Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Yoga Book CommunityYoga Book (Android)
All Forum Topics
Options

98 Posts

07-07-2014

Switzerland

120 Signins

722 Page Views

• Views: 722
  • Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Book: UI scaling too large (DPI too low)

2017-02-11, 20:51 PM

I own a Lenovo Yoga Tab 10 HD+ and the new Lenovo Yoga Book (Android). Both are excellent devices. However, when I compare the two, I notice that the scaling of the UI seems to be different, although the both have the same display resolution (1920 x 1200, Full HD). On the Yoga Book, everything seems to be a little larger. I would be fine with this, but for some apps it has negative effects:

• In "Aquamail" and "Mobile Access for Outlook": when you open the settings on the HD+, the app is split into two panels: on the left side, the option groups are displayed, on the right side, the individual options are shown. This allows you to easily change an option and immediately choose another option group. On the Book, however, once you enter an option group, it fills the entire display, the list of group disappears. You always have to use the back button to get back to the list of option groups.
  • In "Xodo", the toolbar is larger, sacrificing valuable reading real estate. 
  • In the game "battle beach": when you want to build units, the "unit screen" on the HD+ displays all possible units at once. On the book, the symbols are so large, that you need to scroll through two unit screens (using arrows) in order to see all the units.

It seems to me that some apps treat the yoga book as if it were a much smaller device (e.g. a phone). Maybe the slightly larger scaling just passes some kind of threshold.

In terms of scaling, the UI experience on the HD+ is much better. I hence suggest to change the scaling of the Book to be the same as on the HD+ (or better yet: add an option for the user to adjust the scaling).

I know there are apps that can adjust the scaling, but they require root access, which is not a desirable solution.

@Lenovo: could you please look into this?

Thank you very much.

edit:

• changing the font size does not help with above problems
  • DPI on the HD+ is 240, on the book 280

edit2:

I managed to change DPI to 240 using ADB. This indeed fixed the issues for "Aquamail" and "Mobile Access for Outlook" :) The issue with "battle beach" remains, though. The bar in xodo got smaller, hower, the "gained" space is now wasted by an additional bar in dark blue or white.

-> DPI is part of the story, but apparently not the full story, something else seems to define the scaling of apps.

Answer
Options

98 Posts

07-07-2014

Switzerland

120 Signins

722 Page Views

Re: Lenovo Book: UI scaling too large (DPI too low)

2017-02-13, 21:09 PM

I was being stupid, changing the DPI to 240 totally does the trick. There never was an issue with "Battle Beach", it behaves exactly the same on the 10 HD+. Xodo adapts nicely to the new DPI, resulting in a smaller toolbar. The additional bar was just the android menu bar, which I misinterpreted due to its different color compared to the HD+ - silly me. As already said, the problems I had with "AquaMail" and "Mobile Access for Outlook" are both gone with 240 DPI.

--> All problems solved :)  (regarding resolution)

Changing DPI without root is quite simple - all you need is a PC to connect your Book with (USB):

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-change-dpi-your-android-device-without-root-saifuddin-slatewala

At first it wouldn't work (no device found), which was solved by installing the LenovoUsbDriver_autorun_1.1.33_user which is found on the Lenovo_Suite_Drive of the book (when accessing it from PC). In my case, I had to reinstall them again when I tried it a day later.

Replies(6)
Answer
Options

98 Posts

07-07-2014

Switzerland

120 Signins

722 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

2017-02-13, 21:09 PM

I was being stupid, changing the DPI to 240 totally does the trick. There never was an issue with "Battle Beach", it behaves exactly the same on the 10 HD+. Xodo adapts nicely to the new DPI, resulting in a smaller toolbar. The additional bar was just the android menu bar, which I misinterpreted due to its different color compared to the HD+ - silly me. As already said, the problems I had with "AquaMail" and "Mobile Access for Outlook" are both gone with 240 DPI.

--> All problems solved :)  (regarding resolution)

Changing DPI without root is quite simple - all you need is a PC to connect your Book with (USB):

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-change-dpi-your-android-device-without-root-saifuddin-slatewala

At first it wouldn't work (no device found), which was solved by installing the LenovoUsbDriver_autorun_1.1.33_user which is found on the Lenovo_Suite_Drive of the book (when accessing it from PC). In my case, I had to reinstall them again when I tried it a day later.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

7 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

25 Signins

168 Page Views

• Views: 168
  • Message 3 of 7

2017-02-14, 15:58 PM

Awesome!! Thank you!!

Options

98 Posts

07-07-2014

Switzerland

120 Signins

722 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2017-02-14, 18:54 PM

You're very welcome :)

Options

7 Posts

11-07-2016

Austria

52 Signins

356 Page Views

• Views: 356
  • Message 5 of 7

2017-02-17, 19:58 PM

with the new dip settings (my setting 260)

apps like artrage dont work any more correct.

Options

98 Posts

07-07-2014

Switzerland

120 Signins

722 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2017-02-18, 10:08 AM

I tested this and can confirm this. In artrange, the actuall input is shifted from the cursor (dot) when changing the DPI. I also tested other apps: NoteSaver, OneNote, Xodo. They are all doing fine, no shifting problem. Only in QuizDuell, the segments in the pie chart are shifted when selecting a new question.

This seems to be an issue that can rarely occur with some apps; unfortunately, artrange is one of them. If you don't use artrange, it probably doesn't matter. If you do, though, you have to stick to the native DPI. 

@Lenovo: it would be great if you could either adjust artrage to also work with other DPI settings or better yet: natively lower the DPI to 240, as some apps seem to consider the book to be a phone if at a DPI of 280.

Options

98 Posts

07-07-2014

Switzerland

120 Signins

722 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2017-02-18, 10:21 AM

I just got the following reply from the developper of AquaMail:

Vasilyev wrote:

This is controlled by Android, and any changes made by the manufacturer. Yes, the DPI could be a large part of it, but it could also be hard-coded (in Android code) itself.

https://www.aqua-mail.com/forum/index.php?topic=5389.0

Meaning there is nothing developers can do about the setting panels and it also means that many apps may be affected by this. All the more reason to natively lower the DPI to 240. I don't think it's simply hard-coded into Android, as lowering the DPI to 240 brings back the split setting panel.

: pretty please :)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms