Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bit Torrent
Message 11 of 159 (10,773 Views)

Re: Lenovo Pre-instaling adware/spam - Superfish - powerd by VisualSearch

[ Edited ]

Nobsa wrote:

Adware, another name for spyware which is basically a back door trojan.

Think Lenovo gets 30 pieces of silver to stab customers in the back?

Just asking. Are you familair with Wild Tangent Games? 

[Moderator edited to update a member's username.]

Message 12 of 159 (10,770 Views)

We are getting off-topic here. If you have questions pertaining to the differences between adware, spyware, potentially unwanted applications, and viruses please post on the Security & Malware Forum. We'll be glad to clear up any misunderstanding.

English    Deutsche     Español     Português     Русскоязычное

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

Bit Torrent
Message 13 of 159 (10,761 Views)

Bugbatter wrote:

We are getting off-topic here. If you have questions pertaining to the differences between adware, spyware, potentially unwanted applications, and viruses please post on the Security & Malware Forum. We'll be glad to clear up any misunderstanding.

Just trying to get my point that not only Lenovo but other manufacturers are installing programs which some might consider bloatware/adware, whatever, in which Wild Tangent Games (which is found in another brand) is one of them. This program is more difficult to remove than what can be found in my Lenovo unit.

Fanfold Paper
Message 14 of 159 (10,756 Views)

[ Edited ]

The fact that wild tangent runs in the backgroud and sends packets home on defualt IS ON TOPIC!

That most vendors load up trojan spyware that is running in the back ground is moot.

Pretending that a few customers are disgusted by the practice is why my postcan be deleted to protect the guilty.

Funny how Microsoft Store is selling these same vendors machines because the bloat/crapware is not installed is the funny part!

Message 15 of 159 (10,744 Views)

[ Edited ]

Nobsa, arguing with a Moderator is not in compliance with Community Rules.

Len, I understand your point. However, this topic is about a specific application that was pre-installed on Lenovo y50 and z40 laptops. This is not common to all laptops sold by Lenovo. This is not a discussion about Wild Tangent.

Feel free to start a topic in Security & Malware if you have questions or comments regarding OEM installed PUA's. Polite constructive criticism helps Lenovo know its customers' preferences better.

Thanks.

English    Deutsche     Español     Português     Русскоязычное

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

Bit Torrent
Message 16 of 159 (10,725 Views)

Bugbatter wrote: "...Len, I understand your point. However, this topic is about a specific application that was pre-installed on Lenovo y50 and z40 laptops. This is not common to all laptops sold by Lenovo. This is not a discussion about Wild Tangent...."

I agree that it is not a discussion about Wild Tangent however it is just use as an example to augment my previous statement. It is not necessary to post about it in the suggested forum since I do know how to deal with it already.

No offense intended, I'm just expressing my thoughts about the issue at hand which IMO seems to include some unnecessary rude statements.

Topics: 20
Kudos: 448
Solutions: 213
Message 17 of 159 (10,664 Views)

Hello,

Getting back on topic... it's not unusual for all computer manufacturers (not just Lenovo, but Dell, HP, etc.) to install software that users may have no need for.  If you find something installed by the manufacturer on your computer that you don't need, just open the Control Panel, run the Uninstall or Change a Program (filename: APPWIZ.CPL) applet and uninstall it from there.  This will probably just take a few seconds to do, and may (or may not) reqiure a reboot. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)

Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues
Blue Screen Again
Message 18 of 159 (10,657 Views)

[ Edited ]

[Moderator Note: Post edited per forum rules.]

This program monitors your shopping activities then integrates with your search results in order to gain commission from the sale of the item. 

Lenovo either gets a piece of that commission or the company paid lenovo a lump sum to pre install this software on the computer. 

Paper Tape
Message 19 of 159 (10,456 Views)

[ Edited ]

goretsky wrote:

Hello,

Getting back on topic... it's not unusual for all computer manufacturers (not just Lenovo, but Dell, HP, etc.) to install software that users may have no need for.  If you find something installed by the manufacturer on your computer that you don't need, just open the Control Panel, run the Uninstall or Change a Program (filename: APPWIZ.CPL) applet and uninstall it from there.  This will probably just take a few seconds to do, and may (or may not) reqiure a reboot. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

This is not just a simple unwanted application, this is a potential security threat. It injects JavaScript from best-deals-products.com to any website accessed through protocols HTTP and HTTPS. I use NoScript to avert such threats, that's how I noticed this.

Token Ring
Message 20 of 159 (10,438 Views)

[ Edited ]

seriously?  2 pages and 20 posts later..

guys, do a clean install of windows..

Link to Wikipedia article

Moderator Note: Please refer to Lenovo Community Participation Rules
"It is fair to state disagreement with facts or conclusions that another member has posted, but dissent must be expressed in an objective, and reasoned manner. Treat others with the respect you wish to receive. Remember that the community is here to share collective experiences and wisdom, with the goal of all members enjoying greater success with their Lenovo products. Consider whether your comments serve to advance the discussion in a positive direction."

Top Kudoed Authors