Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 21 of 370 (15,365 Views)

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

UNACCEPTABLE!!!

It's OUR hardware! WE PAID FOR IT!

We should be able to install any darn OS we wish!

This thing is GOING BACK!

Too bad Lenovo!

Punch Card
Message 22 of 370 (15,357 Views)

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

Sorry, this has NOTHING to do with Linux drivers at all!

I can't even perform a clean install of Windows 10 on this thing!!

This SSD is locked down and NOT VISIBLE to the OS!

Pathetic!

Punch Card
Message 23 of 370 (15,347 Views)

@

Perhaps you can contact some lenovo stuff (e-mail an developer) , if the plan to support linux on their new models 900-13isk2, 900s-12isk, ....). All with PCI-E SSD and Intel Raid mode hardcoded.

My Thoughts:

The Problem is that the Intel Raid controller hides the device on pci-e bus and remaps the device on some virtual sata ports. It seems that windows has support for that with the intel rst driver but on linux the intel rst is only supported via mdadm. And mdadm must see the device. On windows the device is also not listed on the pci-e bus.

The option is in bios, but hidden to all users (in the hidden advanced settings menu). So it shouldn't be that hard for lenovo to move the option out of the advanced settings menu.

Community Moderator
Message 24 of 370 (15,327 Views)

I'm a volunteer mod here and don't have any direct access to engineering Smiley Sad

I may be able to raise the "bat signal" and attract some attention to this issue - if it isn't already being looked at.

Any input (via test or speculation) that members here can provide might help.  The data-point that Win 10 won't clean install, for example.  That's certainly different from a simple lag in Linux driver development.

Again, I'm a volunteer and don't speak for Lenovo. Can't promise anything but I'm personally interested in this issue and will see what I can find out.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Community Moderator
Message 25 of 370 (15,297 Views)

voyager99 wrote:

Sorry, this has NOTHING to do with Linux drivers at all!

I can't even perform a clean install of Windows 10 on this thing!!

This SSD is locked down and NOT VISIBLE to the OS!

Pathetic!

Or does the stock Win 10 installer need updated drivers too?  Have you tried an "F6" (or however it's done in Win 10) or slipstream add of the latest Intel driver w/NVMe support?

Just asking, not saying... I don't have any way to work with this.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Punch Card
Message 26 of 370 (15,266 Views)

Unbelievable! What a nightmare BIOS!

I am going to tell my students, my colleagues, and my department

heads to STAY FAR AWAY from this Lenovo Yoga 900!

Locking you into Windows 10 Home is disgraceful!

I'm contacting post-sales in the morning. Back it goes!

Punch Card
Message 27 of 370 (15,262 Views)

Irrelevant!

Windows 10 should have basic support to allow the drive to at least be seen!

I don't need performance on a clean install! What I do need is ACCESS!

Fanfold Paper
Message 28 of 370 (15,195 Views)

You can probably exchange the 13isk2 for a 13isk and avoid the restock fee. I spoke with support and they flat out refuse to help you get access to the main drive, "Out of scope" was the refrain. Very dissapointing for a company that used to respect their customers.

Fanfold Paper
Message 29 of 370 (15,154 Views)

Fwiw, I just spent longer than I wanted to mucking around with the bcdedit options but none of the terminology was familiar to me so I didn't make any progress. If there's someone who is a little more savvy with that stuff, there might be a way to edit the hidden options in there. 

I'm also approaching the end of my 30 day return window so this one will probably be going back tomorrow. 

Punch Card
Message 30 of 370 (15,100 Views)

I'm familiar with bcdedit, it won't help!

This is a hardware lock (only firmware update will allow the controller

to make the drive visible), or else an entirely new BIOS!

Pathetic and ridiculous for Lenovo to do this to people!

Top kudoed Authors