Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 11 of 16 (3,616 Views)

Re: ubuntu for Miix 310-10ICR Tablet

Have a look here, if you're still interested in getting the screen framebuffer set up properly in Linux.

Fanfold Paper
Message 12 of 16 (2,297 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have recently (mostly) successfully installed Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS on a x7 version of a Lenovo Miix 310 10ICR (an "80SG").  I got this in Japan; not sure if it is available elsewhere.  This is using a CherryTrail Atom x7-8750.  I used the stock Ubuntu Desktop installer flashed to a USB stick.

I also got it running in dual boot mode with the original Windows 10 installation but right after the boot it insisted on booting direct to windows... you have to force Windows to use grub using the instructions here: https://itsfoss.com/no-grub-windows-linux/   I should also mention I updated to BIOS 3YCN34WW and disabled safe boot in UEFI before attempting the install.

There are several semi-minor issues, however:

1. I got a freeze with the standard 4.10 kernel but upgraded to the 4.11.7 kernel and have not seen once since.  I also tried a 4.12.12 but that one hangs on boot.

2. Built-in sound does not work.   There does not seem to be an available Linux driver for the cherrytrailcraudio PCI "multimedia" device.   I did get sound working with an external $5 USB sound adapter so the rest of the SW stack is fine.  Note that HDMI sound only shows up after the kernel update, above.

3. The screen is rotated after boot but you can fix this in the control panel... at least for the display.  Touch panel works but remains rotated.   First login screen is also rotated and I haven't found a fix for it that works.  Fortunately grub screen is, strangely, NOT rotated.

4. External HDMI is not working for me... but based on my experience with other CHT devices, this may just be the specific monitor I tested... CHT devices are little finicky, and I could not get it working under Windows, either.

5. The SD card reader does not show up, and I can't find it under either the pci or usb devices.   Works under Windows.   It would be great to get this working to expand storage (especially with dual-boot; I only managed to get 23GB put aside from Windows to install Ubuntu).

6. For some reason Alt-Ctrl-F1 etc does not work to access full-screen terminals.   I can do this from an attached USB keyboard, but not from the built-in keyboard.   The function keys on the built-in keyboard are shared with the number keys and so you have to push an Fn key at the same time to access the function keys.  I suspect this is a limitation of the keyboard in accepting four button presses at once.  Note the function keys themselves work fine.

7. I tried enabling the performance governor and that works, but apparently only "powersave" and "performance" are supported, not "ondemand".  Oh, well.  Default is "powersave".

8. There doesn't seem to be any way to control the backlight brightness from Ubuntu.

I'll post here again if I find any fixes to any of the above.  Basically though it works great as a portable coding machine (I'm running Anaconda, Node.js, etc. on it, no problem) and the battery life is AWESOME.   I've been sitting here hacking and downloading stuff for hours today and it still shows 7h+ on the battery meter.  Also small enough to actually use on an airplane table tray...

Fanfold Paper
Message 13 of 16 (2,276 Views)

I should note also that previous issues with graphics, wifi, and bluetooth seem to have been resolved; they worked out of the box (I only tried my install after updating the BIOS, however...).

Fanfold Paper
Message 14 of 16 (2,184 Views)

[ Edited ]

I found a few workarounds for some of the issues noted...

1. To enter and exit a virtual terminal: press Fn, then while holding it down, press Ctrl-Alt, then while holding those down, press the desired number key.  In other words, the order matters.  You have to press the Fn key before the others.

2. To make the virtual terminal show text in landscape (which makes the above much more useful): put the following in /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="fbcon=rotate:1"

and then run "sudo update-grub".  This also makes boot messages come up in landscape.  As this is a kernel boot option you have to reboot before it takes effect.

3. To get your login screen to show up in landscape put

[SeatDefaults]

display-setup-script=xrandr -o right

in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.  You have to restart lightdm (easiest way is to reboot) before it takes effect.   You can also install lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings and onscreen if you want to tweak the login settings (for instance, to use large fonts or have an onscreen keyboard show up by default).   Note: along the way to trying to get this working I also installed the lightdm-gtk-greeter and tried it.  I THINK the above works with the default unity greeter, though.

Fanfold Paper
Message 15 of 16 (2,174 Views)

Yet another update: to get the touch screen to work in landscape mode at boot, update your lightdm.conf file to include the setting (all on one line... the "bash -c" trick is needed to run multiple commands... a naked semicolon doesn't work here)

display-setup-script=bash -c "xrandr -o right; xinput set-prop \"FTSC0001:00 2808:1015\" --type=float \"Coordinate Transformation Matrix\" 0 1 0 -1 0 1 0 0 1"

This fixes input rotation for both the login screen and post-login input.  You can modify these commands to make scripts to rotate the screen as you want after the fact though (the ubuntu documentation for xinput includes matrices for the other xrandr settings...)

While using the gtk greeter and an onscreen keyboard, this can be used to login while in tablet mode, among other applications. 

Fanfold Paper
Message 16 of 16 (2,172 Views)

The following script can be used to put the tablet into "performance" mode, where it runs the CPUs as fast as they will go, subject to thermal throttling.  Put this in a file and mark it as executable, as you need to run the entire thing with sudo:

#!/bin/sh

for CPUFREQ in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor; do [ -f $C
PUFREQ ] || continue; echo -n performance > $CPUFREQ; done

To put the system back into the default "powersave" mode, create another script like the above but with "powersave" in place of "performance".

Of course in performance mode your system will run hotter and will use up the battery charge faster.

Top kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count