05-30-2017

IT

22 Signins

158 Page Views

• Views: 158
  • Message 1 of 11

The big wishlist for Eink Firmware

2020-09-23, 12:36 PM

Note: These are only my suggestions based on my daily use. If you have some that don't appear here, feel free to reply to this thread and suggest them. I will add them to the list.

Additions

• Eink notes
    • Folders in notes list
    • Tools such as highlighter, ruler, text (from keyboard), sticky note, image from pc (browse through files), lists with checkboxes and bullets, insert PDF, Word or Powerpoint file
    • Math tools such as shapes, compass, goniometer, ...
    • Ability to choose where to save the note in OneNote, how to call it, ...
  • Eink reader
    • PDF Editor: improve writing (at the moment, when the system saves the modified PDF it transform the writing into a segmented one)
    • Add the same tools written above
  • Screen mirroring
    • Being able to extend the main screen instead of mirroring it
  • Settings
    • Ability to set custom pen shortcuts for eink apps
    • Better calendar integration (add a setup wizard so users know what to do after selecting the Outlook Calendar standby background option)

Bug fixes

• Freeze when using eink notes for some hours. It's still possible to write but the content won't be saved. 
    • Workaround: a full reboot solves the bug temporarily

Plese Lenovo add these features and fix these bugs to give us a better firmware!

Options

10 Posts

06-20-2015

United States

12 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 2 of 11

Re:The big wishlist for Eink Firmware

2020-09-24, 18:39 PM

I'll second some of your additions and add some as well

Additions

• Rotation of both template and handwriting in Lenovo e-ink app
  • Custom templates for Lenovo e-ink app
  • Ability to set custom pen shortcuts for eink apps
  • Ability to choose where to save the note in OneNote
  • Fill screen in both rotations in PDF Annotator
    1. If you make custom PDF, when you rotate the device it shrinks it down and requires zoom of 180% to fill the screen. I've tried every resolution possible: 1920x1080, 1080x1920, 1920x1920, even higher, and it still does this
  • Larger trackpad in standard e-ink keyboard with option to remove left and right click portions
  • Setting to click Control, Alt, Shift, Windows once and have it lock instead of holding them down
    1. Will make Copy, Paste, etc much easier

Bug fixes

• Fix screen rotation to tablet mode and turning off main display
  1. Unless you click keyboard with your finger to select app, rotation of main display doesn't work (ie: mapping e-ink shortcut to pen button messes with screen on/off when flipping device to tablet mode)
Options

8 Posts

11-05-2014

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2020-09-29, 16:09 PM

My one major wishlist item is for any app is the ability to disable the color led screen while using the E-Ink screen.  

I know some apps have it but would love it while using the tablet as an e-reader.  Occasionally something happens and I seem to have to unfold it to a laptop click the keyboard then click the e-reader then fold it back to get the screen to turn back off.

Please just give me a toggle button so I can use the e-ink apps without draining the battery or showing the public what I have running on Windows.

Options

18 Posts

05-18-2020

US

20 Signins

175 Page Views

• Views: 175
  • Message 4 of 11

2020-09-29, 19:55 PM

You can disable the color screen in clone mode. As it's a touch screen, just plug in a keyboard and you can work with just the e ink screen.

About the E reader mode, it was pretty nice with the older versions of the firmware, but with the last version there are some problems in this mode ... Sadly the old firmware versions do not have clone mode :)

Options

20 Posts

05-30-2017

IT

22 Signins

158 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2020-09-30, 12:57 PM

Unfortunately, I can't edit anymore the first post, so I'm going to update here about this bug:

Freeze when using eink notes for some hours. It's still possible to write but the content won't be saved. 

• Workaround: a full reboot solves the bug temporarily

It seems that if you write with smart shape enabled and you press the select button of the pen, the eink notes app crashes.

Options

10 Posts

06-20-2015

United States

12 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 6 of 11

2020-10-01, 16:44 PM

@ NicolasG wrote:

You can disable the color screen in clone mode. As it's a touch screen, just plug in a keyboard and you can work with just the e ink screen.

About the E reader mode, it was pretty nice with the older versions of the firmware, but with the last version there are some problems in this mode ... Sadly the old firmware versions do not have clone mode :)

The current implementation is quite janky, the screen often doesn't turn off when you flip to tablet, or it takes forever, etc. There should just be a global option either on the e-ink keyboard or within Windows to always turn off the main display when using e-ink.

I'd rather have a button to turn the main display ON when I choose to but have it off by default when using any e-ink app.

Options

20 Posts

05-30-2017

IT

22 Signins

158 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2020-10-20, 12:32 PM

Another suggestion:

Add a button in the keyboard to open a numpad

Options

23 Posts

12-29-2015

US

144 Signins

986 Page Views

• Views: 986
  • Message 8 of 11

2020-11-03, 16:33 PM

Is there anyway to create your own template in E Ink notes?

Options

2 Posts

01-23-2020

US

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 9 of 11

2020-11-14, 0:04 AM

It annoys me how the e-ink display is treated like a real keyboard hardware.

The top of the keyboard has a whole row of wasted space to the left of the buttons for settings, e-reader, etc. Instead of sharing media keys with the function keys, the media keys could have their own buttons up there, thus freeing up the F keys.

A variation on the above would be moving the settings buttons to the bottom of the display which would allow moving the whole keyboard up a row, thus giving a larger touchpad. I think that would be an EXTREMELY welcome change. Maybe give an option in the settings.

Using it in tablet colour mode can be extremely frustrating, double tapping ANYWHERE on the e-ink display switches modes. This is a ridiculously painful failure that could be solved extremely easily. It could be fixed in a few ways. Smart phones often have a slider you need to pull from side to side to unlock, it could have a button up in the corner, double-tap the fingerprint reader, etc. There are many solutions to this one.

There's a really annoying AF bug in the display mirror mode. Since the displays are different resolutions, it forces the colour display into 1080p, which is crappy in the first place. The issue I have, though, is when I leave mirror mode. The colour display goes back to 2k resolution until I suspend the machine... When I resume from suspend, the resolution of the colour screen goes to 1080p and I have to change it in setting. Very annoying.

It would be cool if they gave a scaled option for the e-ink display to allow the colour screen to stay at 2k, when using it for drawing, it would be fine.

Another viable solution would be to make an option for the wacom tablet mode that put the e-ink screen all white and gave pen trails as you draw/write. That way I could see what I'm doing, maybe I just need to get better at writing on the tablet and seeing it come up on the colour screen.... Still would be a cool feature.

Options

3 Posts

11-19-2020

US

6 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 10 of 11

2020-11-19, 22:29 PM

@ maicol07 wrote:

Additions

• Eink reader
    • PDF Editor: improve writing (at the moment, when the system saves the modified PDF it transform the writing into a segmented one)
  • Screen mirroring
    • Being able to extend the main screen instead of mirroring it

Just want to echo this post again, since I think these two things can be extremely helpful.

For the PDF handwriting issue, as an example, here is a comparison of what I write and what I get in the Eink reader after the software renders the handwriting into the PDF:

In fairness, I have noticed that Adobe Acrobat does the same thing when I write on the color screen, but many other products (such as Sony's DPT-RP1 "Digital Paper") manage to preserve the handwriting much better in PDF files, so there should be a software solution?

Secondly, being able to extend the screen (not just mirroring) would be a BLISS. That would essentially turn the Yoga Book C930 into something like a Surface Neo, before Surface Neo even hits the shelf. Lenovo would really make itself popular with the Yoga Book users with a function like that.

One final addition is that, when I zoom in on a PDF, the page cannot be moved around with full freedom. This is what it looks like:

I would love to move the PDF page further up (i.e., move the viewing window further down on the page), but after the PDF's bottom edge hits that of the screen, it is stuck. Allowing the page's edge to go as far as the control overlay's inner edge, or simply allowing free movement of the PDF page, should solve the problem. I hope Lenovo's people will see this one, since this should be the easiest to fix.

Thank you to guys at Lenovo for making and continuously updating this product! Cheers.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete