Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

145 Posts

03-11-2012

dc

3733 Signins

7583 Page Views

• Views: 7583
  • Message 1 of 5

X220 IPS display: ghosting + white splotches = no warranty repair by Lenovo

2013-01-14, 15:41 PM

Hi,

The IPS display in my x220 has a few white blotches. It also exhibits the common image retention / ghosting issue that has been well documented on these forums.

I sent it in for depot warranty service. The service center said the white splotches are pressure damage therefore the entire LCD is no longer covered and they will not replace it under warranty.

1. I'm very careful with the machine and do not believe I inflicted any "pressure damage" on the screen. Have any of you ever convinced Lenovo that something like this was not your fault?

2. I really doubt the alleged pressure damage caused the image retention. It feels like they are hiding behind a technicality to avoid doing the repair; i.e. they say there is physical damage so the entire warranty on the display is void for all issues even those unrelated to pressure damage.

Any suggestions? Or should I just give up and move on?

Thanks!

Options

498 Posts

12-11-2012

North Carolina

274 Signins

15035 Page Views

• Views: 15035
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: X220 IPS display: ghosting + white splotches = no warranty repair by Lenovo

2013-01-17, 14:37 PM

Hello Grisjuan,

I can make no guarantees, but can you please private message me your Serial Number and any case numbers or service order numbers you may have.

Thank you

Thank you for being a part of the Lenovo Family,

Catie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Donate KUDOS and Click "Accepted Solution"
Options

6 Posts

01-17-2013

Australia

15 Signins

81 Page Views

• Views: 81
  • Message 3 of 5

2013-01-17, 15:35 PM
I have this as well, both the blotchy white dots and the (temporary) ghosting. I think it's quite common on the IPS from what I've heard, and definitely not a user fault. I just chose to ignore it.
Options

145 Posts

03-11-2012

dc

3733 Signins

7583 Page Views

• Views: 7583
  • Message 4 of 5

2013-01-17, 19:29 PM
Interesting! I've heard a lot about the ghosting from people on these forums but not as much about the white spots.
Options

2 Posts

09-30-2012

Germany

35 Signins

504 Page Views

• Views: 504
  • Message 5 of 5

2013-01-18, 17:48 PM

The white blotches/spots are a common problem with X220/230 IPS panels. My guess is that Lenovo's design for the screen is faulty so that even normal handling can flex it enough to cause those pressure points if the display happens to be on the lower end of their spec. Either that or its just a manufacturing error, I wouldn't know.

Mine (X230) also has them without me abusing it. I wanted to get it repaired onsite under warranty (I have TPP) but the support person handling the ticket already hinted at that it most likely wouldn't be covered in which I'd have to pay for the technician in that case.

In http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-IPS-display-problem-weird-bright-spot-on-the-screen/td-p/546641 Mark_Lenovo asked for pictures and I sent them (~3 months ago). Never heard back. I sent him a new PM asking for an update and other stuff about a month ago but he hasn't replied to that either up to now.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms