Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LukaszWS
Paper Tape
Views: 989
Message 1 of 13

Yoga Book C930: is worth buying?

Hi. It is worth to buy Lenovo Yoga Book c930 (£1099 for 256ssd version) or it is better to buy seperate device's like 2in1 laptop with much more better spec and e reader. 4gb ram and 7y54 is good enough or maybe I should wait for next generation? Sorry for my English but it is not my native language.

Elise111S
Fanfold Paper
Views: 931
Message 2 of 13

Re: Yoga Book C930: is worth buying?

I love mine.  Perhaps try one out at a store?  Purchase from someone with a return policy that fits your needs?  I believe Lenovo has a 30 day return policy for example, but I don't know Lenovo's return policy in your location.

drj434343
Punch Card
Views: 927
Message 3 of 13

I would ask yourself a few questions:

1. Are you interested in converging devices? (i.e. you carry an e-reader and laptop now, but would rather carry just one device).

2. Is an e-reader or drawing abilities an important part of your daily usage habits?

3. Are you satisfied with the software abilities and limitations of the C930 right now? (Don't count on feature updates)

4. Are you willing to put up with a difficult keyboard for your laptop typing needs?

If you can answer yes to all four of those questions, I'd bet you are a good candidate for this laptop.

Highlighted
Elise111S
Fanfold Paper
Views: 920
Message 4 of 13

For the record, I find that I am able to type on this keyboard just fine.  Sure, there is a misskey from time to time, however I am OK with that.  Of course everyone will have a different reaction, based on how they adapt or learned to type etc.

For me, this style of keyboard suits me fine, and I enjoy the added comvience of being able to take notes while I read, which would not be the case if this was a normal keyboard.  That is a reason I enjoy my YBC930. 

I do not see this style of keyboard as a neagtive, others will.

LukaszWS
Paper Tape
Views: 856
Message 5 of 13

Thx for all replies. I have few more question about LYB C930. In past I have Microsoft Surface Pro and I like it. Idea of two screens is very temting, especially that for a while I consider to buy Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro for ebooks and notes, but it is limited to android OS and for accident I found LYB C930 when I read reviews about LY 920 and C930. It is nice that from February update we will have one note integration with eink. Someone mention that it is possible to read in one screen and make note in second - it is true? Can I copy something from eink and paste it to second screen where I made notes? It is possible to use only eink display to navigate in windows or for that we have to use only main screen and eink screen we use for keyboard, pdf, ebook reader, and to make notes? It is possible to run on LYB C930 any android emulator like BlueStacks? I don't plan to play games on it but rather run some android application?

Elise111S
Fanfold Paper
Views: 838
Message 6 of 13

This is difficult to answer all your questions.

1.  I use the LCD display for reading, and the E-ink display for taking notes.  It can be the other way around as well, but functions are more limited that way.   You currently can not edit pdf on the E-ink display.

2.  Copy and paste is difficult to explain with the E-ink dislpay.  You can write on it, and then open it on the LCD and edit it there.  You can copy screen to the E-ink and edit there.  But copy and pasting is not intuitive or easy to do.  If you just take handwritten notes, there really is no problem.  If you are trying to copy and paste edit text, that currently is difficult, if not outright possible.  I don't know but other people may have a different experience.

3.  The E-ink display is not a windows controller other than a mouse and keyboard.  It currently only is a keyboard and mouse, notes and reader.

4.  I don't use an Android emmulator, but I see no reason why it would not, it is a Windows 10 home laptop, much like a Surface Pro.

Hope that helps.  If I am just using handwritten notes on the E-ink, and edit pdf on the LCD, which is what I do, this laptop makes me very happy.  

Here are some of the current limitations of the E-ink display I have listed in the past, that I believe would make the experience even better.

1.  Would like to see the ability to write on pdf on the E-ink screen, as in edit PDF files.

2.  How about copying from the main LCD screen and posting into a note on the E-ink screen???  This would be great. (Currently seems to be only able to copy images or screen captures and importing them to the E-ink screen).

3.  Make notes on the E-ink screen allow to be multiple pages long, instead of making a new note each time you need a new page.

4.  See an andriod app called Squid for ideas on how the E-ink screen could be awesome!!!

Guru
Views: 803
Message 7 of 13

Hi Lukas,

Are you perhaps willing to tell us a little bit about yourself?

Couple questions:
- Where do you use a laptop for?
- Mention software and apps you run the majority of the time.
- How often do you travel?

You can read a review here.

Q It is nice that from February update we will have one note integration with eink. Someone mention that it is possible to read in one screen and make note in second - it is true?
A: You can take notes in both displays. Whichever you prefer. The palm detection is the best I've seen in a convertible.

Q: Can I copy something from eink and paste it to second screen where I made notes?
A: There is a button with a image-icon. You will copy the E-ink note as an image, and paste it in the destination.

Q: It is possible to use only eink display to navigate in windows or for that we have to use only main screen and eink screen we use for keyboard, pdf, ebook reader, and to make notes?
A: Unforunately not. You can use the E-ink screen as a keyboard, touchpad, ebook reader and make notes.

Q: It is possible to run on LYB C930 any android emulator like BlueStacks?

Q: I don't plan to play games on it but rather run some android application?
A: Yes, but note, 4GB RAM is quite limiting. So you'll have to limit RAM in BlueStacks to 1-1.5 GB RAM. If you want, I can test this out for you.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

LukaszWS
Paper Tape
Views: 781
Message 8 of 13

Hi. I work as a truck driver and quite often I wait for loading or unloading 2, 3 hours or more, so I have some "free" time, and I have time to watch some movies ( netflix, amazon prime, ect.) to read some pdf, ebook, invoicing, basic accounting. I plan to use it as a gps navigation with usb gps receiver, it is 10.8ich only (not too big, not too small- at least I want to try it). I plan to edit some pdf, make some notes while reading ect. I would like to learn coding - I aware of LYB C930 limitation (performance, keyboard) and if I will want to develop in coding I will need complety different equipment but I'm far away from that. I have dilemma to buy LYB C930 or LY 920 2 in 1 laptop, 10.8 inch vs  13.9 inch. Both cost around £1100. I think that at the moment 10.8 ich size will suit me better, one device insted laptop and ereader, sat nav ( I know that I can use proffesional sat nav on windows 10).

Guru
Views: 770
Message 9 of 13

Then the Yoga Book C930 might be fine for now.

Later on, if you want to learn coding, perhaps take a look at the ThinkPad Yoga's by the time you get there. The TrackPoint is a great utility to code regardless of your environment.

The ThinkPad L390 Yoga might be just what you need. You won't find anything better for that price.

Increasing the price a little bit further, and you'll be looking at the ThinkPad X-series Yoga with a slight improvement in build quality.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

drj434343
Punch Card
Views: 700
Message 10 of 13

Two other unique aspects of the YB C930 for me.

1. The thinness really is class leading.  The only other systems that come close are Surface tablets without an attached keyboard, but there is no second screen in that case.  The thinness and lightness with full Windows 10 really is better than most everything I've seen out there.

2. I’ve discovered a usage configuration I call “book mode” which has become the most useful but unexpected mode of this laptop for me. I open it like a book, with both screens in portrait mode. E-ink is usually on the right, LCD on the left, so the power and volume buttons are on the top and I don’t hit them with my body.  In this mode, I effectively have dual screens in a thin book I can hold.  Usage includes reading+notetaking on e-ink, or giving lectures with PDF notes on e-ink and some other resource on the LCD.  For a lot of my use cases (lectures, meetings, study, or notetaking), the dual portrait screens with Windows on one side and drawing or PDF resources on the other is truly a new and exciting use for a laptop, which has provided a real measurable enhancement to my productivity, something I haven’t seen in many years of relatively stagnated laptop design.  I actually rarely use the YB folded completely back on itself (with only one screen showing).  It’s just so thin and small, that full open “book mode” is actually much more doable.

As has been mentioned before on these forums, if Lenovo really focused resources on making truly flexible, robust, and powerful software and firmware to support this hardware, I’m convinced they could move this concept from the niche low volume realm it is likely currently in, into a real mainstream hit.  To that end, things like OneNote integration, and greater e-reader capabilities are a step in the right direction.  However, in the long run, the only company I’ve seen that really has the software development guile to provide complete unified experiences (and even save poor hardware choices), is Apple.  Apple will spend years making things right for hardware.  Lenovo will likely abandon the C930 in short order, citing poor sales, never realizing lack of good software was a big part of the problem.

I still love it though…

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors