Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newwayliu
Paper Tape
Views: 464
Message 1 of 5

yogabook c930 e ink timeout

there are a few issues with my yoga book with eink screen. when i switch from normal laptop mode to tablet by folding the screen 360 degrees, i can use only the eink screen by double tapping the eink screen. then one of the options i can use is to open pdf files with the 'book' icon. however, after a few minutes the screen goes back to the default display (some temple). I think this is because it went to sleep mode. this is annoying! i am reading! whats worse, when i turn it back on with the side button, the 'book' icon is gone! i can only choose between the 'pen' for drawing, or the 'keyboard' icon, which is useless because it will say 'cant use keyboard in this mode'.

is the a bug

prehprehpreh
Paper Tape
Views: 309
Message 2 of 5

Re: yogabook c930 e ink timeout

This has been happening to me periodically. I've had a lot of issues with this computer like this within the 3 days of using it. Recently my e ink screen has been impossible to take notes on while plugged into power. It spazzes, stops working, makes random lines, etc.. just too many issues in just 3 days of owning this little beast. I love the idea of it, but I dont see lenovo care enough to fix these issues.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 292
Message 3 of 5

In tablet, the double-tap to change screens in tablet mode is by design. This way, you don't risk unintended things happening on the other screen just from the way your hand is holding the device. 

The default sleep settings are a bit too tight, in my opinion, if you don't plan to hold the tablet like a book. I hold it like a book when using the e-ink to read something. The presence of my thumb on the panel keeps it from sleeping as does my finger when I swipe to the next page. But if I set it down to go grab a drink, it'll be asleep when I get back. So, I set the default sleep to "never" when plugged in and 5 minutes on battery. I will probably create a new power plan just for e-reading and switch to it when I plan to get into a book. 

The e-ink firmware update might help with the wakeup issue if you haven't already updated it. I installed the update and re-installed the software. Most things work better, now, but when it wakes from keyboard mode, the keyboard displays, but doesn't function. I have to switch to reader or settings and back for it to function, again. When I get a little time, I'm going to dig into it a bit and see if I can figure out what service is not starting or what's not set correctly.  

FWIW, @prehprehpreh's issue, above, doesn't appear to be with the computer: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Yoga-Book-C930/Yogabook-C930-Pen-problems-when-connected-to-power/td-p/...

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Jarl_Balgruuf
Paper Tape
Views: 281
Message 4 of 5

Still, I believe it's highly debatable to link the "screen timeout" with the E-Ink display. I often have the problem of taking notes, think, and then the device times out and the EInk screen turns off. Then, you will have to turn the device on again, log into your Windows account, switch to EInk display again and FINALLY continue.

This is even more a problem when the device is not logged into a Windows account. Then, there is a timeout of just a few seconds (and I know of no way to change this). This way, it's almost impossible to take notes.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 255
Message 5 of 5

Ok, I tried to replicate your issue using the most current firmware (Ver 1.0, Jan 2019) and software (1.1.0.24, March 2019).  Computer locked to tablet mode, but not rotation locked. On battery, I have the screen set to shut off after 4 minutes, sleep set for 10 minutes. I doodled for half an hour, pausing frequently.  Also got up, hit the restroom, came back.  Did it on my lap, while holding like a clipboard and flat on the table. With my hand resting on the screen and hovering. Never blanked out on me. 

Test two: Doodled a bit then set it aside for four minutes and turned off the stylus. At four minutes, the screen went into keyboard mode with the message that I can't use that keyboard in tablet mode. Touching anywhere didn't change anything and the e-ink panel quickly went to its screensaver. At that point, I had to hit the power button to wake the thing. Had to use my fingerprint to log back on.  The Windows screen came up, as expected. But the e-ink screen also went right back to where I'd left off doodling. At this point, both screens were active. To get it back to e-ink only, I had to fold the book back into laptop computer position (which brought up the keyboard) then fold it back and tap twice on the e-ink screen. This took me back to my doodling with no further steps necessary. 

I should note that, after updating the e-ink firmware, I reinstalled the e-ink software. Just seemed prudent. 

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors