Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mainframe_Snob
Punch Card
Views: 1,685
Message 31 of 42

Re: W520, Debian 64-bit (Testing) + VT enabled

Dankje Nederlands,

good detective work. I came to the same conclusion when I dis-assembled my 1.37 BIOS. I was however, waiting for lenovo to publish an "official" fix or release a corrected BIOS.

It is appalling that lenovo customers have to solve this firm's problems for them.

Shabby lenovo.

Not to worry, my next machine will not be from this company.

Aubrey

niriven
Punch Card
Views: 1,652
Message 32 of 42

Looks like 1.38 was released but no fix in the release notes on this issue. Any community mods reading that can report this issue directly to Lenovo? What about a hacked firmware, is it as simple as changing that flag in the table and flashing the hacked firmware or would that break other parts of the system?
niriven
Punch Card
Views: 1,642
Message 33 of 42

I messenger a mod about the issue as well. Though found under Linux, I can see this being an issue on windows as well as soon as virtualization a software has a VT-d implementation. I do not see now windows can use x2apic if the DMAR table is not exported by the bios when the feature is enabled. If it affects all os Lenovo should support this issue...
niriven
Punch Card
Views: 1,313
Message 34 of 42

Confirmed BIOS 1.39 and Linux 3.6.2 still an issue.

christopherlang
802.11n
Views: 1,185
Message 35 of 42

Bump. I too have this issue. Lenovo needs to quit messing around and start fixing things.

pumpkineater69
What's DOS?
Views: 759
Message 36 of 42

Lenovo T430 with Nvidia Optimus

Debian 7.2 x64

VT-x and VT-D enabled, it works. I changed the graphic card to discreate card (NVIDIA NVS 5400M) now Debian freezes at Waiting for /dev to be fully populated, even recovery mode freezes sometimes after ACPI detecing the power button.

I upgraded the BIOS from 2.51 to 2.59 and that fixed the problem. I don't see it listed in the release notes tho

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/g1uj27uc.txt

dimm0k
Punch Card
Views: 714
Message 37 of 42

can anyone confirm that this is fixed in the latest W520 BIOS, version 1.42?

niriven
Punch Card
Views: 709
Message 38 of 42

It's not. Latest Bios is 1.42, and I know i had issues booting in Discrete still.

I know there was a proposed kernel patch to fix this (as a quirk to work around the bios issue), however I am not sure if that got into the latest kernel or not.

dimm0k
Punch Card
Views: 690
Message 39 of 42

That's unfortunate.  Hopefully the next BIOS release will fix this rather than something that needs to be worked around from in the kernel.  What kernel version are you running niriven?

niriven
Punch Card
Views: 688
Message 40 of 42

I last tested with 3.11, and am currently running windows.

I find everything works nicely in linux however if you set the bios to Optimus mode, and use bumblebee for access to the discrete card. The only problem i have there is DisplayPort out (difficult, and sound doesnt work if you manage to get it to work using screenclone).

There are a few other options too, I but you to run the Noveau driver which is not "quite there" yet in terms of performance.

Top Kudoed Authors