Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Norrie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 969
Message 31 of 46

Re: WIFI diconnects then can't find any networks until a reboot

I have the latest version 7.1 android and the WiFi disconnection issue continues.  Is anyone else still experiencing this issue since the update, it has gone really quite 😕

filbert
Serial Port
Views: 957
Message 32 of 46

I sent mine back to Lenovo a while ago under warranty for repair. I haven't used it a that much since but it has definitely been a lot better. As far as I could tell from the notes, they just did a factory reset - but I'd already done that, so I don't know what they did that was different.
Long time ThinkPad user: 770, 600, T40, X300, now X301 240gb SSD, 8 GB ram. Now playing with Yoga Book 10.1 Android
Ianandrach
Fanfold Paper
Views: 827
Message 33 of 46

I just got my Yoga Book two days ago.  It is now updated to 171013 and I am still having the same issue described above with the Wi-Fi disconnecting and then being unable to reconnect since the WLAN gets stuck and the Wi-Fi switch on F8 doesn't do anything. 

Doe anyone know if a factory reset will help or will I just be stuck doing all those updates again? 

nicole_f
Fanfold Paper
Views: 823
Message 34 of 46

It is a shame that Lenovo did not manage to fix this issue within any of the updates up to today.

I can easily reproduce the issue:

- conect the device to a charger

- start app updates in Google Play

After some updates, usually just a few apps, the WiFi will die. It can happen when on battery only too but my experience is that it happens quicker when connected to a charger.

In most cases a reboot is sufficient to recover. But this is super annoying and inconvenient as you will loose your app state etc. And of course you have to stop what you were doing, wait a few minutes for the reboot, unlock the device and restart the app that you were using.

This is not the kind of realibility that I would expect fom a brand like Lenovo.

I am very disappointed with this type of failure. The Yoga Book Android is a very nice device, nice hardware, nice features. But the one things that I hate most in computers is unrealiability. This is why I switched from Microsoft products to Linux in 1990 - no more sudden freezes, reboots or blue screens (later on). Linux managed to achieve this reliability through openness. Beeing a free software thousands of people contribute to the code and bug fixing.

So, Lenovo, if you are not willing (or able) to fix this issue, then please release full code and build system for your Android builds (especially kernel and drivers) so that free software developers can fix this very annyoing WiFi issue once and for all - and besides upgrade the used Linux kernel and Android system to more current version in order to keep the users safe, supplying them with up to date security enhancements and necessary fixes. (Is the current Android for Yoga Book safe against Meltdown and Spectre? I suppose not...)

It is amazing and frustrating how computer hardware companies still treat software as a kind of special value add-on. Lenovo: I am not interested at all in your customized Android version, not at all. I am not interested in pre-installed Microsoft products for Android (**bleep**!? Last update installed installers for the whole Microsoft product suite for Android! I did not ask for that!). I bought the Yoga book first of all because of the hardware, seond because it ran Android, which is the closest to Linux I can buy in this device class.

Today I am disappointed by this decision. The device is somewhat crippled and bloated by Lenovo's custom add-ons to the AOSP and it suffers from manufacturing defects (WiFi) that Lenovo is either unable or unwilling to fix. I had my device sent to repair twice. Both times my failure description and detailed description about how to reproduce the failure were ignored and I got it back the same way as I sent it in. Now the warranty period is over and it still does not work as promised and expected. The street price dropped by at least 50% by now which means, if I wanted to sell it right now, I would have a loss of more than 50% of the price I bought it for - which is a loss of around 300EUR.

I seldomly use the device anymore, sadly. I bought it for an enhanced mobile internet experience. Enhanced mobile it is, but internet it isn't many times due to the WiFi failures.

Sad sad...

Cheers

nicole

Ianandrach
Fanfold Paper
Views: 774
Message 35 of 46

So I returned the one I bought with the wifi problem and bought a used one from the former owner. He said he never had a problem with the wifi and so far its been fine. I tried reproducing it using your steps, Nicole, but whether plugged in or not while updating and installing new apps the WiFi stayed connected.

We'll see how it is after an extended sleep, but so far so good. I think we may have just gotten defective units.

filbert
Serial Port
Views: 767
Message 36 of 46

I sent mine back to Lenovo under warranty. They did something and it's been OK since I got it back - quite a while. I don't use it much but it always seems to work, touch wood.
Long time ThinkPad user: 770, 600, T40, X300, now X301 240gb SSD, 8 GB ram. Now playing with Yoga Book 10.1 Android
ricardjs
Fanfold Paper
Views: 744
Message 37 of 46

Mi case was the same. I sent it to warranty and lenovo changed the motherboard (or wireless card, don't remember) and it has been good ever since (more than one year now).

Ricardo.
damianf
Paper Tape
Views: 701
Message 38 of 46

Hi, my first message, pardon me if Im slightly off topic.

Ive always used my android mobile as a wifi hotspot without any problems, it still works fine with my laptop.

BUT, my new windows 10 yogabook only occasionally recognises the hotspot, it lists available networks and connects easily and quickly but most of the time doesnt even "see" the mobile hotspot from the phone.

What's going on??? Cant find any info anywhere. All suggested fixes assume it sees the hotspot but wont connect; the problem is that the hotspot, while definitely set up correctly, most of the time is "invisible" to the yogabook. Then, to really confuse matters, after hours of messing around it suddenly sees it and connects and provides internet access for as long as I stay connected. Then tomorrow, its back to the same problem, it doesnt see the hotspot so doesnt even try to connect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is it windows 10 or Lenovo?? Its not the phone's hotspot as it connects every other device i use instantly and easily.

Damian

BarryTreg1
Punch Card
Views: 623
Message 39 of 46

For me, I overcame this by changing "keep WLAN on during sleep" to "never" or "only when plugged in". Setting it to "always" caused this disconnect problem.

chayd
Paper Tape
Views: 410
Message 40 of 46

Hey all.

Has there been any development on this issue?

I bought a refurbished yoga a few days back and having the same issues.

Tried everything imagniable to try and fix it but no luck.

Weirdly when I do a hard reset, once booted for the first time the WiFi is stable. But as soon as I reboot, the problem reoccours. 

Hopefully I can get a refund/exchange if all else fails.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors