Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Yoga Book CommunityYoga Book (Android)
All Forum Topics
Options

1268 Posts

12-05-2014

Germany

1308 Signins

21591 Page Views

• Views: 21591
  • Message 21 of 29

Re: Yoga Book (Android) - Multitouch/Scroll Not Working After First Update, Predictive Text Problem

2016-11-06, 1:28 AM

Double tap triggers scrolling. Could that reproduce your problem? 

Ok, it's true, spacebar does trigger scrolling in Windows (just found out :-D ). In this Android spacebar works as page down as well. Shift & Spacebar works as page up (just found out). The reason why I called it a but (which it is not as you pointed out) is because with the single glass design it is easy to wander off without your finger a bit up and hit the space bar which will scroll the page. But as you described your problem it could be an unintended double tap triggering scrolling (?). Does Settings > Halo Keyboard > Keyboard Sensitivity do something against the random scrolling? Understanding what causes the scrolling bug for you, could allow the second level support to pinpoint a solution.

For me, the touchpad seems to work (more or less), but I gave up on it completely, because it seems to be too small, it does not scroll, and I was accidentally hitting the spacebar, thus i started scrolling on the screen. Clearly, some extra settings and fine tuning of the touchpad would be helpful (starting with on/off settings, double tap (useful or not?), multilingual scrolling if possible) & they should fix the PgUp and PgDn buttons as well as arrows for scrolling. &if we figure out what causes your random scrolling then that as well. Btw. might be getting a Bluetooth mouse and hope the mouse wheel will scroll :)

P.S. I'm not affiliated with Lenovo, just a user of several Lenovo device (PC, phone, tablet).

If the answer is interesting press the star below to give Kudos.

If your question is answered you can click ''accept as solution".

Options

4 Posts

03-07-2009

Germany

16 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 22 of 29

Re: Yoga Book (Android) - Multitouch/Scroll Not Working After First Update, Predictive Text Problem

2016-11-07, 14:15 PM

Hi pat_box, thanks again for the reply. Double tap does not trigger scrolling for me. Or only every 10th time or so. Adjusting sensitivity does not help. This is exactly where the problem lies. Can you double tap the touchpad to scroll on your device? Without any errors?

If they could at least fix it in a way that you could reliably scroll with the touchpad (e.g. double-tapping), I would be more than happy. Not being able to scroll with the touchpad is not acceptable. I have sent a message to the technical support of Lenovo describing the problem and asking about possible updates. I will let you know as soon as I receive a reply.

Options

22 Posts

10-24-2016

United States of America

23 Signins

285 Page Views

• Views: 285
  • Message 23 of 29

2016-11-07, 14:25 PM

Thanks for submitting that, mankiw.

I was able to get scrolling working with a double- or triple-tap some of the time, but it's not reliable. This is where the problem is... sometimes it seems to scroll randomly. If they could just fix this and get it to work reliably, I would be fine with it.

Also, pat_box: the shift+pgup combo is not working for me.

Options

1268 Posts

12-05-2014

Germany

1308 Signins

21591 Page Views

• Message 24 of 29

2016-11-07, 17:34 PM

BUG: Yoga Book Android touchpad triggers random scrolling; reported by several users. In addition, multi-finger scrolling on the touchpad does not work at all. Doubletap scrolling is too unreliable and could potentially be the unintentional trigger of the random scrolling, i.e. counterproductive. Other ways to scroll using the keyboard like PgDn & PgUp & Arrows also don't seem to work (at least not in Chrome).

Test to reproduce the bug: I was using the YB-Android touchpad today to a greater extent to test it and YES it does trigger random scrolling on web pages (I only tested web pages). Moving the course via the touchpad will suddenly & randomly trigger webpage is scrolling. This might be an unintentional "double-tap" (it behaves like double tap scrolling) but it happens so randomly without any obvious double tap that it it seems to be a bug as several users have reported in this post. 

Other related issue:

(1) PgDn & PgUp & Arrows don't scroll on web pages in chrome (like they do in windows). Maybe a bug or lack of functionality in android or chrome. I did not test if PgUp & PgDn & Arrows scroll in other apps (i.e. I am not sure if those keys do anything at all yet - definitely not working in Chrome).

(2) Since a touchpad is not a typical for android interface, some customization might be added to improve customer experience with the Halo Keyboard. Thus, Lenovo could consider:

(a) settings to turn on/off the touchpad  as sometimes it might not be very useful to some users or lead to bugs when scrolling unintentionally while typing or some usres just use the touchscreen

(b) settings to turn on/off the double tap scrolling or discontinue it as it is rather cumbersome to trigger the double tap scrolling (some users can't seem to trigger it at all) and it could also lead to the bug of the unintentional random trigger of scrolling when not intended.

(c) check  if multi-finger scrolling can be done on android & the Halo Keyboard and if it can be implemented introduce it or make it optional via settings to turn it on/off.

(3) There is no physical separation between the touchpad and the spacebar, so when using the touchpad sometimes the spacebar can be hit with finger unintentionally, which will also trigger scrolling. It might be worth to consider if the spacebar scrolling can be turned on/off via settings (maybe it is something that is done by each app separately, maybe it is an android functionality). Note: the random-scrolling bug desrbied above is NOT related to the space bar (the random scrolling happens via the touchpad).

Any other issues? 

I will try to mention this post to Lenovo support for issues affecting several users so they could look at it.

P.S. @ reconfigure: shift & space (pressed at the same time) does scrolling upward for me in Chrome browser on Yoga Book Android.

@mankiw: double tap triggered scrolling for me in Chrome browser on Yoga Book Android, but I agree with @reconfigure that it is not reliable (the level of precision or randomness is quite high).

Edit: The double tap is not required for the touchpad to randomly scroll. It also happens when I "long-hold" my finger on the touchpad it suddenly randomly scrolls. The "long-hold" is like a second short so that might also lead to random scrolling, because who woudn't keep their finger on the touchpad for a second.

Options

22 Posts

10-24-2016

United States of America

23 Signins

285 Page Views

• Views: 285
  • Message 25 of 29

2016-11-07, 17:40 PM

pat_guru: I thought you meant shift+pgup. I probably read that wrong. I will try shift+spacebar for upward scrolling.

Options

1268 Posts

12-05-2014

Germany

1308 Signins

21591 Page Views

• Message 26 of 29

2016-11-20, 9:37 AM

Guys, I did a forum review of my personal experiences with the Yoga Book Android. I have also highlighted the concerns with regards to the touchpad in an entire section dedicated to the touchpad. This is the link to the review:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Community-Spotlight/Review-Yoga-Book-Android-Version/ba-p/3485432

Note: I have got some indications that the second Level support at Lenovo might be looking into this issue. However, at the same time, I am not sure if the current limitations of the touchpad are due to Google's Android not being created with touchpads in mind, or if these are limitations of individual apps (e.g. Android's Chrome not recognizing multi-finger swiping), or if this is something that Lenovo could easily map in some Android settings and update quickly.

On the other hand, I am quite sure that the PgUp & PgDn & Arrows not working for scrolling is a limitation of Google Chrome (or other apps) because they did not expect someone hitting these commands on a touch keyboard (they don't exist on touchscreen keyboards). I tried PgUp & PgDn & Arrows in other apps like Microsoft OneNote for Android and they seem to work well. So it's simply a matter of mapping these keys in the individual apps which the app developers need to do. I think Lenovo selling millions of tablets per year, could highlight to Google to catch up with latest tech advances (a.k.a.the Yoga Book) and update its apps to support a full-layout keyboard.

Options

8 Posts

01-28-2016

Austria

53 Signins

554 Page Views

• Views: 554
  • Message 27 of 29

2016-11-21, 14:15 PM
Hello
i use Google Chrome "Beta", the PgUp, PgDn & Arrows works fine .

best regards
Klaus from Villach
Options

1268 Posts

12-05-2014

Germany

1308 Signins

21591 Page Views

• Message 28 of 29

2016-11-21, 20:56 PM

wrote:
Hello
i use Google Chrome "Beta", the PgUp, PgDn & Arrows works fine .

best regards
Klaus from Villach

I tested this and, yes, the PgUp, PgDn & Arrows works in "Chrome Canary", "Chrome Beta", and "Chrome DEV". It does not work in "Google Browser".

To enable scrolling of web-pages by the Arrows, PgUp, PgDn download and use either "Chrome Canary", "Chrome Beta", and "Chrome DEV". 's .

I am not exactly sure why Google has 4 different browsers in the play store (and counting) and what the differences are, but they are all reviewed from 4.2 to 4.4  out of 5 and Chrome Canary has the highest rating of 4.4. 

Options

1 Posts

07-02-2017

United States of America

1 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 29 of 29

2017-07-02, 15:16 PM

Has this been resolved Yet?  After installing the most recent build I still have all of these same problems with multi-touch and scrolling. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms