Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Yoga Book CommunityYoga Book C930
All Forum Topics
Options

16 Posts

10-01-2019

Romania

80 Signins

549 Page Views

• Views: 549
  • Message 1 of 7

Yoga Book c930 drawing/writing on e-ink in other software than Onenote

2019-10-01, 10:53 AM

I just bought a Yoga Book c930, updated it to the latest version - as far as I can tell. I read somewhere that it might be possible to choose which app the e-ink runs, as in not Onenote but something else. Has anyone ever heard of this? Is that really an option? Could I in any way draw/write on the e-ink display for ex. in Sketchable or ArtRage? Or is restricted to OneNote only? 

Options

94 Posts

12-18-2018

United States of America

97 Signins

873 Page Views

• Views: 873
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Yoga Book c930 drawing/writing on e-ink in other software than Onenote

2019-10-14, 16:31 PM

With addition of the new e screen, similar to the previous yogabook version, you could use the e screen to input into any application. Using the updated screen selection the new e screen can be used like a Wacom tablet.

Options

16 Posts

10-01-2019

Romania

80 Signins

549 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2019-10-15, 5:33 AM

Thanks for your feedback. I know already about this feature, been using it too. But what I was thinking is for example having a picture on the main display and trying to draw it on the e-ink one. Or have word open on the e-ink screen, write in it with the pen while on the main screen a synonym dictionary or the file with writing ideas is open.

Options

5 Posts

10-19-2019

United States of America

16 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 4 of 7

2019-10-19, 19:11 PM
I don't see what would be stopping you from having some art "inspo" up on the main display while you draw on the eInk… The Yoga does this wonderfully, natively and I frequently move such images in and out of OneNote or Paint.net for further edits.

As far as wanting to have a dictionary or thesaurus content up while you handwrite, I feel like, you may be trying to have content on the wrong screens. Again, you could easily have that sort of content on the main display and handwrite on the eInk and port into OneNote for Handwriting to text conversion or further edit... Unfortunately, Windows applications do not run on the eInk display, it operates solely as an input device and an eReader.

Word does support the pen inside its application, last I checked for Office 365, where you could write into word on the main display, and I suppose, have a browser open for your dictionary content, or use Word's language tools for such tasks.
Options

16 Posts

10-01-2019

Romania

80 Signins

549 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2019-10-20, 12:17 PM

I have been using it the way you wrote it. But for me it would be easier to see what I am drawing on the e-ink itself. I like seeing what I draw on the surface I am drawing on, without the need to look up or be fixated with my eyes on a different screen. On a different note, it would be nice to just draw on the e-ink while the windows is in some of sleep mode, just like when taking notes or in read mode, but not in Onenote.

Onenote does alright with handwriting, but for me on the drawing part it lacks many features. 

As for the dictionary, the same would imply, would be a nice feature for impromptu definitions lookup, something similar to the Kindle. Sure one can look it up on the screen, that is also a great way for it, but just highlighting the word and getting it's definition would be awesome. Also, this way one could save battery too. 

Don't get me wrong, I am more than satisfied with the device. I am just simply curious. Was hoping that either there might be some hidden features I have not yet discovered, or maybe there is some software/driver that makes what I am looking for do-able.

Options

5 Posts

10-19-2019

United States of America

16 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 6 of 7

2019-10-20, 17:51 PM
Hmmm..
"But for me it would be easier to see what I am drawing on the e-ink itself. I like seeing what I draw on the surface I am drawing on, without the need to look up or be fixated with my eyes on a different screen"

I feel like I'm not understanding. What you are saying is already possible, natively.

"On a different note, it would be nice to just draw on the e-ink while the windows is in some of sleep mode, just like when taking notes or in read mode, but not in Onenote."

Again, totally possible, fold the YB C930 so only the eInk display is up, double tap the display to wake it, navigate to the notes(sketchpad) on the eInk Homebar and begin writing/drawing... This mode is not OneNote, and has little to do with it, so far as I understand, lest you choose to sync the two by logging in to your account at the designated prompts. It is just an eInk notation app developed by Lenove, precisely for the purposes which you describe. It autosaves, has basic file management for your notes, lets you capture , copy, paste... I do design work and use it frequently for drawing and note-taking. I use the One Note sync to push my initial sketches to other applications for additional editing, organizing, and sharing.

I do moderately share the sentiment for long press shortcuts and other features in the eReader, which have become second nature on such devices as the Nook and Kindle units. Though, it's worth noting, those units did not have a full-featured computer and secondary display attached to them; as such, those features were borne out of necessity. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more features come to the eInk display, in time. I'm studying the files in the SDK to see what kind of additional function and customization can be developed.

But, to my knowledge, much of what it seems like you want is already more than possible through the latest firmware for the eInk display. (1.2.0.10)

I rarely use OneNote for drawing, it is very underpowered in that area. Its a great organizational and compositional tool. Paint.Net is still my favorite drawing program, I appreciate it being open-source. Sketchable has a beautiful UI, but I also found it to be sluggish on the YB and on its big brother the YC930 Glass, All of the pretty brush strokes and menu layouts and built-in features suck additional processor and memory from hardware that is already very precise.

Best of luck, either way! And there should definitely be a thread for eReader features and functions. If I don't find one, maybe I'll start it, I've been wondering if the community can get some like-minded development going to expand the eReader functionality.
Options

16 Posts

10-01-2019

Romania

80 Signins

549 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2019-10-20, 18:18 PM

Yes, you are right. Most if is already possible to some degree. I would just love to be able to run Krita on the e-ink....

I prefer that over any sketching/drawing software, such as Sketchable and so on, as it is free, has many useful features, many brushes to choose from and runs decently enough, as long as the number layers doesn't exceed somewhere above 15 or if the canvas isn't a huge one. Has a bit of a problem with rotating the canvas, but since I use that very rarely, it runs smoothly enough for me. Is accurate and without lags.

I agree on the part that it is a jack of all trades kind of device, so having all features from all the different devices it combines would be most likely hard to implement. But who knows, maybe one day, with a driver update we will some new features. Until then, I will surely try to make the most out of it.

Thanks for your reply, it is nice to read about possible usecases and ideas. 

A thread with eReader features is a great idea, there are many things one could discuss about it. 

Since you mentioned that you too use it for drawing,sketching I too wish you good luck with it and many great ideas!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms