Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Yoga Book CommunityYoga Book (Windows)
All Forum Topics
Options

18 Posts

12-25-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 1 of 28

Drive is locked

2019-01-01, 16:02 PM

I've been so disappointed in the Yoga tablet.  It's not responsive as my Toshibas were and now everything has gone black.  I have a Windows 10 thumb drive so I can reload Windows if something goes wrong.  However, nothing works - the drive is locked and absolutely nothing works.  Since it does not have an exterior battery that usually helps to reset Toshiba by removing it and reattaching to the computer - there is no way to reset or to get anything to start on the maching.  I've had this device for about 6 months and already it's unusable.  This is so disheartening.  What can I do to get this horrid computer replaced or my money back which would be preferable.

Answer
Options

18 Posts

12-25-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

82 Page Views

Re: Drive is locked

2019-01-17, 17:31 PM

THANK YOU - Thank You - Thank You a million times over.  Cross you fingers but the site you sent me https://techwiser.com/wifi-connected-but-no-internet-access/ - flushing the DNS has hopefully solved my problem.  Since this morning after receiving your message and I flushed the DNS, my internet connection has not dropped one time and it was dropping approximately every 5 minutes.

Thanks Again.  Now maybe I won't have to throw this computer in the trash.  With what I do all day long every day the one thing that cannot happen is to be without a stable internet connection.

You are my new hero....

Replies(27)
Options

12340 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40520 Signins

427604 Page Views

• Views: 427604
  • Message 2 of 28

2019-01-01, 16:36 PM

Are you saying the thumb drive is broken?  Can it be seen in another machine?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

312 Posts

11-19-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1897 Signins

9880 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 9880
  • Message 3 of 28

2019-01-01, 18:47 PM

Bev - your post is not clear about what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to make a system backup to the thumb drive or are you trying re-install, reset or perhaps copy a system back up onto the Yoga Book? Perhaps it's just that the Yoga Book is refusing to boot up or wake up from sleep or hibernation - it's not clear from what you're saying.

Whichever it is, it would help people help you if you can tell us what is happening when you are hitting the problem.

As far as a refund or replacement -  that's an issue with whoever sold it to you. If that's Lenovo then you need to contact their customer support. (You should be able to find the link to that on their shop page.) Otherwise contact your retailer. (Can't say much more. I'm not in the US.) 

Options

457 Posts

06-07-2017

Palestine, State of

1226 Signins

7220 Page Views

• Views: 7220
  • Message 4 of 28

2019-01-01, 19:18 PM

Is this even a post regarding the Lenovo Yoga Book or another Yoga tablet device? Please be more clear and try to provide as much details as possible.

Options

18 Posts

12-25-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 5 of 28

2019-01-03, 2:42 AM

This is a Yoga computer.  I have had it 5 months or so.  The drive is locked.  I have a thumb drive with Windows 10 on it and the message is the drive is locked so can't reload or repair Windows 10.   There is no other way to describe it.  The start screen would not come on.  I am savvy with computers and finally after pressing the on/off button got the computer to recognize the thumb drive.  There is nothing that can be done if the drive is locked as the message said probably.  What a shame.

This computer has been a nightmare.  I've had over 25 laptop computers and have never had any such issue.  This computer has no way to play a disk and no outside battery.  I won't buy another Levono computer.   Most likely, I'll have to install a new hard drive and install Windows 10.  That will get rid of the Levono drive which is probably the problem.  This is too bad for a computer which is suppose to have such good ratings.  What a disappointment.

Options

18 Posts

12-25-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 6 of 28

2019-01-03, 2:49 AM

BTW - There is no way to type something in the 'run' box.  The computer will not boot at all - I have a blank screen so there is no need to send me words or symbols to type into the 'run' box.

Options

18 Posts

12-25-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 7 of 28

2019-01-03, 2:51 AM

I see there is another person who bought the Yoga who has had the drive to lock.  If you read down the list, you will see it.

The fix seems to be to type into the 'run' box.  My computer will not boot even with a Windows 10 thumb drive.

Options

18 Posts

12-25-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 8 of 28

2019-01-03, 3:05 AM

The hard drive is locked.  When I turn the computer on I get a blank screen.  When I put the Windows 10 thumb drive in to try to reinstall Windows 10 or to reset, the message says "the drive is locked, unlock the drive".  I see another one of the people on your blog is having the same problem.  The solution for them was to type words or symbols into the 'run' box, but I have a blank screen so there is no way to type in the 'run' box.  The computer will not boot and will not allow my thumb drive to do anything (repair or reset).  Yes, my thumb drive works on other computers.  I have many other computers and have never had this happen -  first computer in 1985.  I'm computer savvy and know this is not something that's ever happened to any computer ever owned by me.  Maybe it's a conflict between the Lenovo drive and Drive C on the computer.  Who knows.  I would imagine that I'll have to have a new hard drive installed on my dime.  Live and learn.

Options

312 Posts

11-19-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1897 Signins

9880 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 9880
  • Message 9 of 28

2019-01-03, 9:46 AM

Still not clear about what we're dealing with - but this is the best I can offer.

I'm assuming we are actually talking about a Windows Yoga Book. (The term Yoga refers to a whole range of Lenovo devices most of which are quite different to the Yoga Book.)

I'm guessing that the issue is a corrupted Boot Manager or partition table. (It could otherwise be a Bitlocker issue or possible a faulty drive.) The troubleshooter may sort this out for you.

(You may not need it for this can you actually boot another computer from your thumb drive? Just copying installation files onto a thumb drive won't make it bootable. The most straightforward way to do it is to use the Windows Media Creation Tool. But it takes time. The resulting drive will work for installation and also repair.)

Ensure your Yoga book has a good amount of charge in the battery and is turned off. Remove the charger.

Start the Yoga Book by pressing down and holding volume up and then also the power button until the power light comes on.

You should see a menu on light coloured screen with four options - the top one is "Novo".

(Everything will be in portrait mode now - that's usual.)

Use the touchscreen to choose "System Recovery". (You'll have to use the touchscreen all through this.)

then work through the menus choosing:

Troubleshoot>Advanced>Start Up Repair.

(At this point if you have Windows 10 Pro you will get a screen asking for the bitlocker key. You can choose the option to "skip this drive" but I would guess this is unlikely to work. You'll need to get the key on another computer from the microsoft account you used with the Yoga Book and enter it via the on screen number pad.)

This Yoga Book should then try and sort the problem out. There is a risk you may lose your data, but if it does work I would be optimistic that you wouldn't.

If this doesn't work there seem to be ways of fixing the boot manager but I can't advise on how that would be done on the Yoga Book. Someone else might be able to, I don't know.

If it does work and you get windows working again I would suggest making a system backup if you can. At least then you should be able to restore to a working system if you ever need to.

Options

18 Posts

12-25-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 10 of 28

2019-01-04, 1:23 AM

Thanks for the reply, but I don't have a clue what the volume up key is.  That's fine.  I took the computer to my IT guy and he said there was no way I could unlock that drive.   He finally did his magic through a couple of hours of work and was able to reload Windows 10.  He said he had never seen that before as long as he's been in the business yet I see on the blog that there is another Levono customer who is having the same problem.  This is definitely not normal and exclusive to Lenovo evidently.  There will be no more purchases of any Levono computer.  That's for sure.  At least now, I don't have the Lenovo drive.   That's good.  What a big mess and it cost me another $149.00 to repair the computer since you don't honor your warranty. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms