Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barney1
Paper Tape
Views: 961
Message 1 of 5

Boot Lenovo Yoga Book from SD Card

Can anyone help me boot my Lenovo Yoga Book Windows 10 Pro (yb1-x91f) from an SD card?

I have looked throught the boot options and no option does it give me to boot from a USB or SD card.

Booting Neverware Cloudready on my Lenovo Yoga Book I think will be a great inprovement to booting regular windows.

Thanks.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 921
Message 2 of 5

Re: Boot Lenovo Yoga Book from SD Card

Never tried to boot from an SD card. I do know you'll have to go into the BIOS settings and change to Legacy boot. Then you should be able to choose the drive letter corresponding to the SD card.  Though, honestly, I know nothing about the OS you mention. Hopefully someone else does. I did see your laptop isn't listed on the compatibility page

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Barney1
Paper Tape
Views: 918
Message 3 of 5

Neverware Cloudready is basically a version of chromium os.
FarisJayyousi
802.11n
Views: 897
Message 4 of 5

I've read here in the forum that someone has successfully installed a fresh new copy of Windows 10 from an ISO image on a MicroSD card - So I know it is possible.

For this to work, you need to change the booting priority from the BIOS settings. You can access the BIOS by holding the power button along with the volume up key together for a few seconds.

Keep in mind that running a different OS such as Chromimum or Linux on the Yoga Book is not advised, because you will end up with a half working device. Halo Keyboard and the touch screen and other drivers may not function.

Highlighted
qoheleth
Paper Tape
Views: 858
Message 5 of 5

You can do this. The basic process is to take an ISO from a bootable Windows 10 DVD (apparently there are some issues with trying to use an ISO downloaded from Microsoft directly) and use a program like Rufus or YUMI to "burn" the ISO onto the SD. Then you need to set boot order to try to boot from the SD card first before the SSD.

The next question is, of course, do you really want to do this? There are a few U3 micro-SD cards that are able to reach the read/write speeds of SSDs circa 2008 now, but for random access as you need to boot, they're still in the abysmally slow range. In addition, you'll want to turn off the Windows Swap File (set the size to 0).  Otherwise, you'll burn through the limited writes to the SD card in a relatively short time.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors