Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlexM82
Paper Tape
Views: 18,076
Message 11 of 50

Re: Yoga book with a different pen

Will the Galaxy Note 5 S-Pen work with Win10 or only with the Android Version?

The second pen you linked on amazon is for Windows, right? Its pretty hard to get as there are few retailers on Amazon Europe since it seems to be from the 2012 Samsung Slate PC 7.

May I ask what is your overall feeling about the YogaBook, since you obviously have been using it a lot. Do you feel its an advantage or a step backwards to mainly write / sketch on a seperate pad rather then directly on the screen?

Thanks a lot!

therealjawss
Blue Screen Again
Views: 18,070
Message 12 of 50

S-pen works with windows too.  I linked to the old one as that's the only one I have that has an eraser and I really like using it.

to be honest I don't use the real pen + paper feature as much as I thought though it is great that it actually works with my notebook, doesn't need to be the Lenovo pad though it's challenging to keep it in place. 

I rarely write on the screen as it isn't quite as sensitive as the 'create pad', which is pretty much like having a permanently attached Wacom tablet and to the screen. I have an X1 yoga and I find the yoga book pen being off screen actually more comfortable once you get used to it as the create pad is matte and the feel of the pen is better on that. 

The screen is anypen enabled so it's nice to have the option to interact with the touch screen with other conducting items for when wearing gloves for example. 

For typing though, I keep a Microsoft universal foldable keyboard handy for when I need to do some serious typing. I use the Dvorak layout so it's quite difficult for me to type on the touch keyboard  as  it's fixed to qwerty. 

I just love the size and weight, very portable and quite capable for the apps I use: mainly browsing, email, OneNote, bamboo paper, adobe sketchbook, nebo. 

One thing I find a bit limiting is the micro USB port being the only port, I need to carry around an otg cable to charge phone or connect storage devices. 

AlexM82
Paper Tape
Views: 18,060
Message 13 of 50

Thank you for your open answer.

Even though its a bit off-topic, but have you ever tried on a m-core tablet?

On paper the m3-6y is only ~25% more powerful than the x5-8500 in multi-core mode. So the 8550 is even faster and I read that there is a way to slightly overclock the Atoms, when the tablet has a good heat dissipation.

(http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_atom_x5_z8500-539-vs-intel_core_m3_6y30-565)

Next to the note taking and office tasks I would also like to do some small FEMM or LT Spice analysis. Maybe even some lightweight FreeCAD to design my 3d print objects. Do you think it can handle stuff like that?

.... decision ... decision ... looks like I need to go deeper into requirements management Smiley Happy

BR

Alex

eiraku
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,012
Message 14 of 50

Just to add to this, for the Yoga Book, most Wacom EMR pens (from Samsung Note Series + Tab with S-pen Series, Asus Vivonote 8, most China Windows Tablets with "Wacom" digitizers, Surface Pro 1/2, most older TabletPCs with pens) should work.

Most newer TabletPCs and 2-in-1s that come with Wacom tech usually use Wacom AES, which is incompatible. Similarly incompatible are N-trig (Surface Pro 3/4) and Synaptic (Acer Switch Alpha 12, Old Dell Venue Pro 8) pens.

So, what's the easiest way to tell if a stylus would work with the Yoga Book? That it comes with a Wacom device and DOESN'T need an AAAA battery in the pen itself (as all AES styli do). Hence why newer Lenovo models come with what's called an "Active" Stylus. 

IINM anyway folks. Also the above only really applies to the keyboard/notepad section of the Yoga Book. The screen itself is equipped with Lenovo's Anypen tech (supposedly) so, quite literally, any pen or stylus would work. 

therealjawss
Blue Screen Again
Views: 17,996
Message 15 of 50

i'm looking forward to wacom selling their fine tip pen for intuos pro paper separately.. i think then i will use the paper feature more! 

AlexM82
Paper Tape
Views: 17,975
Message 16 of 50

Have you tried the Lenovo WriteIt App with the Yoga Book? I heard that it makes working on the screen with text much more comfortable. I would be interested to hear, if it makes the palm rejection issue on the screen somehow better.

BR

Alex

AlexM82
Paper Tape
Views: 17,859
Message 17 of 50

I finally had the chance to test it out.

The S-pen worked so far, but the pen's button seemed to have no function. Right-Click was done by the windows standard function by pressing the pen on the screen on one spot for ca. 3 sec and then lifting it up. The right-click menu was pretty hard to control while using hover function. I felt to have the best control with the original RealPen.

Quick Opinion on the YogaBook: Overall amazing design. Speed felt sufficient but with a very noticeable difference to the m-core+ssd I had as a direct comparison. Drawing off-screen on the wacom-pad was great, but I felt distracted writing on it with my eyes on the screen and not on the pen. WriteIt! worked out nicely, but didn’t improve the missing palm rejection issue on the screen.

BR

tomfhowe
Serial Port
Views: 17,779
Message 18 of 50

Do you have the Wacom feel driver installed? My yoga book at least shipped without it installed, I'm thinking your pen button might work if you install that. I don't have a url, but just google it, it was easy to find and install for me.

catbb67
Punch Card
Views: 17,073
Message 19 of 50

I tried Wacom Bamboo Smart 2-in-1 for windows tablets. It does not work with Yoga Book. Had to return it.

http://www.wacom.com/en-th/products/stylus/bamboo-smart-for-select-tablets-and-2in1

Talked to Wacom about a couple of months ago specifically asking about compatibility of their product to Yoga Book at that time after I return the pen and the Tech said he was not aware of any that are compatible.

therealjawss
Blue Screen Again
Views: 16,857
Message 20 of 50

You might want to try this one http://www.wacom.com/en-th/products/stylus/bamboo-smart-for-samsung-galaxy-note and not the one for windows tablets as the windows one works on my x1 yoga but not on the yoga book, but the galaxy note pens work on my yoga book.

My friend managed to try out the fine tip nib on the yoga book and that was a no go. I guess intuos line has different technology in.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors