Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrXeno
Paper Tape
Views: 487
Message 1 of 3

Yoga 2 11, Trying to Find 5mm SSD

Last night, I noticed that the HDD in my Yoga 2 11 (Yes, it’s old, I know)  had started making these funny noises. Every few minutes, it would make a noise that was loud enough to be heard without having to focus on it. I am worried that the HDD might fail sometime in the near future.

Before that happens, I would like to replace it with a new drive. Preferably, this new drive would be an SSD. The problem is, I can’t find even a single SSD that will fit. After opening up the laptop, I found that it uses a 5mm 2.5” HDD. I cannot for the life of me find an SSD that is only 5mm thick. Every single SSD I find is always 7mm.

Can anyone link me to a 500GB or higher capacity SSD that is 5mm thick? I would prefer that it be less than $100. Of course, if other solutions are available let me know as well. I already know about using an mSATA to SATA could work, but if I could get a confirmed to be working solution, that would be nice.

By the way, I already know how to transfer all my data and stuff, just need an SSD that fits. (Please don’t reccomend an SSHD, as those are mainly HDD, and are prone to the same problems as regular HDDs.)

Highlighted
davidbenton
802.11n
Views: 483
Message 2 of 3

Re: Yoga 2 11, Trying to Find 5mm SSD

If you're careful with it a 7mm SSD will fit (since there's no moving parts you can dispense with any foam etc, there's no vibration to suppress) - very slightly pushes up the top surface, but barely noticeable.

As you might have guessed I've done it myself. Had no issues resulting.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 477
Message 3 of 3

Re: Yoga 2 11, Trying to Find 5mm SSD

Samsung makes a 500GB and 1TB 5mm SATA 2.5" SSD that should fit.

SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series mSATA 500GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) AA083935    ($98.08)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147686

SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series mSATA 1TB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-M6E1T0BW  ($167.99)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820147687

Cheers,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals