Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Yoga Book CommunityYoga Book (Windows)
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

11-20-2014

Croatia

6 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 1 of 11

Cannot turn off halo click tone

2016-12-26, 3:01 AM

Hi,

can anyone please help me how to turn off this crazy annoying click sound on Win 10? I found the corresponding section as described here but toggling off the sound does not have any effect. Once I enable vibration to get some haptic feedback I inherit this horrible sound which drives me (and anyone else around me) crazy.

Below the screenshot of my halo settings (German):

Looks correct to me. Any idea what might be wrong?

Thx!

Options

919 Posts

07-05-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1521 Signins

5917 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 5917
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: Cannot turn off halo click tone

2017-01-10, 9:41 AM

wrote:

Hi,

can anyone please help me how to turn off this crazy annoying click sound on Win 10? I found the corresponding section as described here but toggling off the sound does not have any effect. Once I enable vibration to get some haptic feedback I inherit this horrible sound which drives me (and anyone else around me) crazy.

Below the screenshot of my halo settings (German):

Looks correct to me. Any idea what might be wrong?

Thx!

Hi Jan_Zahalka,

Everything you have done there is correct, only other option is to try a Factory Reset and then turn of the sound before installing any updates incase it is an update that has stop it working.

Hope this help you and let us know how you get on

=====================================================================================
Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

312 Posts

11-19-2016

1897 Signins

9880 Page Views

• Views: 9880
  • Message 3 of 11

2017-01-10, 11:33 AM

It might actually be worth trying switching it on (even though it is on), applying the change and then try switching it off again and applying. This has worked for me recently - and it has been a solution to another toggle switch problem on another device in the past. Worth trying if it's going to save you taking more drastic measures.

Options

8 Posts

11-20-2014

Croatia

6 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2017-01-10, 22:16 PM
I tried it several times now, toggling all variants on and off and applying, unfortunately no effect. The tone is bound to the vibration setting, I can only toggle both of them via this one.
Thanks for the hint anyways!
Options

8 Posts

11-20-2014

Croatia

6 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2017-01-10, 22:48 PM

Hi Neo_cortex,

I went for a factory reset now - result is the same, but after playing around with the settings a bit I think I misinterpreted the sound.

Switching on "Touch tone": I hear a decent, generated click sound, not too bad (I'd switch it off anyways)

Switching on "Vibrate on keypress": There it is again. Sounds like the error beep of old 8bit PC's on each keypress. But rather mechanic, could it even be the "natural" sound of the keyboard haptics?

Can you (or some other user) confirm that enabling vibration in halo comes at the price of a horrible beep-like sound on each keypress?

Thanks a lot,

Jan

wrote:

Hi Jan_Zahalka,

Everything you have done there is correct, only other option is to try a Factory Reset and then turn of the sound before installing any updates incase it is an update that has stop it working.

Hope this help you and let us know how you get on

=====================================================================================
Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

312 Posts

11-19-2016

1897 Signins

9880 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2017-01-11, 7:46 AM

Have you tried turn off keyboard clicks in the Windows Keyboard settings as well as the Halo settings? - I recall having heard two different sounds from keyboard touches - but I used settings to stop them not driver updates or resets.

I think one sound comes from the Halo software and one from the Windows system.

Perhaps it is something different though.

Options

8 Posts

11-20-2014

Croatia

6 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2017-01-11, 19:18 PM

Hey David,

the only settings (besides Halo) I could find in Windows control the onscreen keyboard of Windows 10. I deactivated click sounds there as well - no effect on Halo.

I seriously wonder: is the vibration feedback of Halo supposed to be silent at all? How do you (or others) expirience the vibration of the Halo keyboard - is it silent for you?

Options

8 Posts

11-20-2014

Croatia

6 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2017-01-11, 19:29 PM

I found a description of my experience in a review here https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-yoga-book/review.

While the Halo keyboard lacks the physical feedback of pushing a key down, there are two forms of feedback built in. One works, the other is awful. There's a small haptic kick from typing, and that makes it easier to tell if a keystroke has registered, which is especially important while typing long sentences. That works fine, although it's a general all-over kick, not localized to the area of the backlit keyboard you're trying to hit.

The second is a loud beep with every keystroke. At least it's every keystroke as long as you pause a few beats between each letter. Otherwise, your typing quickly outpaces the audio cues, and you end up with a trailing series of beeps, which totally throws off any typing rhythm. It makes the very minimal keyboard lag feel much worse than it is.

The strange thing is, that I get the loud beep together with the haptic kick, I cannot seperate them.

Options

312 Posts

11-19-2016

1897 Signins

9880 Page Views

• Message 9 of 11

2017-01-12, 0:16 AM

Jan,

I don't like the haptic feedback at all (that's just my preference).

The thing I did notice was that at one point (I can't recall whether it was after a reset or a driver update) there was a different sound than previously. The first sound was deeper, the second like, or more like, the sound used for the on-screen keyboard. But I find all of them so annoying that I switch them, and vibration, off as soon as possible, and for me it has worked without problems except for the time I had feedback when the Halo settings panel indicated it was off - that's when I used the trick I mentioned earlier.

The two different sounds were why I made the second suggestion of going to the Windows keyboard settings  - I routinely ensure I get rid of keyboard clicks asap, so I would have done that anyway.

Any vibration makes some noise - it's basically a tiny motor doing it and motors make noise, and if the device is on a hard surface it will be amplified by the device rattling against it - like mobile phones left on a desk will. (I guess the motors aren't designed to be as quiet as possible as fan motors would be.)

Options

8 Posts

11-20-2014

Croatia

6 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2017-01-15, 13:59 PM

Hey David,

sure, vibration is a matter of preference. I personally do not like any keyboard sounds but would welcome a vibration feedback - as long as it does not come with a sound which annoys both me ans even other people in the same room.

The sound I am observing is not dependent on the surface (same beep loudness no matter if on the table or the couch). 

A colleague of mine will get his Yoga Book soon - I will doublecheck if the sounds are the same at his device (and give feedback here).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms