Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Yoga Book CommunityYoga Book (Windows)
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-11-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 11 of 15

Re: Yoga Book slow performance when charging

2018-04-11, 15:47 PM

Hey, I saw your thing about the processor throttling to 30%. When that happens does it also say it's only clocking as high as 0.48GHz? I had that same problem a few weeks after I got my Yoga Book. Drove me crazy for a month. It happened most often while watching video, whether Youtube, Netflix, locally, or even remoting into a machine and watching a movie through the remote TeamViewer connnection. 

I updated all drivers and the BIOS (which you can't navigate because the keyboard doesn't work until Windows is up, so BIOS settings are what they are), tried messing with Intel graphics settings, no help.

I don't know who to blame for this issue, it should at LEAST be able to go to base clock of 1.44GHz, but for whatever reason it defaults to 0.48GHz.

I eventually downloaded ThrottleStop. BE CAREFUL. You can irreparably damage things with this program. 

Set ThrottleStop to open every time you log in or boot. The permanent settings I use are:

Clock Modulation: Unchecked, but 100% if that matters

Set Multiplier: Checked, 30 T

SpeedStep: Checked

Do NOT mess with the Voltage ID. Keep it at 0.6850. You may be thinking, "Sure, I can turbo forever, but I can offset the battery drain from enabling turbo by undervolting the CPU." Yeah, no you can't. As soon as you mess with that, the Yoga Book will cease to function. And God help you if you changed this setting and managed to hit "Save" before your computer crashes. You now have a paperweight unless you can Safe Boot and disable ThrottleStop starting at boot. Keep that sucker maxed. 

Then click the TPL (Turbo Power Limits) button near the bottom right. A new window will come up. Under Package Power Limits:

Package Power Long: No boxes checked, 25 in the box

Package Power Short: No boxes checked, 25 in the box

Turbo Time Limit: MAXED. This is important.

Then leave all other settings alone.

Your battery life will suffer, but I'd rather a device that functions for 5.5 hours than a device that sputters for 10 hours. Be careful about overheating. If you see the CPU routinely reaching over 80 degrees Celsius, check the Disable Turbo checkbox. This thing ain't got no fans, so keeping it around or under 60 degrees Celsius will help you in the long run, even if the CPU can technically still operate at 90 degrees Celsius. 

Options

312 Posts

11-19-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1897 Signins

9880 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 9880
  • Message 12 of 15

2018-04-12, 7:08 AM

I certainly agree with comments suggesting not to use the Yoga Book on a soft surface ( like bedcovers etc.). Soft surfaces tend to cover the air vents and hold the heat. The Yoga Book dissipates it's heat through it's metal casing and soft surfaces tend to retain the heat where it is, not letting it escape.

Normally I always use laptops on a flat surface - I have plywood and perspex boards I keep for that purpose when I use a laptop while reclining on the sofa. However laptops usually have feet that keep some space for air flow beneath the laptop. For the Yoga Book that doesn't apply so you need to ensure there is some space for air flow. Wood will also retain heat rather than dissipate it in this circumstance.

So I would suggest that whatever you rest your Yoga Book on, give it some air space. Rubber or hard foam pads on a board to lift the Yoga Book off the surface perhaps. It may not be a total solution but it will help.

Options

38 Posts

07-30-2017

Austria

52 Signins

510 Page Views

• Views: 510
  • Message 13 of 15

2018-04-17, 17:25 PM
i have the same, sorry but your advices didnt work, i always put ice to make it cooler, ive heard that yb Android users didnt find the same Problem, thats why i really want lenovo to Help us dual booting with android
Options

457 Posts

06-07-2017

Palestine, State of

1226 Signins

7220 Page Views

• Views: 7220
  • Message 14 of 15

2018-08-08, 9:05 AM

wrote:

I often find that while charging the CPU speed is limited to no more than 30%, and this is what causes the slow performance and sluggish response.

I'm monitoring the temperature with the Core Temp app and the strange thing is that when this happens it's not like the temperature is maxed at 90deg or anything. Its normally between 55-65deg when charging (depending on my use at the time).

It doesn't seem normal.

I just realized that now. You are right. 5 minutes after plugging the Yoga Book to charge, the CPU speed gets around 0.40GHz and doesn't go any higher. In this state, the device is pretty much unusable.

Options

2 Posts

04-11-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 15 of 15

2018-08-08, 18:12 PM

See my reply above. You can kick it out of this if you download ThrottleStop and be careful using it. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms