cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
catjolly
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,778
Message 1 of 30

YOGA BOOK DISK SPEED, LENOVO NEEDS TO UPDATE FIRMWARE.

We need to rattle the cage it seems my fellow YOGA BOOK enthusiests.

The lack of update to the firmware for the YOGA BOOK Z15 and Z16 on the EMMC attached storage is killing our performance. This CAN be fixed. We should be getting about 2x the disk performance.

Currently we are running under 0.7 firmware for this samsung CJNB4R drive. 1.0 firmware is released for integration into channel partners such as lenovo. Samsung and Acer are running 1.0 firmware on their x5 atom based cherry trail boards. Yes on emmc.

PLEASE UPDATE THIS FIRMWARE LENOVO. IT WILL DRASTICALLY IMPROVE PERFORMANCE!

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/6149951 < this is a yoga book system. Please note the 0% benchmark score for this attached storage on my yogabook.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/211907/Samsung-CJNB4R < this is the drives performance and clearly highlights the amazing performace differences between the 0.7 and 1.0 firmware.

My current score is:        108 <- sequential      14.9 <-random 4k      16.6 <- deep que 4K

This is FAR WORSE then the other benchmarks on 1.0 firmware drives.

We should be getting:    204 <- sequential     25 <-random 4k     43 <- deep que 4K

I have very poor feedback on the availibility and frequency of updates provided for the YOGA BOOK. I feel that we have been abandoned by Lenovo with this device. That is a real turn-off from the entire brand and poor customer service.

As well Lenovo Service bridge does not work with this device. The packaging for updates is NOT USER FRIENDLY.

So LENOVO, do you care about your customers?

Highlighted
FarisJayyousi
802.11n
Views: 3,705
Message 2 of 30

Re: YOGA BOOK DISK SPEED, LENOVO NEEDS TO UPDATE FIRMWARE.

I have very poor feedback on the availibility and frequency of updates provided for the YOGA BOOK. I feel that we have been abandoned by Lenovo with this device. That is a real turn-off from the entire brand and poor customer service.

That is the truth. I feel that Lenovo decided to stop caring about a device so unique as the Yoga Book. The fact that we have to download and install driver updates manually makes me think that they just don't care. Both Lenovo system update and Lenovo companion app don't support the Yoga Book STILL.

If you do care Lenovo, prove it, respond to this thread and give us an official response about updating the firmware. 🙂

lyniv
Paper Tape
Views: 3,579
Message 3 of 30

@catjolly wrote:

As well Lenovo Service bridge does not work with this device. The packaging for updates is NOT USER FRIENDLY.

Thats what me hurts the most. I'm an Apple guy, no matter what device. The moment i saw the Lenovo Yoga Book, i felt in love. The built quality, its size, the halo keyboard/wacom digitizer, well built screen with good pixel density.

But then, i reset the device as i only got 38GB storage left (was more than 45GB after doing this), and was left alone with finding drivers/make the device work as intended again.

I'm running Windows 10 Creatores Update and neither Lenovo Service Bridge, nor the Lenovo Companion seem to work. If the Lenovo Tools won't fix my device, how i'm supposed to do so? And thats where the quote comes in:

I found Lenovo to be mid-premium, but lack of Software/Driver packaging is killing it for me. After all, its not about asthetics only.

(if someone might help me to get my keyboard vibration/sound and all drivers working again, please: help me!)

catjolly
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,308
Message 4 of 30

This is not acceptable. LENOVO NEEDS TO PAY ATTENTION! I am bashing this company for its lack of update to an identified and rectifiable issue. They could care less about the end user and that is pathetic for a company that sells products. The old LENOVO is dead, this reincarnation of the company could care less about the end user it seems.

DoktoroKiu
Paper Tape
Views: 3,050
Message 5 of 30

I don't want to jump onto the hate train, but it would be nice to be getting the best performance possible out of this great little device.  If support is waning then at least the magnitude of the improvement offered by this driver could be an exception?  It would be nice to hear from support about this.

It would be sad to see such an innovative product lose support and alienate those who would be first to purchase the next incarnation (and I hope there is absolutely another incarnation).

catjolly
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,047
Message 6 of 30

I realize this may come off as hate, but it is more fact peppered with strong distain. The old lenovo released drivers for years, they built loyalty even past the 1 year mark of a products life. That is a true measure of brands I am loyal to with hardware. Considering I have spent between work and personal 80K on hardware already this year, I can promise you one name that is getting none of that business at this point. I cant have products fail to perform because a company refuses to issue a firmware update.

The manner of the updates for the yoga book is also sub-par. We deserve better @lenovo.

DoktoroKiu
Paper Tape
Views: 3,027
Message 7 of 30

I won't pretend to know how their business has changed, but I would be interested to know if this device is particularly bad, or if all tablet devices have less support than their business-focused counterparts.  I've only ever had Lenovo laptops at work, and my biggest complaint would be about docking station weirdness (and the Ctrl key placement).  I don't have to support them for an organization, though, and it sounds like you've got more troubles besides a tablet emmc driver.

Hopdefully Lenovo wakes up and realizes the effect that this minor detail on one of their many products can affect their bottom line more than they realize.

DoktoroKiu
Paper Tape
Views: 2,983
Message 8 of 30

I was so surprised that I just had to post this.  When in the console (at least in the WSL terminal) the keyboard registers the Fn key as a Ctrl when you use it in a chord.  This isn't present on my P50 at work, so either this is a yoga book specific treat or it was added for a later windows build.  (it could be only turned on if you haven't remapped the keys, too).

That doesn't fix my issue in normal Windows apps, but I was not expecting that nice little detail at all.

I did some more thinking today, and I'm wondering how much of these issues are caused by today's rolling release methodology.  Everyone is always getting updates, and sooner or later there's going to be a new feature that doesn't jive with one of your drivers.

LightC
Punch Card
Views: 2,608
Message 9 of 30

I'm really upset by the lack of an updated firmware as well. What else can we do to rattle the cage a bit? This lack of support is unacceptable. 

This should be an easy patch.

fneves
Paper Tape
Views: 2,535
Message 10 of 30

Please Lenovo!! Update the firmware on Yoga Book SSD

Top Kudoed Authors