Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Yoga Book CommunityYoga Book (Windows)
All Forum Topics
Options

315 Posts

11-19-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1900 Signins

9890 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 9890
  • Message 11 of 28

Re: Drive is locked

2019-01-04, 8:06 AM

First - I am not from Lenovo  nor are most of the people posting here - we're just users trying to help others.

Second - I did a quick google of your error - which showed it was not a Lenovo specific issue.

Third - a quick look at the user guide would have told you where the volume up button was. (Unless, of course the computer you have is not a Yoga Book after all, which I guess was the case, but you never confirmed that.)

Sounds like the guy just replaced the hard drive and did a fresh install.  I suspect I know what the issue was now, but it doesn't matter anymore.

Options

18 Posts

12-25-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 12 of 28

2019-01-05, 21:08 PM

Yes I do have a Yoga notebook and my IT expert has been in the business for decades and has never seen a locked disk that absolutely could not be unlocked.  No matter where any key was.  There was no way to unlock that drive and there was a blank screen with no 'run' box.. 

As said earlier, I've owned a plethora of computers including Packard Bell, Dell,, Sony, Toshiba and many others.  The Sony lasted 12 years with 4 different assistants using it and the Toshibas have been very good computers, but this one lasted about 5 months before being unusable.

Having said that - Thank you for the help.  I thought this was Lenovo employees trying to help us figure out the problem.  At any rate, this is the last Lenovo product I will buy.  Incidentally, when at the dentist yesterday I was speaking to the doctor about my problem and she said - Oh brother, my Lenovo has given me nothing but problems.  So there you have it.

Have a great New Year.

AND

Thank goodness for experts that help us fix the computers that go down.  Without a reliable computer, life is a lot more difficult.

All the Best,

Options

18 Posts

12-25-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 13 of 28

2019-01-05, 21:09 PM

BTW - What do you think the issue was and I'll run it by my IT expert.

Options

315 Posts

11-19-2016

1900 Signins

9890 Page Views

• Message 14 of 28

2019-01-05, 22:57 PM

In the end I came to two theories:

You mentioned the "Lenovo drive" - I realised belatedly that you could be refering to a partition on the hard drive that's usually hidden. Yoga Books don't come with such a partition. The "C Drive" is is just another partition, but the main one. 

Apart from the fact that this indicated the notebook is not a Yoga Book (which is one specific model in the Yoga line -  it's confusing, I know), this, and the fact you mentioned it, suggested that perhaps something had messed up the partition table. This basically tells the computer where on the drive to find the operating system and other necessary partitions. (The Lenovo partition has, in my experience, drivers stored on it which can be needed if a new install is done. ( I have deleted such a partition myself in the past and had to find a driver that would have been on it from elsewhere.) It can usually be fixed -I've done it myself in the past (not on Lenovos as it happens) when I've been messing about with the partitions on a drive, probably after trying to install a Linux OS, I can't recall. 

The other, which would suggest that your laptop might be secondhand (you didn't mention that so I had no reason to think it is), is that a security lock had been in placed on the drive - the sort of measure that would be done by a company on it's own machines. Some retailers who sell ex-corporate laptops wouldn't do anything about removing such a lock because they might not expect their customers to do anything that would make it a problem - or they might just not bother. That might mean the drive would indeed need to be replaced - but I was still working on the basis that it was a Yoga Book, on which you would not be able to replace the drive.

Neither of these things are unique to Lenovo.

I should apologise, I may a seemed a bit tetchy -  there have been a lot of posts in this section of the forum recently that don't belong here - and it's a bit annoying.  Not your fault - the naming of the Yoga Book makes it confusing.

Personally I've had six Lenovo machines and had no major issues with any of them.  The Yoga Book model does have it's own issues (it's how I ended up here) but that's not surprising - even  Lenovo admitted it was a bit of an experiment.

Options

18 Posts

12-25-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 15 of 28

2019-01-05, 23:56 PM

As it turns out, I bought a brand new (from Best Buy) in May a Lenovo" YOGA 730-15"  Yes there was a Lenovo partician D - I know because I have CCleaner Defraggler Pro - and it said not to defrag "D" or it might cause the computer to become unstable (or something similar) so I did NOT defrag partition "D".

Everything had been rocking along and all of a sudden the screen went blank.  I could fiddle with the on/off switch and could finally get the computer to read the Windows 10 thumb drive, but when I ask it to repair or to reset - the message was always "The Drive is locked - unlock the drive" (or a similar message).

Since there was no screen, there was no 'run' box to type in commands suggested with a simple Google.

The computer was unresponsive and unusable.  Isn't it strange that after having many assistants over the years using one of my laptops- mainly journalism students - who helped with with all kinds of publishing and an extreme amount of mailouts that I've never ever had a computer in which the drive locked EVER.

I've had to reset Windows 10 several times on several of my computers because the updates are so buggy, etc but nothing I couldn't handle easily.  This was a first.

How do you unlock the drive when there is a blank screen and Windows 10 will not load.  I'd like to pass the information onto my IT expert.

Options

315 Posts

11-19-2016

1900 Signins

9890 Page Views

• Message 16 of 28

2019-01-06, 9:49 AM

My guess is that the D drive issue is a distraction. The only way it could be relevant is if the boot management was trying to boot from it, which seems unlikely, and even then I wouldn't expect a blank screen just repeated failures to boot up. The D drive wouldn't need defragging beause it's there only to hold some data - it would only be read from not written to.

With the extra information I'd go with the faulty drive explanation (but not rule out corruption of data on the drive causing it) and if the laptop was under guarantee go to the Retailer. It's possibly a flaw of my own nature but I guess I would have swapped the hard drive to see if I could get the computer working again and then tried to "fix" the hard drive by connecting it externally to try and recover data, then wipe it and reformat it if I could. So I guess that's what your IT guy did - except he probably didn't try to fix the drive on the basis that it might not be worth the effort and cost in time, and might not work anyway which is reasonable.

The problem from my point of view here is that without enough information I was having to do too much guessing! Your guy could actually see what was going on.

(UK consumer law would say the retailer would be the first port of call to address a fault and they would deal with Lenovo if necessary - but things may be a bit different in the US.)

Options

18 Posts

12-25-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 17 of 28

2019-01-06, 18:17 PM

Thanks for the information.  The reason I didn't take the computer back to Best Buy was because I'd have to wait on it for a week.  My IT expert had it out for me in the same day I gave the computer to him.  Time is money and trying to fix the drive would most likely have cost more money than putting in a new drive.  I have all the information on thumb drives so that wasn't a big deal.

If you were not inclined to buy another Lenovo, what would be a computer you would buy.  I'm thinking of buying a couple more computers.

Options

457 Posts

06-07-2017

Palestine, State of

1226 Signins

7220 Page Views

• Views: 7220
  • Message 18 of 28

2019-01-06, 18:22 PM

If you were not inclined to buy another Lenovo, what would be a computer you would buy.  I'm thinking of buying a couple more computers.

Don't judge on all Lenovo devices just because you had bad luck with one of them. ? What are your thoughts on the new Lenovo Yoga Book C930? You may find it unique and worth the investment. 

Options

18 Posts

12-25-2018

United States of America

16 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 19 of 28

2019-01-06, 20:39 PM

I'm through with Lenovo.  Sorry.  As said, I've owned many computers since 1985 and have never had a computer fail in the first 5 months.

Do you not have any other suggestions or do you have some allegiance to Lenovo.  If so, that's fine.

Options

315 Posts

11-19-2016

1900 Signins

9890 Page Views

• Message 20 of 28

2019-01-06, 23:28 PM

FarisJayyousi's point is fair and quite right and doesn't indicate someone is on lenovo's pay role.

If it was the hard drive that failed don't blame Lenovo - they didn't manufacture the drive and in any manufacturing process bad items slip through ocassionally. That's just real life. Also forums and user comments always are concentrated on the problems because it's people with problems who write about it. Those that are happy usually say nothing. One should always be aware of that when reading such things.

Personally I'd suggest all the main manufacturers are pretty much as good and bad as each other - just different.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms