Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
Message 21 of 73 (8,445 Views)

Re: Potentially Unwanted Program

Can we trust ANY software from Lenovo? How can they, at their whim, add a Trusted Root Certificate? So much for Trusted Root Certificates!!

To remove a real danger (shame on Lenovo!!)

Run certmgr.msc to start your Certificate Manager

Once that opens, click on “Trusted root certificate authorities” in the left-hand navigation pane, then double-click “Certificates” in the main pane.

A list of all trusted root certificates will appear.

Find the Superfish entry, then right-click on it and select “Delete.”

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 22 of 73 (6,813 Views)

[ Edited ]

removing the trusted cert dont end the process if the infection is already done, its a self cloning malware, hence it can infect the browsers stores. we're talking a full low level wipe, and lenovo dont provide the end users with copies of windows anymore. so now its pay someoen to do it for you. thanks lenovo.

Bit Torrent
Message 23 of 73 (6,698 Views)

[ Edited ]

I hope Lenovo learns from this case and reconsider amount of preinstalled bloatware in general.

Also it seems as nobody have checked what the software actually does. This technique with local certificate is known and used in software development for debugging purposes only. It has no place in consumer machine because it makes it more vulnerable.

It is even more serious if uninstalling the software does not remove the certificate as well. Lenovo should create uninstaller (that removes the certificate as well) and deploy it via System Update immediately.

Message 24 of 73 (6,287 Views)

Lenovo's dishonest response is compounding the impact of this already-severe problem by obfuscating its impact in a lame attempt to downplay what they've done. They're not only injecting ads in their customers' browsing sessions, but their clownish hijacking broke SSL and handed a powerful hijacking tool to any cracker out there who's not a moron.

This is a bad decision that will go down in history, even with the stiff competition we've seen lately from the Sony hack and heartbleed. The prudent consumer would be wise to treat them extremely warily.

802.11n
Message 25 of 73 (6,209 Views)

Possibly Lenovo is a Chinese government shill whose real purpose is to plant malware/spyware to help the government spy efforts. I can't trust Lenovo anymore.
Community Moderator
Message 26 of 73 (5,826 Views)

Hello,

Some anti-malware programs use a similar technique, I believe, in order to decrypt and scan encrypted communications for malware.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Puppy wrote:

I hope Lenovo learns from this case and reconsider amount of preinstalled bloatware in general.

Also it seems as nobody have checked what the software actually does. This technique with local certificate is known and used in software development for debugging purposes only. It has no place in consumer machine because it makes it more vulnerable.

It is even more serious if uninstalling the software does not remove the certificate as well. Lenovo should create uninstaller (that removes the certificate as well) and deploy it via System Update immediately.

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 360 (?-?)

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
Paper Tape
Message 27 of 73 (5,761 Views)

[ Edited ]

A HTTPS encrypted conncetion should always be a secure end-to-end connection

Superfish is not the only one with this security hack.

Antivirus software AVAST does it too with the same proxy trick and has acces to all the secure data.

Take a look here : http://nevermind.dk/nevermind/blog.nsf/subject/lenovo-superfish-malware-opens-big-hole-for-hackers-b...

Bit Torrent
Message 28 of 73 (5,725 Views)

goretsky wrote:

Some anti-malware programs use a similar technique, I believe, in order to decrypt and scan encrypted communications for malware.

That's why I don't use them.
Message 29 of 73 (5,506 Views)

[ Edited ]

So I will clearify what I wrote: Leneovo screwed up big time and AVAST are screwing up as well.

Capice?

Community Moderator
Message 30 of 73 (5,415 Views)

Moderator Note:

I have had to remove posts from this discussion because they did not comply with forum rules.

It is fair to state disagreement with facts or conclusions that another member has posted, but dissent must be expressed in an objective, and reasoned manner. Treat others with the respect you wish to receive. Remember that the community is here to share collective experiences and wisdom, with the goal of all members enjoying greater success with their Lenovo products. Consider whether your comments serve to advance the discussion in a positive direction...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs/Lenovo-Community-Participation-Rules/m-p/1

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

Top Kudoed Authors