Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rlyoung
Paper Tape
Views: 2,066
Message 1 of 12

Next Yoga Book refresh?

I'm interested in the Yoga Book with Windows but find myself waiting for the next refresh, which might include an additional port or two, and who knows what else.  Any idea when any changes beyond it's present state might happen? I don't know if Lenovo has predictable cycles in this regard.  Thanks. (October 2017)

FarisJayyousi
802.11n
Views: 1,998
Message 2 of 12

Re: Next Yoga Book refresh?

Lenovo has recently added new colors for the Yoga Book as well as a 128GB storage option. As far as I know, there is no upcoming Yoga Book 2nd gen or something like this. The current Yoga Book Windows version is so worth it for the money you pay. 

Here's a tip, don't think of it as a main computer or a powerful laptop. It is meant to be a secondary device and that is what it's good for. 

If you really like the device, buy it and you'll not regret it Smiley Happy

rlyoung
Paper Tape
Views: 1,902
Message 3 of 12

I don't know why I'm hesitating, but I am.  It's a lot to spend on my budget. There seem to be quite a few problems reported, but they may be no more than normal. I'm a little worried about Microsoft forcing a Windows 10 update that breaks something, and Microsoft and Lenovo then both shrugging their shoullders. My Thinkpad is rock solid, but the Yoga Book is so new, and with such unique features that I'm not confident that everything is, and will be, all worked out as it should be.  But it's so nice looking.

FarisJayyousi
802.11n
Views: 1,890
Message 4 of 12

Want my advice? Don't update something that is working just fine.

I am one of the Yoga Book owners who have never updated any drivers except the display driver. I don't like to put my device through danger of breaking it.

As for the latest Fall creators update 1709, it is totally safe to update to it. I like my device this way than how it was before the update.

Have some courage and go for the purchase. You won't regret it.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

rlyoung
Paper Tape
Views: 1,880
Message 5 of 12

Re declining to update if everything is working fine, I thought Windows 10 forced updates on you, even if you turn off update related services? Then there are the non-driver security updates which one would normally not decline in any case.

FarisJayyousi
802.11n
Views: 1,874
Message 6 of 12

Windows updates are fine as long as they are supported by Lenovo and listed as compatible with the device. Meaning that Lenovo tests the device running the update in its beta stages.

What I am talking about are drivers updates and BIOS update.

That is my opinion. Smiley Happy

rlyoung
Paper Tape
Views: 1,871
Message 7 of 12

Thanks. But how do I know if the Windows  updates--which can be substantial, and just a monthly 'blob'--are compatible with a particular device?  The Windows update procedure just says 'here they are', without any indication that Lenovo (or anybody) has vetted them as compatible with a given machine. Where are there updates listed as supported by Lenovo? I know about the Lonovo updating service, but I don't recall seeing the general Windows OS updates shown there.

FarisJayyousi
802.11n
Views: 1,869
Message 8 of 12

Before every major Windows 10 update, Lenovo posts a list of all the compatible devices that has been tested to work fine with the update.

Below are two links that contain the lists of devices that are tested to work with Windows 10 builds 1703 and 1709.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht505322

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht503655

So, before every major update, you should check if your device is tested to be working fine with the update. Always backup your system before doing the update in case of anything. Also, there's always a 'reroll back to previous windows version' option in case you experience problems with the update.

Hope that helps. Smiley Happy

Faris

rlyoung
Paper Tape
Views: 1,865
Message 9 of 12

Excellent! Never knew such a site was there.  However, you seem to be saying that one has the choice to not download a Microsoft  update if one's device is not on the 'tested' list for that update.  Am I wrong in thinking that one no longer has such choices with Windows 10?

FarisJayyousi
802.11n
Views: 1,863
Message 10 of 12

Well honestly I'm not 100% certain about that. I know that you can completely disable Windows 10 from automatic update by searching for services.msc in your system and then scroll down until you see 'windows update'. Double click on that and change startup type to "disabled". 

That will block windows 10 from performing any kind of self automatic update.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals