Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionY Gaming Accessories & Curved Gaming Monitors
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

11-19-2020

Austria

13 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 71 of 79

Re:Legion Y44w-10 KVM Setup

2021-02-08, 19:34 PM

He Lum,

first i use the 5G with my work laptop a X1 Thinkpad, this worked for me, never thought about the 60Hz limit, but your right, that would be a reason to change my arrangement! Because i use my main PC over DPport anyway. I didn't experience any automated input switching, but i only used it today, i'll have an eye on that! I use Displayport for the display and usb-c for the usb-c hub on may main desktop pc and usb-c only for my work laptop.

Second, do you use your USB-C on your Gpu to hookup your Display only or do you (i guess) also use it for your usb-hub and devises like mouse and keyboard!? Because the usb-c on, lets say a gtx 1080 or similar Gpus, is not fully compatible to usb-c standard! That port works for diplayport over usb-c but i had loads of problems with other devices, like VR-headset, input devices or data storage!

Options

6 Posts

10-25-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

8 Signins

30 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 30
  • Message 72 of 79

2021-02-08, 20:48 PM

My gaming PC is an XPS13 9370 laptop with a thunderbolt3 eGPU, so I avoid using the USB-C on my 2080 (even if HDR did work) as I don't want to take up even more of the limited bandwidth with things like Ethernet. Because of that I've not tried it and just hook up a second USB cable to my laptop. I'm told that even though it's VirtuaLink it's still full USB and VirtuaLinx is just DisplayPort + USB on the same cable, which USB-C is capable of doing anyway. No idea what it's like on a 1080, sorry. (I upgraded from an ancient Radeon 7970 that's served me well for many years)

The 60Hz limit is the only reason to bother with swapping to the 10G port, it's not a major issue in my line of work (sysadmin) but on such a big monitor a 120Hz refresh means you don't lose track of the mouse pointer as easily. I haven't been able to get 144Hz on the 10G port, but again not a huge issue for a work laptop.

The automated USB input switching does go away if only one computer is switched on. It seems the monitor gets confused when both USB ports have valid USB hosts on them, which is another reason Lenovo ought to acknowledge my idea of linking a USB port to another input.

Options

10 Posts

11-19-2020

Austria

13 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 73 of 79

2021-02-09, 18:17 PM

Okay, if your main "rig" is also a laptop, that's a different story, the notebooks usb-c is a different implementation, that's a real usb-c port according to specs. i was talking about the usb-c ports on a dedicated desktop gpu, does are not.

Funny i realized too day, that my desktop PC was running day and night because i switched of power saving for testing something. During the day i was using my work notebook and didn't had any switching problems, even with my desktop running. One thing i can say is, i changed the usb-c cable i got with the legion display, because i had problems with my input devices randomly stop working. At that time the other system wasn't running and the displaylink over the same usb-c also worked fine, but since i changed to a proper 100 watts capable usb-c cable all the problems dispersed! Maybe your problem is similar, do you use the original usb-c cable??

Options

6 Posts

10-25-2020

8 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 74 of 79

2021-02-09, 19:28 PM

It's a bit more complicated than that. I'm using a Razer CoreX eGPU which is basically a Thunderbolt -> PCI-E bridge that you can plug a desktop graphics card into, in my case an RTX2080.

I am using the original USB-C cable with my work laptop though, been trying to find non-awful cables and its a minefield. Apparently Lenovo also couldn't pull it off :D

Options

18 Posts

10-06-2020

France

20 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 75 of 79

2021-02-13, 10:00 AM

Updated to the ThinkVision firmware. Everything went fine

Of course I experience the same behaviour as Lum does.

The OSD looks better to me.

The one button USB source switching is great for my usage.

Options

30 Posts

10-26-2018

United States of America

41 Signins

228 Page Views

• Views: 228
  • Message 76 of 79

2021-02-15, 0:13 AM

Conclusion: Mixed bag. Lenovo really need to fix this properly. I'd still like the ability to simply tie one (or both) of the USBs to a non-USB input so when you switch to a computer it switches your keyboard too. Is that really so hard?

Well, it has been proven rather hard because they never implemented a KVM in the P/Y44w-10 and they haven't listened to us. This thread is open since Nov 2019, it has 8,500+ views, 70+ replies and it is the first search result when googling "lenovo y44w-10 kvm". Lenovo is either looking away or they've realized they can't make a KVM work inside the Y44w-10.

Here is a Guide how to get KVM working, it's flashing Thinkvision P44w firmware, but i guess the only difference is the casing and firmware, everything works! 

I went back and forth from the ThinkVision firmware only to find shortcut buttons for video source switch and USB switch. That is just not a KVM, I get it, it is faster than the Legion button arrangement but still not what was promised.

Also, what is this nonsense of the 1.6 firmware version that displays 1.5? I updated it twice and still shows 1.5. Is the Lenovo engineering department a sad place?

Options

18 Posts

10-06-2020

France

20 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 77 of 79

2021-02-16, 18:17 PM

FYI, I noticed some bugs in the ThinkVision OSD when you try to select a value in some of the menus.

Nothing really problematic but it shows the level of involvement of Lenovo for this product...

Options

6 Posts

10-25-2020

8 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 78 of 79

2021-02-18, 21:01 PM

I mean unless those glitches also occur on real P44W, I don't think it's fair to blame Lenovo for that. If you're gonna cross-flash firmware you're pretty much on your own.

The lack of KVM and the incorrectly displaying v1.5 in the 1.6 firmware still backs up your argument though :)

Options

30 Posts

10-26-2018

United States of America

41 Signins

228 Page Views

• Views: 228
  • Message 79 of 79

2021-02-18, 22:49 PM

I mean unless those glitches also occur on real P44W, I don't think it's fair to blame Lenovo for that. If you're gonna cross-flash firmware you're pretty much on your own.

While there is people in this thread who seems to want to check if the KVM appears in the P44W (spoiler, it doesn’t) by flashing their Y44W, my journey through the Y44W to ThinkVision and back to Y44W was not my intention but actually caused by a failure in the Lenovo firmware update process. I detailed it here, here, here and here. TL;DR, they issued a firmware update named for both monitor models but when you apply it, it would make your monitor a ThinkVision, regardless of what your hardware is. They later removed the article.

Edit: correcting confusing monitor models.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)