Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Yoga Book CommunityYoga Book (Android)
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

05-13-2018

Singapore

28 Signins

165 Page Views

• Views: 165
  • Message 21 of 30

Re: No successor for the yoga book?

2018-06-06, 11:08 AM
Thanks! Managed to get it installed and shrunk down! Works great. :)
Options

98 Posts

07-07-2014

Switzerland

120 Signins

722 Page Views

• Views: 722
  • Message 22 of 30

2018-06-06, 18:25 PM
Glad to help :)
Options

98 Posts

07-07-2014

Switzerland

120 Signins

722 Page Views

• Message 23 of 30

Re: Next generation yoga book - e-ink penboard?

2018-06-07, 19:34 PM

wrote:

What I really would love to see for a next generation LYB apart from the features mentioned before would be an e-ink display on the keyboard that explicitely is not meant to work as a real time display (which it cannot), but rather a means for adapting the keyboard layout, assigning special drawing regions or functions and for saving energy in standby mode, thus expanding the usable runtime from hours to days or weeks - so that the device really can operate like a full grown book and clock replacement.

In the end Lenovo should work on their marketing - calling the LYB a laptop-replacement is probably one of the worst ideas they had for such a wonderful design. I hope that the marketing-department will have learned from this the time they come out with a successor.

Well, Intel thinks in similar ways as you do:

https://www.cnet.com/news/intels-tiger-rapids-two-screen-notebook-vision-informs-our-mobile-future/

Too bad it's only a concept device. But as they say another company is working on somehting similar.

Let's just hope it will also support using the pen on the ink screen to control the cursor on the LCD screen (similar the 1st gen yoga book). This allows effortless annotation of PDFs displayed on the main screen, without having to lift the arm in awkward ways to scribble on the main screen (while in "note book position").

Edit: interesting, according to this article the "something similar" might indeed be the Yoga book 2. They could as well be mixing stuff up in the article, though.

Options

8 Posts

03-12-2018

Germany

8 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 24 of 30

Re: Next generation yoga book - e-ink penboard?

2018-06-10, 7:27 AM
Thanks for the interesting links! Finally the tablet pc gets a kick into the right direction where the form factor becomes more user oriented. Regarding the plans of lenovo this might be an interesting indicator: https://www.cnet.com/news/lenovo-gives-sneak-peek-of-dual-screen-yoga-book-2-and-yoga-book-3/
I guess the combination of "borderless" (=small bezel) technology with powersaving displays (OLED or e-Ink as well as the upcoming µ-LED) and low power state capable CPUs/GPUs in combination with handwriting and drawing recognition will enable a productivity leap. How much "AI in the box" - like the ASUS Project Precog will be needed to drive remains to be seen. But ane might assume that this will support local voice, handwriting and drawing user interface advances that allow to get the results more quickly than with a keyboard and mouse, or a limited touch screen.
In the end these devices that work on the traditional physical interfaces will have to compete with the VR/AR interfaces that approach from the opposite direction to immerse into an artificial environment.
Well, if the announcements of lenovo are valid, then we are about to see something by end of the year (2018) that might go down this route. I only hope that there will be a way to tie the pen to the body of the device, since having two seperable parts is always a big source of frustration for the user.
Options

3 Posts

10-17-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 25 of 30

2018-10-17, 13:58 PM

I am like you , I like to table in the art, but I bought it more for note taking and I absolutely love this for that.  I am now struggling with the charging port not working, so I am REALLY hoping for a replacement!

Options

26 Posts

05-24-2017

United States of America

46 Signins

397 Page Views

• Views: 397
  • Message 26 of 30

2018-10-25, 19:15 PM

Reviews are hitting the stands today for the second gen Yoga Book (C630). It's Windows only, with an I5, 2560x1530 main screen and FHD eInk keyboard. At launch it only shows PDFs or keyboard/touchpad on the eink, with a promise to add more formats, but it looks locked down (it doesn't seem usable as a Windows screen, so you can't run the Kindle, etc. apps on the eInk). USB C with a micro-SD slot. Weighs a little bit more, but still only 1.7 lbs / about 800 g. In the US it's $1000.

Seems like a worthy successor but not quite perfect. If I hadn't bought a Spectre this year I'd think about it, but I'm switching between my Yoga Book and Spectre right now and might wait and consider if there's a third gen Y/B. Ever since I turned off Mobile Device Management to get around the problem with MS MDM and the Android Y/B, I'm back to using my Y/B and actually use it more than any other device I have, probably. 

The move to Windows only seems like a gimme given the insanity with Android updates or lack thereof, although I suppose Chrome OS would be faster and somewhat manages those issues. 

Options

98 Posts

07-07-2014

Switzerland

120 Signins

722 Page Views

• Message 27 of 30

2018-10-25, 21:48 PM

I'll wait for a Chrome OS device, which they will hopefully create somewhere in the future. While it's true that Windows itself gets more updates than android, the apps don't. E.g. Xodo which I use a lot on my current Android Yoga Book gets way more updates on Android than on Windows. A Windows Yoga Book is a no go for me - but of course, everybody has different preferences and it depends on how you plan to use it.

Options

26 Posts

05-24-2017

United States of America

46 Signins

397 Page Views

• Views: 397
  • Message 28 of 30

2018-10-25, 22:16 PM

I was a little surprised at no Chrome OS. Chrome OS is a maybe for me - as I understand it, it does not have Android's problem of unpredictable upates, but it has access to MS Office and other things I need for my business use. I would assume the new Y/B would be really nice and fast on Chrome OS, given that the first gen is actually totally usable and feels very fast on Android (in fact my Axon 7 feels a little long in the tooth but the Y/B still seems to have more than enough RAM and speed by Android standards).

Options

3 Posts

10-17-2018

United States of America

5 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 29 of 30

2018-10-26, 18:18 PM
I would totally be interested in the Chrome OS version as well, but will likely have to wait until a Gen 3 as I can't afford a grand for tablet I would mostly be using for fun with a side of business note taking. Basically I am just really happy that it is still around and getting updates. :)
Options

98 Posts

07-07-2014

Switzerland

120 Signins

722 Page Views

• Message 30 of 30

2018-10-26, 18:54 PM

Yeah, let's hope the best. Appart from the OS, I would also like the ability to use all apps on the E-Ink screen, and to be able to use the pen on the E-Ink screen as an input method for the LCD (like with the first Yoga Book, where you scribble on the graphpad but see the scribbling on the LCD screen). It's extremely comfortable to scribble on something laying horizontally on your lap while watching a vertical screen - this prevents fatigue of both arms and neck. I don't think you can do that on the successor :(

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms