12-19-2019

US

6 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 1 of 9

Yoga Book YB1-X91F Can't find UEFI partition

2019-12-19, 23:38 PM

My Yoga Book YB1-X91F gives me the "Do Not Found UEFI Partion!" error on boot.

Things I've tried:
1)Windows startup repair

2)I tried using both a stock Windows recovery image and modifying one to use for the Yoga Book specifically (Followed guides on here, and on XDA forums)

3)Tried a clean install with both Windows usb recovery tools

4)I tried using EaseUS Partition Master Pro to try to recover the partition.

5) Calling Lenovo tech support

Results:
1)Windows startup repair errored out.  Couldn't detect a windows installation.
2&3) Neither one could find a partition to install too. No drive/partition shows up.
4) No partition shows up

5) They told me go to my Local Best Buy right away because something serious might be wrong with my device. Then Best Buy Geek Squad says they don't and won't touch Lenovo products or tablets at all. Helpful.

Problem started with Windows update failing, and I thoguht it did just corrupt the MBR during the update. Now I think maybe during windows update the drive gasped it's last breath and that's why windows update failed. No response from my drive at all.

I assume I need a new hard drive. I assume it's an M2. I welcome any other solutions or even information on if there is an M2 in my tablet and teardown instuctions. I did try the apply pressure to the 1/2/3 numbers area and that didn't work either. I think my drive has just catastrophically failed.

Thanks in advance for suggestions/help.

Options

454 Posts

06-07-2017

PS

1225 Signins

7195 Page Views

• Views: 7195
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Yoga Book YB1-X91F Can't find UEFI partition

2019-12-20, 4:24 AM

So Lenovo Tech Support told you to get help from Best Buy Geek Squad? If your problem is a hardware problem, only Lenovo can help and replace whatever is faulty. Is your device still under warranty? 

Options

292 Posts

11-19-2016

GB

1877 Signins

9780 Page Views

• Views: 9780
  • Message 3 of 9

2019-12-20, 12:49 PM

Sounds to me like you've managed to wipe the partition table. The installed OS (and the uefi data) might still be there but there's no partition table to tell the computer where things are.

In the distant past I have used  software called Test Disk to recover this situation, but it is not easy to use unless you know what you're doing and may be impossible on the Yoga Book without a USB keyboard attached.  It would tell what partitions have been on the hard drive and you can recreate the partition table with the ones you want. However you might have to guess which they are if there have been different partition setups on the drive.

You should be able to do a clean reinstall using an installation disk (not recovery media), but again this might be tricky because of the keyboard issue. (I haven't tried doing it on a Yoga Book myself.) You would also need to have the support software and drivers to hand ready for installation and be careful about the order in which that stuff is installed. This can be done completely re-partitioning the hard drive - and will wipe all old info on it. Recovery will only work with what it can find on the hard drive.

(It might help if you can boot whatever you use from an sd card, which would leave the USB port free for a keyboard to be attached, but I haven't tried that so I don't know if it works.)

The method linked to above I believe does work - but I confess I'm not convinced it's the best way to do it it seems too complicated to me. 

Options

5 Posts

12-19-2019

US

6 Signins

54 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2019-12-20, 16:42 PM

Not under warranty, Lenovo tech support said they don't do Yoga Books and I have a serious hardware failure and to go to my local Best Buy...

Options

5 Posts

12-19-2019

US

6 Signins

54 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2019-12-20, 16:47 PM
I did make a custom windows installation media with drivers for my yoga book.

I did also try Partition Manager/Master Pro to try and recover the partition.

I'll try test disk, but I can't get anything to register that there's a hard drive even in my yoga book.
Options

5 Posts

12-19-2019

US

6 Signins

54 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2019-12-20, 18:20 PM

Still no hard drive detected in:
Windows installation media
EaseUS Partition Manager
Hardware Detection Tool
HDD Scan
TEST Disk
BootICE
EasyBCD
Computer Management
AOEMI Partition Assistant
Acronis True Image
Lazersoft Partition Recovery
Lazersoft Windows Recovery
Runtime Recovery
Parted Magic

Using a Live WinPE, Device manager does see the disk controller, just not the drive. bcedit and bootrec can't find the drive obviously.

Options

4 Posts

02-16-2019

AU

10 Signins

132 Page Views

• Views: 132
  • Message 7 of 9

2019-12-28, 4:01 AM

I am having a similar issue although I can get into Windows by holding down the volume button in the plus position and then the power button for several seconds until the pen symbol lights up on the keyboard, which brings up the Boot Menu screen. I can click this menu and select Windows Boot Manager and then Windows will load.

I still haven't worked out how to fix the boot issue but at least I can still use my Yoga Book. Anybody know how to have the Yoga Book boot into a Windows recovery USB?

Options

3 Posts

09-06-2020

MX

2 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 8 of 9

Re:Yoga Book YB1-X91F Can't find UEFI partition

2020-09-06, 10:11 AM

same problem, any luck?

Options

1 Posts

10-10-2020

SS

9 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 9 of 9

Re:Yoga Book YB1-X91F Can't find UEFI partition

2020-10-16, 12:11 PM

I had the same problem and I just solve it with the help of EasyUEFI Enterprise 4.0 and Hiren's BootCD.iso (HBCD) 

Here are the details about how it works, first the requirements:

• Healthy computer with Intel R processor ( I used DELL Inspiron)
  • Two Flash Drives 8GB and 2GB
  • Two Micro SD Memory cards 4GB each
  • USB OTG
  • USB Hub
  • Micro SD Card Reader
  • EasyUEFI 4.0
  • HBCD
  • Rufus burning tool
  • Windows_10_Pro_x64.iso

Now the steps:

In the healthy computer:

1. Install EasyUEFI 4.0 and run it. and plug in one of the two SD Cards using the Card Reader
  2. Prepare bootable EasyUEFI 4.0 SD Card:     in EasyUEFI 4.0 click on Tools -> Create Bootable Disk and wait for the capsule to get full then check on USB and then click on Proceed and wait until it finish then eject the SD card and plug in the 2GB Flash Drive
  3. Back up the EFI partition:   in EasyUEFI 4.0  click on Manage EFI System Partition -> Backup EFI System Partition, check on the FAT32 partition, browse for the Flash drive and then click on Backup when its finish exit EasyUEFI and eject the flash drive
  4. Prepare bootable HBCD SD Card:     Plug in the other SD Card using the card reader, and use Rufus burning tool to burn the HBCD.iso into the SD Card
  5.  Prepare bootable Windows 10 Flash drive:  plug in the 8GB flash drive and use Rufus to burn the Windows 10 .iso into the flash drive

Now, in your yoga book:

1. insert the bootable EasyUEFI 4.0 SD Card into the memory card slot and boot the yoga book from it
  2. plug in the 2GB flash which have the Back the EFI partition in it
  3. in EasyUEFI 4.0 click on Manage EFI System Partition -> Restore EFI System Partition, browse the flash drive for the file, select the FAT32 partition in the yoga book and click on restore, when restore finish turn off, unplug the flash drive and remove the SD Card.
  4. insert the bootable HBCD SD Card in the memory card slot and boot the yoga book from it
  5. plug in the bootable Windows 10 Flash drive, go to windows explorer and double click the bootable Windows 10 Flash drive letter, double click on setup to start the Windows 10 Set up. and that's all.

Wish you all the best 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete