Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionY Gaming Accessories & Curved Gaming Monitors
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

12-18-2019

United States of America

11 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 41 of 81

Re:Legion Y44w-10 KVM Setup

2020-10-26, 18:14 PM

@ Lum wrote:

Just adding to this. It was definitely advertised as a gaming monitor that has KVM functionality.  The most obvious use case for such a monitor is people who have a gaming rig and a work laptop. Particularly in these times of covid, but I bought mine pre-covid intending to use that exact setup.

The top-end gaming features of this monitor (e.g. 144Hz refresh) ONLY work on DisplayPort, so even if people have a USB-C capable graphics card, they're not going to want to use that connection.

FYI, I am able to get 144Hz over USB-C, but only on the 10G port connection and I had to use a better cable than I was originally using, and only on my more powerful laptop. The 5G connection will cause my laptop to go down in refresh rate.

Options

4 Posts

09-09-2020

United States of America

7 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 42 of 81

2020-10-31, 21:46 PM

I think the only one way to attract Lenovo's attention to the KVM issues is by leaving negative reviews on this product. I don't want to do it, as I really like the rest of the monitor's features.

I'm a hardware and software engineer myself and I understand that fixing something in FW can be hard or even impossible. I want to give Lenovo engineers more time to react before I start posting negative reviews. And I suggest everyone to do the same.

If Lenovo engineers are aware of the issues and are working on the fix (or even if the fix is impossible) - I'd like them to give us an update. If they are not reading the thread or if they are ignoring it - maybe a burst of negative reviews will help them understand our frustration. It is an expensive monitor and KVM is an advertised feature - please fix the issues.

Here's what I'd like from Lenovo support:

1. Actually do make a new FW release and post it on your website with instructions. Explain what's new in the FW. If it doesn't address KVM issues - I won't bother with the update. 

This thread used to have a FW download link (which is now broken) for P44w. On the Y44w page you currently have only 2 utilities: Artery and the color profile file - none of them will help with KVM issues.

2. When another HDMI device is getting plugged in (imagine your kids turn on/off a projector also connected to your PC) the monitor resets both its Display and USB input streams to USB 10G. Not sure if it is a bug or a feature.. If it's a feature - please give me a way to turn it off. 

3. Please give us an option to link video source (e.g. DisplayPort) with a certain USB input (e.g. 5G_USB_3.1) so that we could switch both at the same time in OSD menu. Currently we have to select Video input (a few OSD buttons), wait, then a few more buttons to select USB inputs.

4. I personally don't use the GameMode button - please give me a way to use it for KVM (see #3 above - I'd like both video and usb input selection controlled by this menu). 

For those who do use the GameMode button - I believe the Artery software already provides an easy way to switch between the Game Mode profiles. Maybe the Artery software could be updated to switch the profiles via keyboard shortcuts. I wish we could have something like this for KVM.. Only in my dreams I guess..

Options

31 Posts

10-26-2018

United States of America

43 Signins

243 Page Views

• Views: 243
  • Message 43 of 81

2020-11-01, 14:57 PM

I agree with all that @Nik717 said. If our 5 page and continuously updating thread about the lack of a KVM in a KVM-advertised monitor is not drawing attention, then we should try writing objective reviews that include the lack of KVM functionality.

Because @Nik717 and others like me who approached this monitor already know how a KVM works, it would be fair to expect 2 ways to switch the KVM selection:

1. Monitor button press to toggle between KVM selections. This one’s been the default expectation in this thread and also what’s easier to implement in the firmware update.
  2. Keyboard combination to toggle between KVM selections. Initially might sound easy but this one is actually harder to implement. What KVM vendors do to offer this is to label in the device the USB input that will receive the keyboard so they can do the mapping in the device and avoid another layer that is analyzing all USB inputs for key combos. For us users it presents the challenge to drive the wire to that selected monitor input. But, if you have experienced the convenience of swapping KVM inputs without moving your hands away from the keyboard, you’ll do what it takes to enable it, I guarantee.

Options

31 Posts

10-26-2018

United States of America

43 Signins

243 Page Views

• Views: 243
  • Message 44 of 81

2020-11-01, 15:09 PM

@masms0n wrote:

Just by the way, I had similar problem and I found out that it's grayed out when the HDR was enabled

The case with my grayed out brightness control (therefore unable to change brightness) Is related to the monitor firmware crashing. I don’t enable HDR. The issue happens randomly about twice or trice a week and it is fixed with a reset from the menu. I’ve been meaning to update the firmware back from the P44W to the Y44W. For context, the previous solution that was suggested in this thread was a firmware update that went wrong as it was de-Legionizing the monitors and ThinkVisionising them. Mine is de-Legionized at the moment. Luckily for newcomers that firmware update is no longer an option.

@Elmorama wrote:

In my case I do plug/unplug the laptop, that's why it seems simpler to me :-)

This ^^^^ is what the Lenovo project manager and engineering team should read because your feature just cannot be used. Your users have to resort to manually swap the cables like we were 1900 phone operators.

Options

3 Posts

10-19-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 10
  • Message 45 of 81

2020-11-01, 21:36 PM

Another way is a software Kvm. LG does it and essentially makes the mouse and keyboard work across 2 inputs. BTW my monitor was RMA (no sound through hdmi) after one day so they know this monitor doesn't work. The firmware and hardware is just broken. Iiyama had issues and they recalled all monitors and updated the firmware. Lenovo clearly doesn't give a **bleep** otherwise they would be updating us on these issues

Options

10 Posts

11-19-2020

Austria

13 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 46 of 81

2020-11-19, 22:20 PM

Well... reading all that sucked... got the same problems. I'm using a X1 Yoga for work and was looking for a Display with integrated KVM, USB-C hub and gaming features. Found the Y44w-10 and got it 2 days ago... I ordered it directly from Lenovos homepage, got it 2 days after the order, so fine so good, but its with old FW 1.2 and there is no one button KVM... I was thinking to update the FW to 1.6 as mentioned but after reading the last 2 posts here i guess i'll make a better statement for Lenovo to read. I work during the day with my notebook and use my private desktop pc at the evening, do you really think pushing several button every day to switch the dp-input and usb-source is a KVM?

I'll send that fault advertised KVM missing display back on your cost because **bleep**!? I guess some bad reviews on Amazon and other price-search-sites will follow, because you ignored all that frustrated buyers and you didn't even offer the original FW or the FW-updates at your support-page under downloads, what a mess, shame on you!!

DON'T BUY THE Y44w-10 IF YOU NEED THE (one Button) KVM FEATURE, THERE IS NONE!!!

Options

14 Posts

12-18-2019

United States of America

11 Signins

98 Page Views

• Message 47 of 81

2020-11-19, 23:29 PM

I'm on board with the leaving bad reviews idea. Let's do it!

FALSE ADVERTISING! THERE IS NO KVM! LENOVO, PLEASE LISTEN TO US!

Options

14 Posts

12-18-2019

United States of America

11 Signins

98 Page Views

• Message 48 of 81

2020-11-19, 23:46 PM

I left my review on this Amazon listing: https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Legion-Y44w-10-DWUXGA-Monitor/dp/B0833689WT

Options

14 Posts

12-18-2019

United States of America

11 Signins

98 Page Views

• Message 49 of 81

2020-11-20, 0:07 AM

I also left a review on the Lenovo product page. Let's see if they let it through - it was an honest review.

Options

18 Posts

10-06-2020

France

20 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 50 of 81

2020-11-28, 7:48 AM

FYI, the page where the updates regarding this monitor are posted : https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/sv/en/products/monitors-and-projectors/lcd-monitors/lenovo-y44w-10/documentation/

Still looking from time to time hoping for something new to appear.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms