10-22-2019

CL

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 7

Help with K500 gaming keyboard keycaps

2019-10-22, 15:08 PM

Hi I have  a k500 gaming keyboard. I was cleaning my keyboard and one of the keycaps broke. I need to get replacement keycaps. The lenovo repair service can sell this kind of "replacements" directly to customers? the local site (chile) does not offer chat support currently.

Options

619 Posts

08-02-2018

US

302 Signins

2148 Page Views

• Views: 2148
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Help with K500 gaming keyboard keycaps

2019-10-22, 22:00 PM

Hi coldfiremc!

Thanks for posting,

I'm afraid service center won't be able to provide just the keys. Besides, authorized service centers listed only supports devices such as laptops, desktops, smartphones, tablets, and servers.

https://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/solutions/ht118678?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 (Filter by Country>Enter the Region)

You may try contacting the nearest local stores, or check any 3rd party online stores as they may be selling these keys per pieces.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

6 Posts

10-22-2019

CL

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

Re: Help with K500 gaming keyboard keycaps

2019-10-22, 22:22 PM

ok. the question actually is that if "lenovo makes this spare/replacement" or not, and if this is the case, what is exactly the part number or something like that of the keys, or the complete keyset and if is being sold somewhere in the world.

Options

16 Posts

09-19-2020

CA

31 Signins

370 Page Views

• Views: 370
  • Message 4 of 7

Re:Help with K500 gaming keyboard keycaps

2020-10-01, 0:28 AM

Hi!

This reply is most likely coming way too late to be of any use to you but in case anyone has a similar problem a key cap meant for a Cherry MX key switch will work (with some exceptions, like the space bar and neighboring keys on some name brand keyboards).

The K500 does not use Cherry MX key switches but uses something compatible.

Of course you have to find something meant for a backlit keyboard if you want the key to be backlit.

The only place where I saw an assortment (and not some very specific keys like the Ctrl, Alt, arrow keys, etc...) of key caps being sold was on Fleabay... 

If you replace one key (and not all the keys as I did to improve my keyboard backlighting) don't expect the look to be a perfect match to the other keys unless it comes from another K500.

I personally replaced all of the keys on my K500 keyboard with what is called "pudding keycaps":

I actually used two different keycap set but the look was roughly the same with both. The only issue I had was with the menu key which was not available in one set and the right Windows key in the other... I replaced both with the "Fn" key which for some weird reason both key caps manufacturer thought was more important than the usual key that should be there... I did contact both and I will be able to get the keys I would like to have...

There are other variants of these keycaps being sold so if you don't like the "pudding" look you might be able to find something more suitable...

Just keep in mind that the LED that lights up each key is at the top of the key so buy a set meant for this, do not buy a set where the lettering is at the front of the key, those are meant for keyboards where the LED is at the bottom of the key and it won't work well with the K500...

As I said above you have to find something meant for a backlit keyboard if you want the key to be backlit.

Another solution is to have one of your friends buy a new key set for their keyboard and give/sell you their old keys... 😉

I got one of the keycap set from the "smile" store, the other from a well known Chinese "Express" store...

Good luck!

Nick

Options

6 Posts

10-22-2019

CL

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-10-01, 1:33 AM

Thanks

I taken that solution, to buy a complete set of generic cherry keycaps. However, some keys are of kinda unusual sizes for a mechanical keyboard(ctrl, alt, windows, enter and spacebar) so I'm using it mixed, but the biggest problem is the spacebar, has a kinda rare size of 5.5 u, that's the why I insisted to ask about the original keycaps. I also bought cherry switches because corrosion in some of the original keys. Keyboard is big enough and I write lots and lots, so I put clicky switches (Green). Was easy and the PCB of this keyboard looks very durable. If someone know how to get the parts, please say.

Anyway, thanks for your time and your answer.

Options

16 Posts

09-19-2020

CA

31 Signins

370 Page Views

• Views: 370
  • Message 6 of 7

2020-10-02, 19:26 PM

Hi coldfiremc!

You would not happen to have a localized version of the K500 by any chance?

(i.e. not a US English layout)

I had no trouble finding a suitable set of keys for my K500 but it has a US English layout, not a localized version.

My native language is not English but I know where the diacritics/accents are when I change the keyboard layout so I unless the computer is provided by my work place my keyboard usually has a US English layout.

e,g, my work provided Lenovo P1 laptop has a localized keyboard layout, my personal Lenovo X1 extreme laptop has a US English keyboard layout.

I am a programmer so most of the time I either code in English or at least without using diacritics/accents (because of the character set issues they tend to cause) so I feel more comfortable with a US English layout.

I did not know about "u" units (only U/RU units used for rack-mountable stuff...) so I did some research and it looks like my Lenovo K500 space bar is 6u which I believe is a more common size.

I believe one of the tricks used to have an idea of how many "u" a space bar is is to count the number of keys on top of it... There's a slight offset but as you can see on the picture I posted of my Lenovo K500 its space bar appears to be of 6u.

I did some research and while I did find some 5.5u space bar keys none of the ones I found were for backlit keyboard.

I was tempted to ask the vendor of one of the pudding keycaps I used if by any chance he had suitable 5.5u space bars but if your K500 space bar is 5.5u it probably means that other keys are shorter or longer than what they call their "standard" layout and I do not know their length... If you are interested I can contact her/him on your behalf if you give me the length of your other keys or send you their contact info in a pm...

(It looks like that vendor might also be the manufacturer so there`s a chance (s)e might be able to do something custom or be interested to offer other localized layouts (I think they offer Japanese, Arabic, Russian and Korean layouts right now for some of their key caps...).

I wish I was as good as you with a soldering iron, I would convert at least one of my K500 to at least blue switches, something I am more used to.... Unfortunately when it comes to soldering my specialty is cold solder joints... :-(

You are most welcome and have a nice day!

Nick

Options

6 Posts

10-22-2019

CL

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2020-10-03, 19:33 PM

It would be really nice to check if there are better keys and stabilizers. PM please. thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete