Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Yoga Book CommunityYoga Book (Android)
All Forum Topics
Options

98 Posts

07-07-2014

Switzerland

120 Signins

722 Page Views

• Views: 722
  • Message 11 of 30

Re: No successor for the yoga book?

2018-04-04, 11:43 AM

Yes, the chrome OS based yoga book was an interesting concept, unfortunately, it got cancelled :(

https://chromeunboxed.com/the-untimely-demise-of-the-chrome-os-lenovo-yoga-book-pbody-is-dead/

Options

9 Posts

04-08-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

16 Signins

159 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 159
  • Message 12 of 30

2018-04-10, 5:39 AM
This news just saddens me a lot. Maybe it was indeed, the successor.

I agree yoga book kinda doesn't have it's target and is niche. But I feel like there's plenty of interest non the less. Maybe it didn't sell as good as Lenovo would have wanted.
Options

8 Posts

03-12-2018

Germany

8 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 13 of 30

2018-04-13, 4:51 AM

I honestly have to say that this little piece of equipment feels almost like a present from outer space. If you use it right it will be so far of the competition that it is really hard to find any alternative.
The unleash the full potential, though, there are some things one has to consider to unlash its and agile device. I have both versions and stopped using the windows one because of its sluggishness, long boot time and painful standby and energy management. Also the pen input integration is a pain in the back there. So let's focus
 on the Android device that make so much better use of the (no more manufactured) CPU.
First of all: this is a pen device! - even thinking about omitting the pen is like cutting the legs and arms off of an athlete. However, pen support out of the box is crap. One needs to install the marvelous MyScript Stylus beta to really take off. Furthermore, one has to know how to switch to pen input by activating the pen via its button and immediate closing of the window that pops up and is meant to be a core feature, but only brings up the note saver app, which is good for scribbling, but neither supports handwriting recognition, nor reentrant vector graphics or automatic cleanup of straight and curved lines (compare this to Siemens catchbook) - I would love to see MyScript Nebo taking up on this one.
It is worth to mention that the separation of writing and display area really is a great advantage and the Wacom pen does not suffer from digitization (steps when zou draw an oblique line) artefacts - the ink really works like it would be a fluid and no lag is noticed (someone else has pointed out that writing on a flat plane and viewing on a tilted one is an advantage - and I definitely have to agree.
By the way, have you noticed that the pen magnetically attaches to the side of the device? Unfortunately there is no more/rigid sleeve that can hold the pen more firmly.
The Halo keyboard is nice, but not good for long texts - especially since it does not support swiping (why? This would be wonderful on this flat keyboard. I added a bluetooth keyboard (1byone) that almost exactly fits the device and also attaches magnetically, if required. *Unfortunately it does not provide background illumination and a classic IBM remote keyboard, that Lenovo stopped manufacturing a couple of years ago is not available. / Having a full blown keyboard-bag would be a dream.
Charging is extremely fast with the original charger - unfortunately this charger is non-standard *It mimics Qualcom’s quickcharge, but is incompatible, it is too thick for the elegant device and does not charge other devices equally fast. (an iphone does not like this, neither a QC/compatible device). I would like to see USB-C with power delivery there, so that the extra charger is not needed and multiple devices can be charged from any alternative charger at high speed.
Talking about charging - the cable is too short and micro/USB with its 3-sides (first you insert it the right way, but it just doesn’t want to fit, then you turn it around, finding out that it is wrong, followed by the first orientation where it fits, as it should have in the first place) was replaced bz a proper cable that features an LED with charge current indication and symmetric micro-USB pluggability *similar to Apple lightning or USB-C I do not have to think how to plug it anymore, I see where to plug it due to the LED and I know that it charges full speed, because the LED turns from red to green and to blue, once the 12V 2amps level is reached.
Last but not least a beefier CPU with better deep-standby features and a borderless 2k screen would be helpful, as would be handwriting recognition (make the handwriting area shiftable, though) and vector line capturing (Catchbook-like) out of the box. Also a menu/right mouse button on the keyboard would be helpful (since single word selection in Android 7 (where is Android 8?) does not work well . Also simultaneous use of the pen and the Halo keyboard would be nice (cursor-keys help a lot) .

So, Lenovo: make this come true (once more) and keep them coming! / I actually aso hope that other manufacturers will also jump on this class of devices. (The self-protecting wristband hinge is simply awsome)
There was an event last December (2017) where a Lenovo official stated that they are developing on the next version. I really hope that this will hit the shelves better sooner than later!

Options

98 Posts

07-07-2014

Switzerland

120 Signins

722 Page Views

• Message 14 of 30

2018-04-13, 22:53 PM

It's exactly like you say. People and testers use and regard the book in a wrong way. It's not a convertible replacement, it's a tablet replacement with a unique feature. The unique featurei is not the halo keyboard but the wacom pad. It's so much nicer to write, scribble, draw on the wacom pad than directly on the screen. The halo keyboard is a nice addon which is certainly better than on screen keyboards of regular tablets, but in no way a replacement of a real keyboard. But that's not the point. People put too much focus on the halo keyboard and by that completely ignore the wonderful wacom pad and the possibilities it offers.

"There was an event last December (2017) where a Lenovo official stated that they are developing on the next version. I really hope that this will hit the shelves better sooner than later!"

That sounds great, I hope they still stick to that plan!

Options

7230 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29297 Signins

1678818 Page Views

• Views: 1678818
  • Message 15 of 30

2018-04-13, 4:54 AM

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

8 Posts

03-12-2018

Germany

8 Signins

56 Page Views

• Message 16 of 30

Next generation yoga book - e-ink penboard?

2018-04-18, 5:08 AM

Well since there are a number of patent claims stemming from other firms that want to enter the fildable phone and tablet market, I'd guess Lenovo will not drop what they have started with.

Especially the recent Apple release of a pen-enabled tablet at the lower price range, sporting a rather fast CPU and snappy OS keeps up the competition.

What I really would love to see for a next generation LYB apart from the features mentioned before would be an e-ink display on the keyboard that explicitely is not meant to work as a real time display (which it cannot), but rather a means for adapting the keyboard layout, assigning special drawing regions or functions and for saving energy in standby mode, thus expanding the usable runtime from hours to days or weeks - so that the device really can operate like a full grown book and clock replacement.

In the end Lenovo should work on their marketing - calling the LYB a laptop-replacement is probably one of the worst ideas they had for such a wonderful design. I hope that the marketing-department will have learned from this the time they come out with a successor.

Options

98 Posts

07-07-2014

Switzerland

120 Signins

722 Page Views

• Message 17 of 30

Re: Next generation yoga book - e-ink penboard?

2018-06-01, 22:55 PM

Yes, finally, the news we've been waiting for, thank you, Lenovo! :)

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/6/1/17416526/lenovo-yoga-book-2-pro

https://www.xda-developers.com/lenovo-yoga-book-2-report/

Options

8 Posts

03-12-2018

Germany

8 Signins

56 Page Views

• Message 18 of 30

Re: Next generation yoga book - e-ink penboard? Lenovo Yoga Book 2 pro indicated

2018-06-02, 6:50 AM

I have read that of course. - Well, what it says is that there is a pen and what we know is that multiple manufacturers are engaged in building a dual screen or foldable design. (i.e. Dell and MicroSoft, even Apple - although I have my objections with the latter)

And my personal guess is that they are fighting to get the doubled  energy consumption under control (µ-LEDs or OLEDs might take care of this), fight the limited lifetime of a bendable display (in case they manage to include the flexibility of a seamless screen  in the hinge) and, last but not least, have to battle the self protection of clamshell designs. Apple and others lived so well, because customers destroyed their systems frequently due to screen damage.

To be honest, the Android version of the LYB is almost perfect- silent writing is possible with a georgeous form factor - only the pen (or at least a smaller version therof) should be mounted to the device directly, with an auto switch from keyboard to pen input. And we all mentioned the other details one could polish (more CPU-horsepower, real screen estate, e-ink keyboard, etc. to give it a smooth experience). But the fact that one does not need an ugly protective housing that barely shields a continously exposed screen is a horror for greedy sales-people. They want to sell as many devices now and in the next generation ... So Apple will not jump on that...

... and let's see what cards Lenovo deals this time.

(keeping in mind that the Qualcomm Snapdragons are not too much faster than the Atom processor that drives the old LYB, which successor has been cancelled by intel (who are really struggling with delivering on the performance/consumption side with the ARM designs.

Options

21 Posts

05-13-2018

Singapore

28 Signins

165 Page Views

• Views: 165
  • Message 19 of 30

2018-06-04, 4:37 AM

Swiping on the keyboard

I found an intermediate solution to the keyboard swiping problem.  If you install gboard or swift keyboard, and enable swyping or gliding input.  You can effectively, swipe text inputs with the cursor and on screen keyboard.

Downside to this is that you do not see the keyboard on the CreatePad and as the keyboard is full screen width, you have to swipe a large distance for input.

Gboard has a one-handed input mode.  But it is somehow disabled for tablets.

Anyone has any idea, what swipe keyboard app has a reduced size onscreen keyboard?

Options

98 Posts

07-07-2014

Switzerland

120 Signins

722 Page Views

• Message 20 of 30

2018-06-04, 5:54 AM

SwiftKey can be reduced to a small window. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms