Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnLil
Paper Tape
Views: 795
Message 1 of 9

YOGA BOOK ZA15- what am I doing wrong?

So here's my challenge, I am by nature an early adopter and when the Yoga Book launched I was able to buy one, at launch only the Windows 10 version was available and this is what I have.

There are a few niggling issues, no problem I thought a quick update to drivers/firmware and the OS and I'll be sorted, here I am with only 190 days of warranty remaining and I still have no idea whether my device is up to date or indeed working as advertised. Any help in resolving these issues would be appreciated;

1. No way of getting auto updated drivers, I've tried Service Bridge, which says it's installed and running, but every time I go into the downloads section of the support site, it prompts me to download again. It should download automatically but does not, clicking on the link to manually force the download does nothing. I've also tried the System Update on upport site, this goes to 10% and stops, after an hour or so it then fails. I've also tried System Update 5, that laso fails with an error downloading packages, I've even tried the companion app from the Windows store which only tells me when there are OS updates

2. The drivers section that you can manually download on the support site, there is no indication what each driver does and which device it is relevant to

3. Windows is no asking me to install Lenovo Ltd. driver update for Lenovo Yeti Windows System Firmware 00.31.00.16 and that a seperate install window should open, it doesn't nor is this driver update available on the website.

4. I have repeatedly downloaded and installed an app called Paper from the support site, each time this opens and closes with no other user interface, the results in the inf file are =0. What is this and what does it do.

I was happy to wait whikst they sorted out such an innovative device but frankly, I'm struggling to keep the faith.

Guru
Views: 676
Message 2 of 9

Re: YOGA BOOK ZA15- what am I doing wrong?

You can try Lenovo Companion to update drivers. Also, Windows update will typically install the drivers for you. If you'd like to update manually, there should be a pull down section to choose which component driver you'd like to update. Sometimes, the drivers will install when you open the executable file, or it will detect that you already have the newest version. 

Unless there's an issue with the usage of the device, I suggest just letting Windows handle the updates, and if you'd like using Lenovo Companion. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

davidbenton
802.11n
Views: 661
Message 3 of 9

on point 1 and 2:

I would suggest just letting Windows deal with driver updates. It's discussed elsewhere but the Lenovo services others have tried to use don't work. I looked up what they mentioned on the Lenovo Support site and it was targeted at Think Vantage machines -  not the Yoga Book. I have found just leaving well alone the best policy personally.

The only exception to this is the Wacom Feel driver (google it, it's easy to find). This will give access to a sensitivity setting for the pen which you may find useful. I do. (Quite why Lenovo don't include it by default or even suggest people install in the user manual seems odd to me.)

point 3:

I can't say anything useful on this. I know I have the file downloaded somewhere so it is available. But I can't recall what I did with it, if anything.

I suppose you might need to run it with admin permissions?

point 4:

If you check services running you may well see Lenovo Paper is there and running. As far as I can tell all it does is manage the box that pops up to open One Note when you switch to the drawing pad. I tried uninstalling or stopping it (again I can't recall exactly) but there was no great advantage and when it reinstalled or restarted (after an update I guess) I stopped bothering.

Guru
Views: 648
Message 4 of 9

Yep, a rule of thumb is to not worry about drivers if the PC is running fine. Windows does a pretty good job dealing with that behind the scenes. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

davidbenton
802.11n
Views: 624
Message 5 of 9

You could try updating the firmware through the device manager. It's the second item in the firmware category (on my Yoga Book). Right-click (or double click) for properties and update driver.

(Apologies if you've already tried this.)

JohnLil
Paper Tape
Views: 516
Message 6 of 9

Thanks and indeed I was forced to look for updated drivers as the device was not running fine e.g. erratic Halo keypresses, sleep issues etc etc. all of which have been reported elswhere on this forum. Windows Update does such a good job? Well the latest update has left me with a device that upon boot presents the Lenovo boot screen then pops a Install Windows message box stating that the install could not be completed and to restart the installation. Press the OK button just repeats the process. So now I have a completely useless device
JohnLil
Paper Tape
Views: 515
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for the honest answers, now I think I understand Paper. Leaving well alone on the update front has no resulted in a completely non functioning machine.......
JohnLil
Paper Tape
Message 8 of 9

Tried Companion as mention in OP. Does not notify of driver/firmware updates only Windows updates which Windows Update itself does of course
JohnLil
Paper Tape
Message 9 of 9

That's exactly how I do do it, however I was hoping that Lenovo had something a little less 1980's given we are in 2017
Top Kudoed Authors