Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 1,145
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo Yoga Book C930 Unboxing, Review Preview

I’ve had about three weeks with the Lenovo Yoga Book C930, enough time to really get a feel for it. Yesterday, I received the LTE version to review from Lenovo Support, and haven’t had a chance to test it out yet. I’m going to include as many comparison as I can for the review without delaying it too much further.

Drop your questions in the comments. Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, my order for the new Lenovo Pen Pro has been delayed. Not sure if I’ll get to test it out with the Lenovo YogaBook C930 before my review is finished. I might do a separate review if folks are interested. Here’s a link to the US site for that stylus pen:

Lenovo Pen Pro

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,138
Message 2 of 11

Betreff: Lenovo Yoga Book C930 Unboxing, Review Preview

Nice review! Well done! Thank you very much.

-= We´re all Negan =-
LeeHamm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 911
Message 3 of 11

Re: Lenovo Yoga Book C930 Unboxing, Review Preview

I am looking forward to your LTE review. The timing is really good, as I was considering the C630 [with full-time LTE but 4-5 weeks lead time in the US] and the C930. I found the German Lenovo site has the C930 with LTE but the US site does not. Neither of these models is available México, where I am, so I need a US trip to get this.

Kindle e-ink drivers coming soon we hope?

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 764
Message 4 of 11

My review is up here. Smiley Happy

I'm taking a trip from the US Midwest, to the West Coast, and then to Alaska with the LTE version. I'll be updating my review once I've gotten some real world use with it.

I'm pretty sure importing or contriving to own the LTE version will be worth the trouble, if the Yoga Book sits in the middle of your workflow like it does for me. Hopefully, my trip and the experiences thereof bear that belief out.

Moderator comment: Link updated.

LeeHamm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 744
Message 5 of 11

Thanks for the heads-up and for the review.

I've checked UK, France, Spain and Germany and only Germany has the LTE model with the i5 processor, for about $1600usd. Ebay has it too, coming from S Korea. I don't know why the LTE model is scarce in the US.

drj434343
Punch Card
Views: 710
Message 6 of 11

I've also been looking for sources of the LTE model in the US, and ebay is the only place I've seen, though those units are also about $1600.

LeeHamm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 505
Message 7 of 11

That's the best US price [$1577] I have seen too for a C930 with LTE, supposedly. Now that the only model available, on the US Lenovo site, is down to $789, $1500 is difficult to justify. I wonder how much longer this model will be on sale.

My shortlist is:

• C930 with Core i5, 4GB/256GB and 10.8" screen, for $789.99
  • C630 with Snapdragon, 8GB/256GB and 13" screen, with LTE, for $829.99
LeeHamm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 475
Message 8 of 11

One day later...

C630 with Snapdragon, 8GB/256GB and 13" screen, with LTE, for $746.99

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 414
Message 9 of 11

Yeah, the C630 is interesting. I'm wondering if there's a flavor of Linux that would run decently on it. *halo*

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 410
Message 10 of 11

Lenovo Support graciously allowed me to keep the LTE Yoga Book C930 review unit through my vacation to Alaska. I was able to test the connectivity in Wichita, Seattle, and Anchorage at length. For clarity, this was done using a T-Mobile pre-paid sim card that had 8 GB of data available over thirty days.

I used my LTE Yoga Book C930 to access the Internet, pretty exclusively, except where it was more expedient to use my phone. What's interesting here is that I expected to run out of data with T-Mobile, and end up having to use my Verizon Phone as a tether, as I'd be roaming on T-Mobile in Alaska. It was the other way around.

Even with not using my phone much, it burned through data as I traveled, for some unknown reason. The LTE Yoga Book C930 played my 30 minute yoga videos over LTE, every morning for a week, let me browse, check email, and do a little video chatting via Discord. I never received a notification that I was low on data. That my LTE connection with the Yoga Book C930 outperformed my Verizon iPhone was unexpected, and only made me want the LTE version even more.

If you get the LTE version in the US, definitely have your service provider help you set things up. It's a relatively arcane process finding all the right device ID numbers, setting up the APN, and testing the connection. I like Verizon, but I would avoid them for this service unless you're willing to go through all the various support tiers to make it happen.  A T-Mobile sales rep was able to help me go through the process at a physical location.

Windows 10 isn't great at automatically managing your connection. You'll probably want to go in and manually set it to either always use LTE, or switch it off when you have WiFi. Windows has functionality visible in the settings menu for handling data use, but all this particular service does is make sure you never connect to anything, ever.

The experience makes me nervous about being an early adopter with any of the new always-connected LTE laptops running Windows. It’s too bad, because some of the allure of these products is being able to trust the machine to use WiFi first, LTE second, and just stay connected all the time in a way that doesn’t burn your finite data plan needlessly. Microsoft hasn't really got it figured out yet.

In spite of that, what makes the LTE Yoga Book C930 so compelling is that it combines an e ink e reader, tablet for games and media, e ink note taking contrivance, wireless hotspot, and light personal computer for productivity that takes pen stylus input, in one tiny form factor. And, it does these things for much less than the sum of those functions represented by separate devices. For traveling, it made many things simpler, my bag a lot lighter, and the time spent more enjoyable.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors