Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erikthinkpad512
Paper Tape
Views: 2,773
Message 241 of 261

Re: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2017 Gen5 Touchpad Issue - Linux

I didn't consider the Trackpoint firmware (I've had my trackpoint disabled in the BIOS, so I didn't notice it before..).  I re-enabled it just to see what the firmware reported itself as:

[erik@erikthinkpad] ~ >> dmesg | grep Track
[ 7.448195] psmouse serio2: trackpoint: IBM TrackPoint firmware: 0x04, buttons: 3/3
[ 7.659824] input: TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/serio2/input/input7

I'm not too adept with the trackpoint (I don't ever really use them), so I can't tell if it works better than the touchpad or not.  I looked at the firmware download page for the '20HR' laptops (which mine appears to be):

[erik@erikthinkpad] ~ >> sudo dmidecode | grep Product
Product Name: 20HRCTO1WW

.. and the last touchpad related firmware update looks like it was released in May.  Since my laptop was made in November, I'm assuming it already has (at least) this version, but I'm really not sure.  If it were easier to boot into Windows and give it a try I'd just go for it.

I may just try installing Windows on it this weekend and see if the firmware upgrade does anything - if not, I may send this thing back to Lenovo and get something different.  I didn't think it bothered me too much before, but this makes for a pretty poor experience.  I'll post the results once I give it a try.

-Erik

erikthinkpad512
Paper Tape
Views: 2,753
Message 242 of 261

You know, now that I use it more too.. the Trackpad *does* seem to stop responding every now and then.  Before I kind of chalked it up to me, but now that I pay attention to it, it seems like there are times when I move and the cursor doesn't, and then I instinctively retry it and it works.  I don't see any errors in the logs when this occurs, but maybe another datapoint..

-Erik

erikthinkpad512
Paper Tape
Views: 2,589
Message 243 of 261

AH HA!  Ok, this may not be your problem, but I figured out my problem, and I am now very happy with this configuration.

I'm running Ubuntu 17.10, 4.13.0-19-generic kernel, and am using the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics driver.  (I'd also experimented with the libinput one, but I went back to the synaptics one because it had more tuneables).  My touchpad firmware is:

[    3.367339] psmouse serio1: synaptics: Touchpad model: 1, fw: 8.2, id: 0x1e2b1, caps: 0xf002a3/0x940300/0x12e800/0x400000, board id: 3289, fw id: 2492434

Anyway, after booting Windows 10 off of a USB stick this morning, and finding that the trackpad seemed to work very well in Windows, I decided that the problem must be Linux driver related.  So I fired up evtest, and logged the trackpad inputs while I was having these problems, and it did look like that trackpad hardware was sending the right coordinate changes, it's just the xserver was ignoring them.

Long story short, I discovered the 'Hysteresis' settings - the driver configuration for reducing unintentional movements during tapping.  By default (on mine anyway), the value for both was 28.  I reduced these to 5, originally:

synclient HorizHysteresis=5
synclient VertHysteresis=5

.. and it instantly made everything MUCH better.  Small inputs/adjustments are now much more accurate - the "draw a small circle with the cursor accurately" test I was using before to illustrate the odd jumpy pointer problem now works very well.  I suspect I'll have to adjust a few other things (like Min/Max/Accel) to make it perfect, but this is waaaaaaay better now.

Hope this helps,

Erik

coffeecup
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,443
Message 244 of 261

It is getting worse :/

I know, the x1 is not effected directly.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1734147

ardevd
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,438
Message 245 of 261

Not really related to the Trackpoint/Touchpad nor Lenovo specifically but its a concerning issue for sure.

FedEx is coming to pick up my X1 Carbon today. The new ALPS trackpoints Lenovo uses clearly have a firmware issue which affects both Linux compatibility and a terrible calibration drift. I'm hoping Lenovo will at least recognize the drift issue and replace the trackpoint with one of the other models they use which at this point pretty much all work with Linux.

_paul
Punch Card
Views: 2,092
Message 246 of 261

Finally fixed my touchpad freeze issue! I had to wipe my system and reinstall windows and then run the firmware update. Apparently you cannot do the update from a livecd/portable windows. I tried two different versions. And actually the update failed once even after installing windows clean. Maybe things were just messed up at that point. 

I still have the "small circle" issue but can fix it by switching to synaptics and adjusting the Hysteresis setting from erikthinkpad512. It would be great if someone could figure out how to do this with libinput. Its kinda of a pain getting ubuntu to use synaptics.

ardevd
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,693
Message 247 of 261

If anyone still has a non functional trackpoint under Linux and the only thing that works is booting with psmouse.proto=imps then I can now report that we have finally found a fix! Again, this is only valid for the new ALPS trackpoints so if you have an Elantec trackpoint this fix is not necessary. 

These three patches does the trick.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dtor/input.git/commit/?h=next&id=a1ab69021a584d952e6...

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dtor/input.git/commit/?h=next&id=6abe534f0776d2437c8...

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dtor/input.git/commit/?h=next&id=9f87b9fc369f7719ccd...

As far as I can tell, all three known trackpoint variants for the X1C5 now work with Linux. Only the newer ALPS currently require kernel patches.

coffeecup
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,379
Message 248 of 261

Hi all,

The Lenovo service guy is just fixing the screw issue and brought.

He asked the FRU number of the trackpad/point which is working.

Can anybody provide the exact spare part number?

br,a.

ardevd
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,358
Message 249 of 261

All known trackpoint models for the X1C5 now work out of the box with Linux.

coffeecup
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,346
Message 250 of 261

I tried today, but not working 

Do I need to update anything else manually except the OS?