Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RDHam
What's DOS?
Views: 1,152
Message 1 of 4

Motorola Server Needed for Zumocast or Motocast

Is it correct that both Zumocast and Motocast require a connection to a Motorola server in order to access the files on my personal computer?  In other words, is there an open connection between a Motorola server and my personal computer anytime I use one of these programs from my phone?

MajorHavoc
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 4

Re: Motorola Server Needed for Zumocast or Motocast

I am only guessing, but I suspect that there is a lookup on a Moto server to return to you the available servers for you login   That is the only way the app can find your server. The server registers itself with the service, as does the app when launched, which allows the app to locate the server without having to know its physical IP address, which may change on many ISPs that use dynamic addressing for clients. Since your server's IP address can change, the only way the app could find the server was through some app server the tracks the location of your server.

I would be very surprised if they ran the video through their server. That is a waste of bandwidth for them to be sure, and would only slow down the interaction, and become a big bottleneck if many people were using the service. This would make no sense at all. I believe that once the server is located for you, you connect directly to your streaming server for further communications. They may (only a guess again) track usage however each time you issue a command, and also may track problems and failures for quality reasons. Assuming that someone was actually supporting this produc.

RDHam
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 4

My real question here relates to the use of a Motorola server and its access to my personal computer that Zumocast would access. Does the Motorola server have an open access to the files on my personal computer or is it a direct link between my phone and my personal computer?
MajorHavoc
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 4

Let me try this again: I am making an educated guess on the process form what I can get from snooping:  the Moto server facilitates a connection between you and your computer. Basically, it tells you where your computer is, and the conection is between you and your own server. As I said, there is no reason for the files to travel between the server and the you via Moto. They would have to become a proxy and the bandwidth use would be rediculous, and would actually slow down the connection at times depending on where you are. 

In addition, usually on systems like this you have to log in to your own server. So even if the Moto server had "access" to your server (because they know where it is) they do not, in theory, have your login and password.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. Because they could save your password when you use it, in theory they could log into your server and see yoru files. I find this unlikely. 

So I would say that your files are probably not seen by Moto. But that does not mean that MIGHT be seen if someone wants to violate your privacy.  And remember, this stuff goes around in the clear, so it could be seen while streaming, in theory. 

Best I can say based o my experience.