Russian Federation

20 Signins

225 Page Views

• Views: 225
  • Message 1 of 4

Yoga Book YB1-91L USB port problem, new data and asking for some help

2020-09-14, 11:46 AM

Hello everybody.

I tried several new tricks with USB port settings and checked some parameters. Read some articles about Error 43 problem.

First, I changed settings in power manager( disabled fast startup, disabled power down for USB devices in additional settings). No luck.Error 43.

Second, I checked USB output voltage. Take OTG cord, removed some isolation and solder wires to red and black , so I have 5,05 volts output from micro USB without  flash drive and 5,02 volts with

flash drive .If I plug in external HDD, which connected to YogaBook sometimes, I have 4,98 volts.

Next, I checked pins 4 and 5 connection in micro USB port ( if connection not present, windows cant identify external device). When doctored OTG cable is inserted in micro USB port, black were(4) and

shield (5) got connected ( my multimeter shows so). So internal link between pins 4 and 5  is not broken.

So I am out of options for now. Service centre refuses dismantle book for testing without written agreement ( back cover can be damaged , is quite expensive and can be ordered from Moscow only ( 

10 000 km from my Vladivostok.)

Now I explore software option.

Please, can somebody answer some questions:

1. After restore I have only one power plan (Balanced) with only several optional settings for buttons, screen and battery. Use registry editor to restore full settings ,ie HDD,USB and so on. Is that the case with your laptop?
  2. Device manager. 3 USB devices and two of them shows USB 3.0 (USB root hub 3.0, USB host controller Intel(R) 3.0-1.0 (microsoft). Data shows that YogaBook have USB 2.0 interface, so why a 3.0? Did you have the same in Device manager?
Options

457 Posts

06-07-2017

Palestine, State of

1226 Signins

7220 Page Views

• Views: 7220
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Yoga Book YB1-91L USB port problem, new data and asking for some help

2020-09-14, 16:53 PM

1. After restore I have only one power plan (Balanced) with only several optional settings for buttons, screen and battery. Use registry editor to restore full settings ,ie HDD,USB and so on. Is that the case with your laptop?

Yes that has always been the case with the Yoga Book. There is only one power plan (Balanced) with a slider that allows you to change the performance/battery life. In advanced battery settings, only some settings can be adjusted, and rest are just hidden by default.

2. Device manager. 3 USB devices and two of them shows USB 3.0 (USB root hub 3.0, USB host controller Intel(R) 3.0-1.0 (microsoft). Data shows that YogaBook have USB 2.0 interface, so why a 3.0? Did you have the same in Device manager?

This is what I have in Device Manager on my Yoga Book regarding the USB devices.

Options

20 Posts

12-01-2019

Russian Federation

20 Signins

225 Page Views

• Views: 225
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-09-15, 9:52 AM

Thank you! 

Options

298 Posts

11-19-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1883 Signins

9805 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 9805
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-09-19, 11:40 AM

I posted recently here about this on another thread - USB  2 specification has limits to power output. Using an external HDD with USB 2 connections will always fail (or be very unreliable) . There is a work around  by taking power from two USB ports but that can't work on the Yoga Book. We've got so used to USB 3 that we sometimes forget the old limitations.

There could be various reasons why a USB 3 hub may show up in the Device Manager. Lenovo may have used a USB 3 chip because it was needed for other internal components. Perhaps it was simply easier or cheaper to use one even if only USB 2 and 1 were actually used. Perhaps the only suitable chips they could buy in had USB 3 capability included. There could be other reasons, I don't know.

I seem to recall reading that Lenovo considered using a USB 3 connector but it wouldn't fit without making the chassis deeper, which they didn't want to do. (I think this came from a rep talking to a journalist at a trade fair.) I suspect there may have been heat and battery drain issues in the equation as well, but that is just a guess.

I believe there is a registry hack that can enable the other power settings options, that's a general Windows question. But this won't change the fact that a USB 2 connection won't run an external HDD. And messing about with the power settings could end up making the device more prone to heat issues.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms