Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FarisJayyousi
802.11n
Views: 3,457
Message 1 of 6

Yoga book overheating

Guys I need serious help. My Yoga Book Windows is overheating.

Example: Device is on my desk, not charging, Youtube 720p only on browser and playing Microsoft Solitaire Collection along with the song on YT. The device overheats after somentime and the performance drops heavily. While charging the problem happens faster even if the device is idle.

Temperature in my place is around 32 celcius.

Is it a real problem? Smiley Sad

FarisJayyousi
802.11n
Views: 3,398
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga book overheating

*bump*
FarisJayyousi
802.11n
Views: 3,356
Message 3 of 6

Any help yet? Smiley Sad

jack860
802.11n
Views: 3,346
Message 4 of 6

Unfortunately there is not much you can do about it. Once the chip heats up this is the result. The best you can do is try to prevent the chip heating up.

If you are really tech inclined, you might want to open the tablet side and see whether there is any heatsink material on the processor. There are copper shims you can buy from Amazon or other thermal pads that would help. But you'd have to be willing to void your warranty and live with any consequences. Having the device painted in black certainly does not help. Is it plastic or metal?

I'd suggest reloading windows from the Windows 10 recovery tool on the Microsoft website rather than the Lenovo image which may have a lot of apps and services running in the background and causing extra strain on the chip.

You could also check the power management and lower the maximum processor or video performance. This will of course introduce a slow down, but it may not be as bad as the processor throttling itself which is what is happening.

Use only apps from the windows store and remove Chrome if you are using it.

If the tablet is metal, using it folded back would also have an impact. Since the heat radiating off the tablet frame will now encounter the frame of the keybaord, instead of radiating into the air. So the frame will not be able to cool the processor fast enough.

FarisJayyousi
802.11n
Views: 714
Message 5 of 6

@Simrahperalta wrote:

Have you tried any song writer software or any other heavy software due to which your Yoga book starts overheating.

A typical web browsing with a YouTube video playing in the background during summer will cause my Yoga Book to overheat and slow down to a point when it's unusable anymore.

I also noticed that placing the device on a wooden table will prevent it from overheating quickly as compared to when I put on the bed for example (which I find weird becase the Yoga Book has no air vents to get blocked or something).

Using the Yoga Book while charging will result into overheating very quickly, especially in hot weather.

jack860
802.11n
Views: 702
Message 6 of 6

When it is on the bed, the soft material of the bed molds around the tablet and fits close to the body. So there is no way for the body of the machine to cool. On the table, while the bottom is mostly covered as well there is still a lot more surface area that can be cooled, when compared to being on the bed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors