Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Yoga Book CommunityYoga Book (Windows)
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

10-26-2016

Germany

10 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 11 of 18

Re: Yoga Book Windows vs Yoga Book Android ?

2016-10-26, 14:10 PM

sorry, made double post

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Views: 67362
  • Message 12 of 18

2016-10-26, 14:45 PM

wrote:

Hi there

The Windows model comes only in black.You'll get more options for desktop software in the Windows version, but it lacks some of the Android model's best hardware features. That is, it doesn't support stylus input on the screen and doesn't digitize your notes with the display off. On the bright side, the Windows version's touchpad supports two-finger scrolling. If you want the model that feels most tailored to the Yoga Book's strengths, you should opt for the Android version.

Have found this in some review. Is it remains the same that Androind version has more features vs Win ?

Which review was this? Because it's certainly wrong in asserting that stylus input isn't supported on the screen in the Windows version. Lenovo's AnyPen technology is supported in Windows. 

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

1268 Posts

12-05-2014

Germany

1308 Signins

21591 Page Views

• Views: 21591
  • Message 13 of 18

2016-10-27, 14:55 PM

My take on the difference between YB Windows and YB Android:

• 100% the same hardware (only different colors, windows only comes in black, android in all colors)
  • the retail prices seem different to those announced and the price difference is around 50 euro
  • they are selling (a) wi-fi only model & (b) model with mobile internet at different prices too

Regarding the personal subjective choice between Android and Windows. In my view, the YB will not replace your Windows 10 notebook as the main device if you are really using a computer a lot (especially if you have a Thinkpad Yoga like I do).

Thus, for those who were looking to buy an Android tablet anyway, the YB is an obvious choice for the main high-end Android Tablet. The Windows version is also good, but I doubt it will become the number 1 windows 10 device you will use.

What I am still wondering is how good it would work if I would connect it to the monitor via the HDMI slot and use blue tooth keyboard and mouse. In that case, it might actually work reasonably well as the main PC and on-the-go windows tablet.

Finally, there is also the question of tablet apps. Does Windows 10 have all the tablet apps you expect from a tablet? You might find that some apps are only in Android. For me, the drawback of the Android version is that you won't get full MS Office.

Another thing is turning handwriting to text as windows is obviously better at that. In the Android version, when I want to turn handwriting to text, I need to synchronize the OneNote for Android with OneNote in my notebook and do it in windows.

P.S. In the YB Android version, when I go to a website it defaults to the table/mobile version of the website. Will the YB Windows version also do that? The YB almost feels like a computer, not a tablet, so sometimes, I would prefer no-table browsing.

If the answer is interesting press the star below to give Kudos.

If your question is answered you can click ''accept as solution".

Options

1 Posts

11-23-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

39 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 39
  • Message 14 of 18

2016-11-23, 21:48 PM

Useful info/insight Pat, Thought I'd tag my question on here instead of creating a new thread.

I am having a struggle deciding if I want to go for a windows or android yogabook, my main thoughts can be boilded down to:

Windows

+ more of a 'computing' experince

+ Better/continued support

- Hardware probably chugs under load

Android

+ Better eco-system for apps

+ Better performance during use

- Limited support/updates (Assuming Lenovo behave like most OEM's and you're lucky to get 18 months of prompt updates

- Android on a large tablet - is it good at this screen size, I can live with 'stretched' apps at around 7 inches but is a 10 inch screen essentially wasted on Android 6?

Essentially it comes down to if I want a windows based machine for 'computing' is this going to be good enough or should I spend an extra £50 and get a surface pro 4 (m3) (or just get a lenovo laptop). Or if I want to use this as a tablet am I going to enjoy the android experience on a 10 inch screen?

-Cyphnar

Also, first post... greetings!

Options

1268 Posts

12-05-2014

Germany

1308 Signins

21591 Page Views

• Views: 21591
  • Message 15 of 18

2016-11-23, 23:54 PM

Everything you said is true. It is a difficult choice. The reason why I went for the Android version myself, is that I already have a Windows ultrabook so I did not want to have two of the same devices with the same operating system. Doing the same thing. e.g. I prefer doing e-mails on the ultrabook and playing games like chess on the tablet.However, with the continued support of Windows 10 it is true that it will get updated forever until the hardware lasts, I guess. Or unless they make Windows 11. If you do not have a notebook and Yoga Book will be your only device, the MS Windows version is worth considering. I was traveling with the Yoga Book Android version and could do my e-mails, browsing, quite easily. Android is better suited for touchscreen usage, while Windows is better suited for notebook usage. I did not have any issues with the screen size - why would screen size affect the browsing experience in Chrome, or playing a chess game, or watching videos? There's not any issue with it. I think at this price this device is much thinner than and lighter than any ultrabook at double the price. When I carry it around, I don't even notice having it. It's about the same weight as a 500ml bottle of water. It can also be connected to the Screen with HDMI and use Bluetooth mouse or keyboard. I don't have the Windows version, so I don't know how good it is, but the reviews online could probably tell. I have the android version and I did a review of the android version here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Community-Spotlight/Review-Yoga-Book-Android-Version/ba-p/3485432

Note the hardware is the same, so my impression of the display, the compact factor, the typing experience will be also true for windows. On the other hand the touchpad will probably work better in Windows, but not sure. I got around 6 hours on screen time with the Yoga Book Android that is like 2 days on full charge. I expect it might a bit lower with the Windows due to it being a more demanding system, but I did not test so can't tell for sure. The Windows version seem to sell only in carbon black, while the android version has carbon black, champagne gold, and gunmetal gray. 

If the answer is interesting press the star below to give Kudos.

If your question is answered you can click ''accept as solution".

Options

14 Posts

11-19-2016

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

26 Signins

169 Page Views

• Views: 169
  • Message 16 of 18

2016-11-24, 3:24 AM

I chose windows (home) because I want it for light work and browsing, maybe comics when travelling. My surface book is nice, great screen, but heavy, and tablet mode means that you cant get at your sd card

Options

2 Posts

01-18-2017

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

4 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 17 of 18

2017-01-18, 10:27 AM

The Windows Version is running Windows 10 Pro. It doesnt explain the full price difference for me but whatever.

Options

1 Posts

03-23-2017

India

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 18 of 18

2017-03-23, 18:17 PM

So which one did u pick??

. I am planning to buy YB WIN. But

1. If both Android and win versions have same configuration, can't we format and switch Windows to Android??

2. Can windows version run Microsoft office tools at its best, like excel macros, mail merge etc easily

3. Do they both(win and android) have sim slot with 4g connectivity 

Can some one help

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms