Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Yoga Book CommunityYoga Book (Windows)
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

04-24-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 1 of 5

Need older BIOS

2018-04-24, 23:36 PM

SO my daughter, not knowing any better, let the Lenovo utility update her BIOS.  Seemed harmless enough.  But the new BIOS has triggered a "change" to the BitLocker encryption and now we can no longer use the password but *require* the 64 char recovery key.  We dont have the recovery key.  Looking around it appears that *IF* you can restore the original version of BIOS then BitLocker quits its stupidity and lets you login with the password again.  I assume it is a longshot, but there are some dear picture my daughter has on this thing from a missions trip she took and we'd really like to get them back.  I am highly technical and understand how to convert an ISO to a disk image file and DD that to a USB stick for offline boot.  What I need are the possible BIOS files from 2015-ish.  Can anyone tell me where to get these for a ...

YOGA type 20DL??

P.s. I can find a lot of BIOS files for a lot of Lenovo systems.  Just not the system I have.

-M 

Options

3 Posts

04-24-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Need older BIOS

2018-04-25, 2:30 AM

I found some older Yoga BIOS versions.  I got one installed.  Didn't help.  Now the others are saying the laptop is not the correct model.  Honestly, I think it is hopeless. 

And I am really PISSED at Lenovo.  Why would you update a BIOS that had BitLocker enabled without some warning?  I simply could have decrypted the drive before the update and I would get 20 hours of my life back and my daughters pictures.  Crazy. 

-M 

Options

312 Posts

11-19-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1897 Signins

9880 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 9880
  • Message 3 of 5

2018-04-25, 7:39 AM

I think that if you install an older bios you may still need a bitlocker key. You should be able to get this by accessing the Microsoft account used on the Yoga Book. Once done you can disable bitlocker if you wish or make backups of the key for future use if needed.

Try this link and sign into the account (I can't check exactly the procedure because I'm already logged in so it goes immediately to the keys for my devices).

https://onedrive.live.com/recoverykey

or:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026181/windows-10-find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key

Options

312 Posts

11-19-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1897 Signins

9880 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 9880
  • Message 4 of 5

2018-04-25, 7:45 AM

My finger slipped and I accidently posted before I had finished.

Bitlocker comes as part of Windows Pro (and other versions, but not Home) - it's not a Lenovo thing.

Options

457 Posts

06-07-2017

Palestine, State of

1226 Signins

7220 Page Views

• Views: 7220
  • Message 5 of 5

2018-04-25, 13:54 PM

BitLocker is a Windows 10 Pro feature that encrypts your hard disk drive for more security. As David said earlier, you need to get your BitLocker password to unlock your device and continue to Windows. 

For the future, make sure that you write yor BitLocker password down or disable BitLocker if you see no use for this feature.

Good luck ?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms