Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
alex_60
Fanfold Paper
Views: 928
Message 1 of 5

Yoga Book Very bad LTE speed

I am facing very bad speed using the LTE moden on my Yoga Book. I have been comparing the same SIM card between the Yoga Book, the Thinkapd 8 tabled and a mobile LTE-router. The speed I measured on the thinkpad 8 and the mobile LTE-router is about 60Mbps down and 30 Mbps up, on the Yoga Book I only get 7 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. As I said the test is doen having all the three equipment the same place side to side. Also the Yoga Book measures the same high speed 60/30 if I connect via Wi-Fi to the obile router (so it is not the machine or windows being slow) it is obviously an issue with the LTE modem.

So my question is: Did anybody else experience the same issues, and did you find a solution?

Additionally I also obeserved that having the TP8 and the Yoga book at the same spot - about 10 meters away from the wi-fi router straight air no walls, no microowens - using a 5G wi-fi connection the TP8 shows 4 out of 5 bars while the Yoga Book shows 1 out of 5! This makes me wonder if the Yoga Book has in general an antenna issue - maybe due to the metallic body - or is just mine who needs ot be sent back to Lenovo?

Any sharing if your experience with those issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

bobdonkey
Token Ring
Views: 883
Message 2 of 5

Re: Yoga Book Very bad LTE speed

Hi, what drivers is it using, and what is the device listed as in device manager (under network adapters)?

What provides the drivers, Microsoft? I don't see any on the Lenovo site.

alex_60
Fanfold Paper
Views: 877
Message 3 of 5

The device is listed as "CDC MBIM". The driver version is 10.0.15063.608 released by Microsoft (I guess it is the generic driver included in WIndows 10).

I did test it also very close to a tower so I had 5 bars of signal strenght. Here I got 20/2Mbps that is a little better, but in the same spot the TP8 (with same SIM) measured 80/10. SO that seem to confirm that the Yoga Book has both an antenna issue and that even with strong signal it perfoms very bad compared to the TP8 (modem/driver issue).

Brg.

bobdonkey
Token Ring
Views: 865
Message 4 of 5

Well either could be dodgy drivers, or simply all the card is capable of. I dont know how you would get the exact specifications of the LTE chip, the drivers are provided by Microsoft so you might just have to wait for an update.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/mb-interface-model

Or try and find a utility which will tell you exactly what the LTE chip name is.

alex_60
Fanfold Paper
Views: 862
Message 5 of 5

OK not sure of it helps, but this is what I get about what modem is in use:

Name : Cellular
Description : CDC MBIM
State : Connected
Device type : Mobile Broadband device is embedded in the system
Cellular class : GSM
Device Id : 86971402011xxxx
Manufacturer : Intel Corp.
Model : CDC MBIM
Firmware Version : BLADE7260_MBIM_ES3_01.1625.00
Provider Name : DNKTD
Roaming : Not roaming
Signal : 74%
RSSI / RSCP : 23 (-67 dBm)

Anyway, I was also hoping that someother people in this forum with an LTE version of the YogaBook, could perhaps do a SpeedTest.net measurement over LTE and report back what speeds do they get. As you say, maybe that's all what this hardware can.

Brg.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals