Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidbenton
802.11n
Views: 448
Message 1 of 14

May 2019 update on the Yoga Book

The May 2019 update seems to run just fine on the Yoga Book - however, there are a couple of things you might need to be aware of.

Windows reserves extra space with this version - to manage future routine updates better as I understand it. This means that after doing this update you will lose a significant chunk of your storage space. This may be a good time to consider using an SD card for your data storage if you are not already doing that.

The download currently available will not install from a usb media. You will need to copy the files from the usb key onto the Yoga Book's drive and run setup from there. (I made a folder for them.) You may need to backup and remove data from the Yoga Book first to ensure there's enough space for the update to be completed. You could move your data to the SD card, of course. You should also remove the SD card (if you have one) while doing the update. You shouldn't try and run the update from the SD card. I presume you can run the setup from the iso if that's what you downloaded but I haven't tried that.

The update will take some time to complete - the Yoga Book is slow, as we know.

Once done you can delete the files you copied to the hard drive straight away - but even on a system with only a basic set of programs installed you may only have about 23Gb of storage left. You could delete the Windows.old folder, or run a cleanup to do that, but that would prevent rolling back - so you might not want to risk that.

Microsoft will eventually offer the update to Yoga Book users automatically when the issue with installing when another drive  attached is fixed - but it will be worth being prepared for it because of the potential problems with storage space. As I suggested before it might a wise to get an SD card for your data storage if you aren't already doing that.

(This will apply for any Windows computers with lower capacity storage drives.)

FarisJayyousi
802.11n
Views: 422
Message 2 of 14

Re: May 2019 update on the Yoga Book

Thanks David for taking the time to post this. I'll update mine once the update becomes available via Windows Update.

Do you have an idea on how much space did this version of Windows reserve?

Thanks 🙂

Highlighted
davidbenton
802.11n
Views: 412
Message 3 of 14

To be honest - no.

But ..... I had about 31-33Gb free before the update and 23Gb free afterwards. There may well have been files left on the systems (I've updated three 64Gb devices) from previous updates and of course there will be the stuff in the Windows.old folder etc. (which I haven't deleted yet).The press I've read suggested that Windows would set aside approx. 7Gb to give space to allow future updates (I think that means cumulative updates rather than the bi-annuals) run better. Seems a lot to me, but there'y'go.

Part of the reason I posted was because I can see people getting caught out in the coming months when the update arrives and start complaining! Hopefully some of them may see this and be better prepared. Personally on any device like the Book I'd use an SD card as a data drive, but I don't like using the User folders anyway.

Post update things look much the same - in fact on the first one I did, I had to check in Settings to see it had really updated. I haven't see any problems on the Yoga Book at all, but there are things that I may not notice because I don't use features and some software that others would.

I guess if one has backed up data and been able to do a system image then it would be reasonably safe to clean out everything you can after the update to get a few gig back.

davidbenton
802.11n
Views: 387
Message 4 of 14

Just read somewhere that the reserved space will only be applied to fresh installs and new computers supplied with this version - so the space used up during an update should be recoverable. Apologies for not being quite right previously.

FarisJayyousi
802.11n
Views: 316
Message 5 of 14

It seems that Lenovo didn't test the Yoga Book Gen 1 AGAIN for this update. Here's a list of all the tested Lenovo devices:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht508488

davidbenton
802.11n
Views: 297
Message 6 of 14

I'm not totally convinced it's not just my imagination but I think the Yoga Book performs a little better with the new update. Browsing seems smoother now in particular.

(I have recently upgraded my broadband package though. However it was good enough before that and I don't think that alone would account for all the performance improvement I perceive.)

FarisJayyousi
802.11n
Views: 285
Message 7 of 14

I also read that start menu opening is now smoother because it uses its own process or something. Do you find it laggy? Let's say you're watching a YT video and you open the start menu while the video is playing, how smooth is that?

davidbenton
802.11n
Views: 271
Message 8 of 14

I'm not sure this is meaningful because it may depend on what browser you use and the video itself (and perhaps what else may have been run or may be running in the background).

But - I tried opening a youtube video in Vivaldi (the browser I normally use) and could open One Note from the start menu just fine. Closed One Note and opened calculator.  Tried scrolling through the menu as well. Started a different video and opened One Note again - all just fine - no glitches.

Can't say whether this is any different what what may have happened before because it's not something I'd usually do - if I'm watching a video I'm gonna watch the video!

FarisJayyousi
802.11n
Views: 258
Message 9 of 14

I actually meant the start menu opening animation itself. For some reason, opening start menu on my Yoga Book is laggy most of the times, especially if I'm browsing the internet or having an app running in the background.

I am hoping this will be fixed in 1903. I hate to be forced to disable the animation in Windows 10.

davidbenton
802.11n
Views: 253
Message 10 of 14

Sorry - don't know what you mean then.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors