Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionY Gaming Accessories & Curved Gaming Monitors
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

12-11-2019

Hungary

3 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 1 of 2

External GPU for Lenovo Legion Y720

2019-12-11, 8:34 AM

Hey guys!
I would like to ask for some help. I want to use an external GPU for my laptop, and I don't exactly know, if the laptop even capable of it or not.

This is the GPU that I had my eyes on: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2070IXEB-8GC#kf

Is it compatible? Can my laptop handle external GPU-s at all? 
Thanks for the help in advance :) 

Answer
Options

601 Posts

08-01-2018

United States of America

409 Signins

10530 Page Views

• Views: 10530

Re: External GPU for Lenovo Legion Y720

2019-12-11, 12:58 PM

Hi t_marton!

Welcome to the Community Forums!

We've checked the specifications and features of the Y720 and yes, it support external GPU using the Thunderbolt 3 port. It will work with the Nvidia 2070 eGPU. 

Be mindful using external GPU's as there are also its own hardware/firmware updates to reach the maximum capabilities of the eGPU. 

Source : https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-y-series/Legion-Y720/p/88GMY700794
"The USB that does it all, Thunderbolt™ lets you transfer files faster and reduce the number of different ports you need. Easily transferring data at speeds of up to 40Gbps, this compact port is unrivaled in uses — from streaming 4K video, charging with single-cable docks, pushing your games to the maximum settings with external graphics, to networking with built-in 10 Gbe.Thunderbolt™ 3 delivers the best USB-C has to offer."

Hope this helps answer your query.

Regards,

Jerry_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

601 Posts

08-01-2018

United States of America

409 Signins

10530 Page Views

• Views: 10530
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: External GPU for Lenovo Legion Y720

2019-12-11, 12:58 PM

Hi t_marton!

Welcome to the Community Forums!

We've checked the specifications and features of the Y720 and yes, it support external GPU using the Thunderbolt 3 port. It will work with the Nvidia 2070 eGPU. 

Be mindful using external GPU's as there are also its own hardware/firmware updates to reach the maximum capabilities of the eGPU. 

Source : https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-y-series/Legion-Y720/p/88GMY700794
"The USB that does it all, Thunderbolt™ lets you transfer files faster and reduce the number of different ports you need. Easily transferring data at speeds of up to 40Gbps, this compact port is unrivaled in uses — from streaming 4K video, charging with single-cable docks, pushing your games to the maximum settings with external graphics, to networking with built-in 10 Gbe.Thunderbolt™ 3 delivers the best USB-C has to offer."

Hope this helps answer your query.

Regards,

Jerry_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms