told that Windows Server 2008 would run on it with no compatibility issues for drivers but found that I was given bad information (yes, from a Lenovo Salesman).
did this information come from a lenovo phone sales rep or a dealer who resells lenovo products? windows server OSes are not officially supported on any thinkpad and never have been. inside sales reps should all be aware of this fact but i cannot speak for resellers.
regardless, all hope isn't lost yet. just keep in mind that there is still a chance that you won't get everything working.
with that said, have you tried vista drivers for the X200 found here?
if so, have you tried to install drivers manually? here is the process:
- download the driver
- run the .exe and note its installation location
- open device manager and right-click the device with the yellow bang and select 'update driver software...'
- select the 'browse your computer' option
- click on the 'let me pick from a list' button
- click the 'have disk' button
- browse to where the driver package extracted and select the main directory
- click 'ok'
Share your input on the Retro ThinkPad Time Machine
12-04-2008 10:44 AM
Hey Thanks Erik,
It is an inside sales rep. firstname.lastname@example.org. I will refrain from posting his name because he has been very helpful through many other transactions. He supposedly confirmed it would work froma support resource with Lenovo; but I digress.
I originally tried the Vista drivers, then the XP drivers, neither set installs the NIC drivers. Understand that I am OK with some loss of functionality, but I 'Must' have the LAN Ethernet working. I need to be able to plug into a switched network to push images to computer lab workstations. I cannot do this using a wireless connection. I almost wish it was the other way around (wireless won't work, LAN does)....Murphy's Law I guess.
If anyone has a work around or some things to try, I'm game. Just send me your information and I'll see if it works. This is the first time I've ran into a NIC driver problem I haven't been able to overcome. Go figure~~
12-07-2008 07:01 PM - edited 12-07-2008 07:10 PM
Here is my solution:
1. Do dowoload the x200 ethernet driver for vista from lenovo
2. Extract the drive package
3. Install the drive form path: C:\DRIVERS\Vista\ETHERNET\APPS\SETUP\SETUPBD\Vista
4. Go to device manager, locate the unknown device (Ethernet controller) > right click > Update drivr software
5, Select Browser my computer for driver software
6, Select Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer
7, Select Select network adapter
8, Select Intel, with corresponding driver selection "82567LM-2 Gigabit..."
9, Install the driver, finally, you should got your ethernet work!
Actually, I think this is truth that there are some drivers (or thinkvantage software compatibility) issues of X200 with Windows server 2008, but after my testing, there are around 90% of them work fine ~