Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McGilli
802.11n
Views: 1,119
Message 31 of 41

Re: Yoga book c930 fingerprint reader

Funny you mention it.

Today my fingerprint reader - basically stopped working. It had been working almost perfectly for me for quite some time. But today - nothing. I did do some WIndows Updates. And I could not even register any fingers at all it would not recognize anything.

I kept my currently registered finger in the system though.

So, I went to Lenovo Vantage - becasue I knew there was that Nov 22nd fingerprint driver update. So I installed it. And it said - Install failed, could not update device. Ok. I restarted.

I ran Vantage again - it said there were no available updates, and then a few minutes later I got a WIndows popup saying to restart for new device changes to take effect. Ok.

Restarted - and boom. Works with my original fingerprint - and it has not failed me once since then. I've been doing some registry stuff, and system backup/restore points - so lots of restarts and I have not had a single fail now. Works every time. Which is even better than when it was working well for me before.

-Before posting this - I just did 5 more full shutdown and restarts - works every single time. Really happy with this!

mcinnocent
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,104
Message 32 of 41

can you give a link where you downloaded this update? thx.

Ishman
Punch Card
Views: 1,091
Message 33 of 41

All you need to do is go to device manager.  Click on the biometric sensors, and you should see the fingerprint reader.  Double click and choose update driver.  Choose search automatically for updated driver.  It will take a munte but it will find a newer driver.  Once done redo you orignal fingerprints.

McGilli
802.11n
Views: 1,082
Message 34 of 41

@MCINNOCENT

My way to update the software / drivers is different from what Ishman describes. So I'll explain my way too - as I'm not familiar with his method.

Just open the Lenovo software called Vantage that ships with the laptop. It's meant to help with controlling the Lenovo audio software and drivers for hardware etc. Click on Update Software and it will find all the drivers and then download and install them.

I didn't need to re-register any fingerprints, but it just works now after the Nov 22nd fingerprint driver install.

drj434343
Punch Card
Views: 977
Message 35 of 41

I'll add my two cents in case it helps anyone.  I finally got my fingerprint sensor to work well.

I first updated the Windows driver to what appears to be the latest verion (1.0.5.27) dated 9/10/18 through Lenovo Vantage software.  This update did not help.

I then noticed the firmware update software (dated 10/25/18) located here.

This appears to be the software previously discussed in this thread with some intermixed chinese character buttons.  One user reported randomly pressing some chinese character buttons until it started working.  In the download package, however, there was an english language readme file which provided instructions for what buttons to press when you run the software.  It also described the changes it makes during the update, including increasing the LED backlight brightness of the scanner. 

After running the update and installing a firmware .dat file (also included in the download package), I re-entered my fingerprint profile into the Windows login portion of settings and now it works great!

A few tips:

1. The readme file provides instructions for what buttons to press in what order.  These buttons actually have english labels.  There are other chinese labeled buttons in the software, but I never pressed any of these during the update process.

2. When you run the firmware updater, it opens a command prompt window in the background which highlights what it is doing.  After the firmware update is complete, if you press the upper left most chinese character button, this starts what appears to be a testing routine.  If you start pressing your finger on the scanner at this point, you can actually see the raw data input on the command prompt, including whether the scan was successful.  I was able to get a good feel for how well the sensor was working here before even ever going into the Windows login settings.

Overall, the scanner works very well now, perhaps 9 out of 10 scans.  I'm calling this a win!

errhaltech
What's DOS?
Views: 689
Message 36 of 41

Many thanks! It looks promissng and appears to have worked for me so far these first minutes after reboot. A few days more use will tell though...
errhaltech
What's DOS?
Views: 689
Message 37 of 41

Yes, so far.
errhaltech
What's DOS?
Views: 685
Message 38 of 41

Re: Yoga Book C930: fingerprint reader slow response

this may sound weird but i found the fingerprint reader works better when your finger tip is a little moist or wet like after touching a wet paper knapkin and rocking your finger - just slightly!
lenovochobo
Punch Card
Views: 531
Message 39 of 41

I registered my thumbprint again today and lo and behold, it seems to work. Touch wood, I've been able to use my thumb to unlock within a second or so.
Analoglife
Paper Tape
Views: 361
Message 40 of 41

After months of all the fingerprint reader problems, I just tried your wet method, and it registered my prints and now recognizes me and unlocks. Here's spitting on you! <G> thanks for this solution

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors