Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Yoga Book CommunityYoga Book (Windows)
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

11-22-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

9 Signins

84 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 84
  • Message 1 of 9

Yoga book-Pen feature with screen off Android only?

2016-11-24, 15:41 PM

Hi,

I've ordered a W10 Yoga book and have read conflciting information about the screen-off note taking facility. 

Can anyone confirm for me if this feature is in any way available - I've seen some reviews say it is exclusive to the android version, and another mention that it does work, but that the "next page" option isn't available by clicking the pen symbol as per android ver.

Can I get a definitive answer on this please. It will be quite an oversight and somewhat disappointing if this key feature is missing from the more expensive version of the device!

Answer
Options

1268 Posts

12-05-2014

Germany

1308 Signins

21591 Page Views

• Views: 21591

Re: Yoga book-Pen feature with screen off Android only?

2016-11-26, 17:28 PM

The official Lenovo response to this topic is here: link and here: link.

If the answer is interesting press the star below to give Kudos.

If your question is answered you can click ''accept as solution".

Replies(8)
Answer
Options

1268 Posts

12-05-2014

Germany

1308 Signins

21591 Page Views

• Message 2 of 9

2016-11-26, 17:28 PM

The official Lenovo response to this topic is here: link and here: link.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

9 Posts

11-22-2016

9 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2016-11-26, 19:03 PM

*sigh* ok,  well thanks for the confirmation.  Between the dated USB interface,  Lte evaporating from the spec sheet,  and the lesser featured "premium" windows model it's looking likely this might be returned before it's even in my hands. Pitty that Lenovo decided to launch this beta product without really finishing it off; such potential. 

Options

1268 Posts

12-05-2014

Germany

1308 Signins

21591 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2016-11-26, 19:29 PM

I don't think it's a beta product. I only tested the Android version and it's amazing and nearly flawless. You can check out my review of the Android version here: link.

Regarding the Windows version, no other ultrabook is this thin, runs completely silently, and can be so light to carry around, or versatile to be used as a tablet or ultrabook. I might be wrong, but Android is designed to perform several tasks in sleep mode (monitoring calls, checking your e-mail, getting social networks messages, etc.). Windows 10 seem to just sleep during the sleep mode, which might the reason the Windows platform limitation that they can't take notes while the device is at sleep. There are advantages and disadvantages of both platforms, but the finishing of the Yoga Book seem very decent also considering that this is the first model of its kind.

In continental Europe we have the LTE version and non-LTE version for different prices, both are in the shops and I saw them even today. I would be surprised if in the UK they did not sell the LTE version.

Dated USB interface? You mean that they did not include USB-C? I agree that they probably shout have. The Yoga Book looks like from the future and it has the micro USB from the past. The thinking was probably that most their android phones have micro USB so users can use the came cables or something like that. Saves some money for those who have a lot of micro USB devices or cables, but from a personal perspective I would also prefer USB-C because it's way cooler and more user friendly.

Options

1118 Posts

12-06-2012

Netherlands

6371 Signins

67362 Page Views

• Views: 67362
  • Message 5 of 9

2016-11-27, 9:12 AM

wrote:

I might be wrong, but Android is designed to perform several tasks in sleep mode (monitoring calls, checking your e-mail, getting social networks messages, etc.). Windows 10 seem to just sleep during the sleep mode, which might the reason the Windows platform limitation that they can't take notes while the device is at sleep.

Pat, I'm afraid that you are wrong: the Connected Standby mode (now called InstantGo by Microsoft) is designed to allow Windows apps (but not traditional desktop applications) to continue working in the background. That should be the default mode of the Yoga Book, so that when the display is off, or the Book is closed, it will continue to monitor Skype call, emails and alarms etc.

Originally, in Windows 8, this was the only standby mode available, however, with Windows 10, Microsoft reintroduced the Hibernation mode alongside InstantGo. Now, when a device goes into InstantGo, it will further transition into full Hibernation after a period of time. The default period seems to be four hours. Personally, I find this irritating, since Alarms don't continue to run in Hibernation mode (obviously). And fours hours as the default means that I can't use a Windows 10 tablet as my alarm clock overnight. The period cannot be easily adjusted in Settings, but only via a Command line incantation.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Options

1268 Posts

12-05-2014

Germany

1308 Signins

21591 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2016-11-27, 10:06 AM

Very insightful. Still, it opens the question for notetaking with the screen off on the Windows version of the Yoga Book: First, if it could be done in InstaGo. Second, since the notetaking on the Windows version is done in OneNote even if it could be done then Microsoft would probably need to do it. The technical possibilities or limitations aside, Lenovo has confirmed it won't be possible in the Yoga Book Windows (at least for now).

On the bring side, taking notes in OneNote as the default app, is a good choice, it's obviously a fantastic app, and I like to use it. In the Android version, the NoteSaver is the default app, and while it has some advantages, you can't change the default app to OneNote or anything else. For me, the advantage of OneNote is that it will synchronize my notes taking in Android with OneNote in Windows which can then even turn it to text.

Options

9 Posts

11-22-2016

9 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2016-11-27, 10:25 AM

Interesting info. Thanks both for the replies.   I had no idea such things were baked into windows 10 "out of the box". 

Certainly implies that the create pad should be available,  we're the necessary hooks put in place for it. I guess time will tell whether or not this gets implemented.  Despite my criticisms and honest disappointment with some elements of the device,  I really hope it's successful as the sequel would almost certainly get some of the complaints of this iteration addressed.  With Intel killing off atom for the most part,  one would assume any future yoga book would make the jump to coreM. Were they to resolve the software niggles,  bump to a coreM,  and add USB-c I can see this device having far greater appeal,  even with the inevitable price hike that would come with Core processors. 

Lenovo is certainly putting a lot of marketing behind the device,  I wonder if we will get any indication of sales? 

Options

1268 Posts

12-05-2014

Germany

1308 Signins

21591 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2016-11-27, 12:38 PM

wrote:

With Intel killing off atom for the most part,  one would assume any future yoga book would make the jump to coreM. Were they to resolve the software niggles,  bump to a coreM,  and add USB-c I can see this device having far greater appeal,  even with the inevitable price hike that would come with Core processors. 

With regards to the processor, I am not an expert, just wanted to note that if implementing a better processor would mean thicker device, more heating, higher price, wider openings for ventilation, or even having a CPU fan, then I would not be much in favor of it. What I really like about the Yoga Book is that it is always quiet without a CPU fan, extremely light, and thin. That is the key advantage of the Yoga Book over my ultrabook. Compromising on any of the aspects and I would be better off taking my ultrabook with me, which is triple as expensive and five times more powerful.

Regarding USB-C, I completely agree. I mentioned it during the first public product launch to some of the product developers from China who were present and designed the product. They said at this moment the USB-C is not as widely used and many common users have micro-USB cables from older tablets or their Android phone so they did not feel like switching to USB-C would benefit the mass public at this very moment. In my view, this is a market leading innovation (such as the Moto Z modular phone) and they could have used USB-C but I understand the other point of view as well.

Options

4 Posts

12-19-2016

Germany

5 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 9 of 9

2016-12-19, 11:49 AM

Hi,

I posted a new topic today but saw this one. My question is for the Windows Yogabook users.

If you backflip the yogabook fully so that you have a mere "tablet" - does the create pad switch

off or would it be still possible to write notes (screen facing down and still on) on paper/or pad? -

the difference then just being that compared to Android the screen is not switched off.

thank you for your help in advance

:-)

Harald

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms