Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sandman45654
Punch Card
Views: 7,777
Message 1 of 17

{How-to} Creating a Windows 10 install just for the Yoga Book!

The Struggle:

If you have ever tried to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on the Lenovo Yoga Book using a standard Windows ISO you know it can be a nightmare! You need a few extra pieces of hardware before you can even begin! After Windows has finished installing you still aren’t close to being finished! You will have several missing drivers that have to be sorted out and downloaded. It all takes way too much time and effort. It was bad enough the last time I installed Windows 10 I started putting this together for my own personal use. After seeing how well it works I knew it would be a shame not to share! Using this process you will inject 48 drivers into your Windows 10 setup ISO. Everything else remains stock, nothing else added and nothing is ever removed.

Benefits:

1. You no longer need to use a USB hub/mouse/keyboard for setup! Just an OTG adapter and an 8 gigabyte (or larger) USB drive. Even during the earliest stage of installation you will have touch and pen support! This is all I use to install Windows 10 on my Yoga Book now! 

easy.jpg

2. Windows boots the first time with all of the correct drivers installed, even if you decide not to connect to Wi-Fi during setup.

3. After the “Getting devices ready…” stage of Windows setup you will have full hardware support! The keyboard, trackpad, touchscreen, audio, and Wi-Fi all function and allow for a painless install.

4. You will always have a fallback copy of Windows 10 that just works!

Preparation - What you will need:

You will need to install four programs to complete this process. All are small downloads (less than 15 megabytes combined) that are free or have fully functioning trials.

Winrar NTLite Rufus

If you do not already have one you will need to download a standard 64 bit Windows 10 ISO. For this you have two options.

Option 1 Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool 

Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool ISOs use ESD compression which increases build time considerably.

Option 2 Windows ISO Downloader 5.28  (preferred method)

Windows ISO Downloader also downloads from Microsoft’s servers while allowing you select which update level you would prefer. These ISO files do not use ESD compression and are quicker to work with.

Last but certainly not least you need to download "Yoga Setup Files".

This 159 megabyte file contains all of the drivers and other supporting files that I put together needed to complete this process!

Build process:

Step 1. Highlight both the Windows 10 ISO and “Yoga Setup Files.rar” files.

Right click one of them and select “Extract each archive to separate folder”

Step 2. Launch NTLite.

Step 3. Drag and drop the extracted Windows 10 setup folder into NTLite.

Step 4. Double click "Boot/Setup | boot.wim".

Step 5. Double click on "Microsoft Windows Setup (x64). Wait for it to finish loading.

Step 6. Click “Drivers" now drag and drop the "Boot.wim Drivers" folder into NTLite.

Step 7. Tap apply. Select "Don't backup log and preset". Leave all other settings as is and click Process. NTLite will advise to disable Windows Defender to increase performance. This is completely optional.

Step 8. Click on "Source".

Step 9. Double click your version of Windows, "Windows 10 Home x64 Core" or "Windows 10 Pro x64 Professional" and wait for it to load. This will take a couple of minutes. 

Step 10. Once loaded right click your version Windows and select "Explore mount directory".

Step 11. Copy and paste the "system32" folder from "Yoga Setup Files\Fix files" into the Windows folder of the Explorer window that opened. You can now close the window. These files are needed to enable haptic feedback.

Step 12. Click “Drivers” then drag and drop the "Install.wim Drivers" folder folder into NTLite.

Step 13. Click "Registry" then drag and drop “Yoga Setup Files\Fix Files\RegEntries.reg” into NTLite.

Step 14. Click "Post-Setup"

Step 15. Drag and drop “Yoga Setup Files\Fix Files\mms.msi” into NTLite.

Step 16. Drag and drop “Yoga Setup Files\Fix Files\hkb.msi” into NTLite.

Step 17. Click "Apply" and use the following settings.

Under “Saving mode” select "Save the image and trim editions".

Under "Image format" if you would like you can select "High compression, read-only (ESD)" if you like. **

Select "Don't backup log and preset"

Select "Create ISO"

NTLite will ask you to name your ISO file. Save the ISO on your desktop as Win10Yoga.

NTLite will now ask for a label set it as Win10Yoga too.

Step 18. Click "Process" and wait for your custom Windows 10 installation ISO to be completed! While you wait go ahead and Insert a USB memory. This drive need to be 8 gigabytes or larger. This drive will be formatted during this process!

Step 19. Launch Rufus.

Step 20. Make sure the correct drive is selected under “Device”.

Step 21. Click the button with a cd sitting on a drive and browse to Win10Yoga.iso

Step 22. Click “Start” followed by “Yes” to begin copying the ISO files to disk!

**Notes about ESD compression:

Install.esd is a very large, highly compressed file. It contains the bulk of the files copied to your PC during Windows installation. The current version is 3.0 gigabytes and takes a decent amount of time to decompress and even longer to compress. How long depends on your computer as ESD compression is very taxing on the CPU. Install.wim, its far less compressed counterpart containing the exact same files weighs in at 3.8 gigabytes for comparison. ESD compression also increases the time it takes to install Windows by roughly 10 minutes.

Various other notes:

In order to use the touchscreen in the BIOS it needs to be updated to the latest version.

There are now two Windows variants of the Lenovo Yoga Book. The newest variant has a 128GB hard drive and comes loaded with Windows 10 Professional. Please sure to select the correct edition for your machine! If you select the wrong version Windows will still install but fail activation.

Up until the "Getting devices ready..." stage of Windows setup things will display in portrait mode. This is due to a limitation on which drivers can be injected into the boot.wim file. It will switch to landscape mode automatically.

You will need to reboot after Windows has finished installing to enable haptic feedback and the pen button.

While the list of steps is a bit long the process is straight forward and depending on the machine used can be done in about 20 minutes.

FarisJayyousi
802.11n
Views: 7,752
Message 2 of 17

Re: {How-to} Creating a Windows 10 install just for the Yoga Book!

You have all my respect. 😊Would be appreciated if you post this in xda-developers forum for the Yoga Book. 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/yoga-book

Sandman45654
Punch Card
Views: 7,727
Message 3 of 17

Thank you Sir Smiley Happy It has been shared there as well in the Yoga Book how to section.

Sandman45654
Punch Card
Views: 7,662
Message 4 of 17

I have uploaded a newer version that now includes the Dolby software. It can be downloaded here.

Instructions have change slightly but I can't seem to update the topic so I will add the two new steps below.

After step 16 do the following.

1. Drag and drop “Yoga Setup Files\Fix Files\api.msi” into NTLite.

2. Drag and drop “Yoga Setup Files\Fix Files\dlb.msi” into NTLite.

Now continue on to step 17.

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 7,640
Message 5 of 17

This is epic. I’m gonna have to try this. 

Sandman45654
Punch Card
Views: 7,625
Message 6 of 17

Thanks! Please let us know how it works for you. 

Sandman45654
Punch Card
Views: 7,620
Message 7 of 17

{How-to} Creating a Windows 10 install just for the Yoga Book! FINAL

The inability to edit my original post has led to this page being sloppy. I am sorry about this. Please follow this version of the guide. I have updated the process to include all Lenovo patches (Lenovo Paper excluded) as well as all of the drivers needed. I have also reworked the guide to make it a little bit easier.

The Struggle:

If you have ever tried to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on the Lenovo Yoga Book using a standard Windows ISO you know it can be a nightmare! You need a few extra pieces of hardware before you can even begin! After Windows has finished installing you still aren’t close to being finished! You will have several missing drivers that have to be sorted out and downloaded. It all takes way too much time and effort. It was bad enough the last time I installed Windows 10 I started putting this together for my own personal use. After seeing how well it works I knew it would be a shame not to share! Using this process you will inject 48 drivers into your Windows 10 setup ISO. Everything else remains stock, nothing else added and nothing is ever removed.

Benefits:

1. You no longer need to use a USB hub/mouse/keyboard for setup! Just an OTG adapter and an 8 gigabyte (or larger) USB drive. Even during the earliest stage of installation you will have touch and pen support! This is all I use to install Windows 10 on my Yoga Book now! 

easy.jpg

2. Windows boots the first time with all of the correct drivers installed, even if you decide not to connect to Wi-Fi during setup.

3. After the “Getting devices ready…” stage of Windows setup you will have full hardware support! The keyboard, trackpad, touchscreen, audio, and Wi-Fi all function and allow for a painless install.

4. You will always have a fallback copy of Windows 10 that just works!

Preparation - What you will need:

You will need to install four programs to complete this process. All are small downloads (less than 15 megabytes combined) that are free or have fully functioning trials.

Winrar NTLite Rufus

If you do not already have one you will need to download a standard 64 bit Windows 10 ISO. For this you have two options.

Option 1 Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool 

Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool ISOs use ESD compression which increases build time considerably.

Option 2 Windows ISO Downloader 5.28  (preferred method)

Windows ISO Downloader also downloads from Microsoft’s servers while allowing you select which update level you would prefer. These ISO files do not use ESD compression and are quicker to work with.

Last but certainly not least you need to download "Yoga Setup Files".

This 171 megabyte file contains all of the drivers and other supporting files that I put together needed to complete this process!

Build process:

Step 1. Highlight both the Windows 10 ISO and “Yoga Setup Files.rar” files.
Right click one of them and select “Extract each archive to separate folder”
Step 2. Launch NTLite.
Step 3. Drag and drop the extracted Windows 10 setup folder into NTLite.
Step 4. Double click "Boot/Setup | boot.wim".
Step 5. Double click on "Microsoft Windows Setup (x64)". Wait for it to finish loading.
Step 6. Click “Drivers" now drag and drop the "Boot.wim Drivers" folder into NTLite.
Step 7. Tap apply. Select "Don't backup log and preset". Leave all other settings as is and click Process.
NTLite will advise to disable Windows Defender to increase performance. this is completely optional.
Step 8. Click on "Source".
Step 9. Double click your version of Windows, "Windows 10 Home x64 Core" or "Windows 10 Pro x64 Professional" and wait for it to load. This will take a couple of minutes.
Step 10. Once loaded right click your version Windows and select "Explore mount directory".
Step 11. Copy and paste the included "system32" folder from into the Windows folder of the Explorer window that opened.You can now close the window. These files are needed to enable haptic feedback.
Step 12. Click “Drivers” then drag and drop the "Install.wim Drivers" folder folder into NTLite.
Step 13. Click "Registry" then drag and drop "RegistryEntries.reg” into NTLite.
Step 14. Click "Post-Setup"
Step 15. Open the MSI folder then drag and drop each file in order into NTLite.
Step 16. Click "Apply" and use the following settings.
Under “Saving mode” select "Save the image and trim editions".
Under "Image format" if you would like you can select "High compression, read-only (ESD)" if you like. **
Select "Don't backup log and preset"
Select "Create ISO"
NTLite will ask you to name your ISO file. Save the ISO on your desktop as Win10Yoga.
NTLite will now ask for a label set it as Win10Yoga also.
Step 17. Click "Process" and wait for your custom Windows 10 installation ISO to be completed!
While you wait go ahead and Insert a USB memory. This drive need to be 8 gigabytes or larger. This drive will be formatted during this process!
Step 18. Launch Rufus. 

Step 19. Make sure the correct drive is selected under “Device”.
Step 20. Click the button with a cd sitting on a drive and browse to Win10Yoga.iso
Step 21. Click “Start” followed by “Yes” to begin copying the ISO files to disk!a.iso

**Notes about ESD compression:

Install.esd is a very large, highly compressed file. It contains the bulk of the files copied to your PC during Windows installation. The current version is 3.0 gigabytes and takes a decent amount of time to decompress and even longer to compress. How long depends on your computer as ESD compression is very taxing on the CPU. Install.wim, its far less compressed counterpart containing the exact same files weighs in at 3.8 gigabytes for comparison. ESD compression also increases the time it takes to install Windows by roughly 10 minutes.

Various other notes:

In order to use the touchscreen in the BIOS it needs to be updated to the latest version.

There are now two Windows variants of the Lenovo Yoga Book. The newest variant has a 128GB hard drive and comes loaded with Windows 10 Professional. Please sure to select the correct edition for your machine! If you select the wrong version Windows will still install but fail activation.

Up until the "Getting devices ready..." stage of Windows setup things will display in portrait mode. This is due to a limitation on which drivers can be injected into the boot.wim file. It will switch to landscape mode automatically.

You will need to reboot after Windows has finished installing to enable haptic feedback and the pen button.

While the list of steps is a bit long the process is straight forward and depending on the machine used can be done in about 20 minutes.

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 7,618
Message 8 of 17

I've got the thumbdrives and adapters on order. Should have them soon. Smiley Happy 

Sandman45654
Punch Card
Views: 7,600
Message 9 of 17

Looking forward to hearing how well it works for you! I am working on uploading the final version. It includes everything posted on Lenovo's drivers page. Everything except the Lenovo paper due to the UAC prompt issue.
IshKaBibble1
What's DOS?
Views: 7,499
Message 10 of 17

Man I can't thank you enough for this! Last time I installed windows on my book it took 3 days to get everything right. After 30 minutes I was all set up and installing my apps.

Top Kudoed Authors