cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rijesh
Serial Port
Views: 11,702
Message 11 of 372

Re: Yoga 900 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

Yep it is somewhat unfortunate. They also don't have the sata yoga 900 option on the website anymore.

ISK vs ISK2: http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Lenovo_Yoga_900_13

Hopefully once more people get the ISK2 they will push out a fix.

Someone was having the same problem with the dell XPS 13.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=204629

and here.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/696413/ubuntu-installer-cant-find-any-disk-on-dell-xps-13-9350

Here is another couple threads with the same problem and solution for a Dell Precision.

http://superuser.com/questions/1022849/m-2-samsung-sm951-nvme-ssd-not-recognized-on-linux

http://askubuntu.com/questions/707494/primary-ssd-on-dell-precision-7510-cannot-be-detected-by-ubunt...

here is another thread indicating the need to disable RAID mode.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2771559/asus-z170-bios-detecting-s951-pcie.html

Apart from this forum is there anyone else at lenovo I can talk to about this?

notz
Punch Card
Views: 11,682
Message 12 of 372

Re: Yoga 900 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

Their is not many to read about, but Intel RST should be supported by mdadm (intel devs working on it) . But i had no luck with the latest Version (3.4) and kernel 4.6. At least mdadm works with nvme devices. The problem is the missing nvme  device.

pruna
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,642
Message 13 of 372

Hi, just to share another bad experience: I also have a Yoga 900-13ISK2 Signature Edition, and latest openSUSE installer can't see the disks at all. Any news, that ideally doesn't require to manually change the BIOS, will be really apreciated. Regards,
voyager99
Punch Card
Views: 11,603
Message 14 of 372

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

Hello, I can confirm the exact same issues here!

I have a Lenovo 900 13ISK2 and CANNOT install linux (or even perform a clean install of Windows 10) because the OS installed CANNOT see the drive (Samsung NVME MZVLV512).

I have accessed the BIOS by using Fn + F2 at boot and tried UEFI, Legacy, Legacy + UEFI,

disbaled secure boot, etc., but nothing works!

This is really sad to have hardware that is locked down this way!

Customers should demand a fix ASAP!

notz
Punch Card
Views: 11,586
Message 15 of 372

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

I have tried nearly all support possibilities, but the only one that could (should) help is the premium support hotline (1,99 €/min). They should also know about linux installation, but i'm not allowed to call premium lines with my (company) mobile.

The standard hotline only says it's not a warranty issue - so please call premium support hotline. Same is with E-Mail contact. The forum is only from user to user. Their are no lenovo employees, which is very bad.

Support is really very bad for a company like lenovo.

The only hope is that every new lenovo notebook with an PCI-E SATA device is not compatible and they are releasing BIOS updates therefore, which is normally not the case at lenovo.

voyager99
Punch Card
Views: 11,570
Message 16 of 372

If I can't get this resolved today, I am asking for an RMA # and will be returning

the Yoga 900 ASAP!

This is ridiculous!

wolfiewu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,547
Message 17 of 372

I'm in the same boat with returns and they want to charge a 15% restock fee because it's not an issue with the product, apparently. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,523
Message 18 of 372

Hey all,

Not speaking for Lenovo, but for my own understanding:  would you say that this a case of Linux drivers lagging the latest hardware (which does happen...) but that the issue could be avoided if you could toggle the RAID setting off?

From what I read here the issue goes beyond just Lenovo laptops but the Lenovo BIOS doesn't provide the work-around option.  That about right?

Thanks and regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

repsilat
Paper Tape
Views: 11,505
Message 19 of 372

That sounds right to me -- the BIOS option works around the underlying problem of a lack of support for whatever the new thing is.

I'm going to try some BSDs and then maybe virtualization if none of them support it. Not ideal.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,487
Message 20 of 372

Thanks,

I'm personally fine with virtualization on a laptop.  I need bare-metal on a desktop to maintain Linux and Solaris drivers for my PCI cards but for just banging at the editor and running compiles and builds a virtual machine is in some ways better for me.

I can keep my Solaris and Linux VMs inside the Windows install and back up the whole mess at one whack.

I realize that may not be the best option for others in this thread.  Wish I could offer a fix or work around Smiley Sad

Thanks again,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Top Kudoed Authors