Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 251 of 575 (5,218 Views)

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

I never bought into the idea that you should partition your hard drive with Windows.  If you can redirect your data files to your D: drive, it's just as easy to redirect them into a directory on your C: drive.  If you can backup your D: drive, you can backup your directory on your C: drive just as easily. 

The other argument for partitioning is that if your file system fails or is corrupted on C:, D: is not affected.  Maybe so, but D: can fail just as much as C: can, then you've lost your data.... so you should be backing up all the time anyway. 

And, by having one big C: drive, you can effectively use all the space, rather than having to decide how big each partition will be. 

Nonetheless, having partitions seems to be the "conventional wisdom".  I just think it's a mistake. 

Personally, I wiped both the C: and D: partitions on my S10, and reinstalled XP from scratch on one big partition.  It's working just fine.  My next step will be to wipe the recovery partition and use that space, too.  But I'll wait until it looks like I need it. 

Fanfold Paper
Message 252 of 575 (5,207 Views)

Well, I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.  My big thing is, I am used to having a disk with my operating system on it in case I need to reinstall and that's one thing I would like to have.   I am not excited about the one-step recovery system.   I have a desktop with a 500 GB hard drive and I have Vista on it also and I have 100 GB on drive C and 250 on D where all my programs reside and then 150 GB on my E drive where all my data is.  but I also have all my data backed up on an external hard drive.   So I'm comfortable with that. 

I may just leave my laptop partitioned like it is unless it's not working for me later, but see if support will give me a Vista reinstall disk rather than me using the one-step recovery.   And get rid of the one-step and use that space for my D data drive.   I don't know if maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about because I've never had a laptop before and it seems to be a slightly different animal than my desktop, but I'm reading and seeing what everyone has to say.   The only disk I got with this laptop was a Leonovo IdeaPad Y510 Vista Drivers CD.  I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do with it.  I feel like an idiot, but just got this computer for Christmas and need to get my nose in the book and see if I can figure all this out. 

Thanks for all the good information.  Will keep reading and learning.

Shirley

Fanfold Paper
Message 253 of 575 (5,186 Views)

I just bought a Y530 with Vista Home Premium 64 bit.  It came with no recovery disks.  The minimal documentation says to backup the system to the hard drive, then if restoration is needed used the OneKey 6.0 feature.  It came with a 320 GB HD:  C has 254 GB, D has 29 GB, and an unnamed drive has 15 GB.  When I try to run the first full backup with maximum compression, OneKey says the estimated image size is 75 GB, and the available disk space is 27 GB.  So backing up to the hard drive is not possible?  To backup to dvd disks, it tells me it will require 17 dvd disks.  Surely, I am missing something and doing something wrong.  I can back up my personal data without OneKey.  But when the hard drive dies after the warranty expires, and is replaced, how do I restore the replacement hard drive with at least the factory image?
Token Ring
Message 254 of 575 (5,141 Views)

Kevin2503:

One thing i did when i came across this same issue was disabiling the "system protection" feature within windows temporarily.... this houses quite a bit of data for windows own recovery features.  Once disabled, use "disk clean up." (accessories / system tools)  This will clear all unneeded files reducing used small significantly.

System protection:

click "Start" (bottom left windows icon)

Right click "computer"

select "properties"

select "advanced system settings" (in upper left)

IF! UAC (user account control) is active a new window will pop-up, click "continue," if not proceed anyway.

select the 4th tab from the left, "system protection"

uncheck both C: and D:

proceed with apply / ok

Remember to recheck the drives after you've completed the back up to restore this feature, a quick google search can explain purpose of this feature in depth.

please report back the end result.

Token Ring
Message 255 of 575 (5,130 Views)

to shed some light on the way partitions should be set up:

For NON-technical users i highly recommend your typical C: drive w/ the hidden partition for recovery.  Unfortunately there are varied set ups out of the box.  The ideal set up shipping with these lenovo's are the Big C, Little D, Hidden EISA.  Unfortunately some set ups come w/ all small C: ridiculously limiting the OS and there's tips and procedures to remedy this within the forums. U Should have support remedy this if your uncomfortable due to the new standard ive seen which is how i will describe below.

Hidden EISA will always contain your default factory .img to restore to. (just as if you FIRST turned it on)

Your D: (30gb or so) drive should consist of your custom back up/.img after you've loaded your major personal apps and desired settings using the OneKey Recovery back up method.

Your C: (all left over space) drive should be your only real working environment.

Along w/ creating recovery discs of your custom back up using OneKey, everything should then be backed up onto an EXTERNAL drive.  You will have to adjust the folder options within the control panel to see the path of ur custom back up within the D: drive.This provides complete recovery in any situation.  If your partitions are all messed up and onekey is too much trouble look at the solution provided by Acronis.com (True Image Home) its very nice and user friendly providing the same benefit and more.

Keep in mind this is aimed for non technical users.  Users within advanced computing fields have there desired setups/schemes for a reason consisting of their work or technical ease of dealing w/ any problem comming along and to them, is just another day of computers.

REASON WHY:

1. ITS SIMPLE.

2. You'll have an environment to be back up and running in any situations in the quickest time possible.

- Physical drive crashes... who cares, its all on external back up as well.

- O.S. crashes due to nothing you've done and repairs dont work. Who Cares! Your back the same day if not an hour.

- Your scared of being prone to user error or not sure what to do in some situations!!!! NO WORRIES!

You have all saved data and recovery methods for any possible problem. Partitioning schemes wont matter at all once your backup / individual personal files are on external.  KEEP IN MIND, the external is NOT to free up space of your initial system... its to create this entire redundent atmosphere, because u need an out should ur external drive die as well.

As i mentioned if OneKey doesnt work, Acronis will do the same job and do it better, and soon this machine will have it too once i move from default Vista32.

Acronis = $40 if needed

Large external drive = $80-140 depending on size and capacity (comfortability of installing an internal drive for added space onto a desktop drive within the home and providing shared folders through the home network is much cheaper too)

Of Course! No one wants to spend more money, but trust me, your potential hassle and frustration and down time later will have you very upset w/ yourself.  These solutions are now everyday practices and software like Acronis/Onekey combined w/ affordable seperated storage bring business grade disastery recovery to every pc user.

Fanfold Paper
Message 256 of 575 (5,114 Views)

Ok, I did the OneKey backup to an external hard drive (I have several).  It took up 45 GB, instead of the estimated 75 GB, but it said it completed successfully.  So, if I need to restore the Lenovo HD, I use OneKey using the backup target of the external hard drive containing the backup folder.  What if the Lenovo hard drive goes bad and is replaced.  With a new, empty formatted hard drive, how does one use the backup on the external HD to restore on the new HD in the Lenovo?
Punch Card
Message 257 of 575 (5,119 Views)

I think you're exactly right.  There's a huge hole in the Lenovo recovery scheme.  If the hard drive dies, you're pretty much hosed, because you have no way to recover without a recovery partition.

This is why I asked, a few posts ago:

HEY LENOVO (Mark) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  HEY LENOVO (Mark) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I replace my hard drive, how do I get the recovery partition back? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's how I'm handling this whole thing.

I am ignoring the One Key Recovery completely.  I bought an external DVD burner (USB) for $50 from newegg.com.  I used this to create a bootable XP SP3 install DVD with all the Lenovo drivers on it. (The details for this are a little bit lengthy but pretty straighforward -- see http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#wxp). 

Then, I booted this DVD, and during XP install, I deleted both the C: and D: partitions and created one big partition.  Then I installed XP, installed the Lenovo drivers, hooked up to Windows Update and updated everything to the latest level, and all was up and running.

Then I set up a backup scheme for all my application data using USB memory sticks (which are really, really cheap now). 

Token Ring
Message 258 of 575 (5,104 Views)

kevin5203 wrote:
What if the Lenovo hard drive goes bad and is replaced.  With a new, empty formatted hard drive, how does one use the backup on the external HD to restore on the new HD in the Lenovo?

That sir is the MONEY QUESTION!!!! The only hint of full recovery is stated within the Onekey pdf documentation,

"If your hard disk fails and you are unable to use Lenovo

OneKey Recovery on your computer, you can use these discs to

recover your system on a reformatted hard drive."

these discs = your created recovery discs 

Now unfortunately i believe this would be a question for the personell who holds knowledge of OneKey's engineering and i dont see us getting a solid answer with out testing it ourselves.  But for now, here's my ?'s of what we need to know! Smiley Wink

Can we boot off already made recovery (older, smaller, 1 or 2 disc recoveries) discs to inturn access the external drive to restore our GIANT 75GB Back up img? (lets assume ALL 75gb is all needed apps, i can think of a simple few to put me at 50gb anyway)

Will recovery discs restore or even have anything to do w/ the other partitions, D: and hidden EISA (onekey/service partition) for future use after disaster?

Punch Card
Message 259 of 575 (5,061 Views)

What you are talking about is the Recovery Disk.  This is an option to burn a bootable CD or DVD from a OneKey Recovery session.  There are several problems with this.

1)  How do you burn a disc when you have no optical disc drive?  You can't, out of the box.  I figured out how to do it -- you can download the trial version of a very nice utility called Virtual CD (see http://www.virtualcd-online.com/).  This allows you to "burn" the image to a file.  Then you can transfer the file to a computer what has a burner and burn it for real. 

2)  Now that you have a recovery disc, how do you boot it to recover (since, um, you have NO DRIVE).  This one's tougher.  I believe it's possible to make a USB flash drive bootable, and found some instructions on the net, but it looks quite difficult.  I could have done this, but I decided to look at how many dollars I'd have to spend to buy a USB DVD burner, and found a very nice one on newegg.com for $50 with free shipping.  So I bought one.  More effective than spending hours figuring out how to live without it.

3)  Finally, if you boot the recovery disc and recover, what do you have?  A system with NO RECOVERY PARTITION. 

What Lenovo should really do is provide you with a recovery method to completely restore a hard drive back to factory contents, including the recovery partition.  This could be a recovery DVD, which would require you to buy or borrow an external DVD drive. 

Apparently there is no such option?  LENOVO PLEASE RESPOND????  <-------------------------------<<<<<<<<

Fanfold Paper
Message 260 of 575 (5,047 Views)

I am following the instructions of OneKey Recovery: creating a full backup image on an external drive, then creating Recovery Disks using OneKey to burn them from the external drive backup image onto dvd disks.  It's not one recovery disk, it's ten or twelve.  This Y530 405164 has an optical drive to burn and read the recovery disks.  Still, 10 or 12 home-burned disks is a lot of disks, if one is bad during recovery, I guess the whole recovery is hosed. 

From the FAQ of OneKey:

2. Why can't the recovery disc(s) recover the entire hard disk drive?

The recovery discs include the backed up files of the system partition (c partition), instead of the backed up files of entire hard disk drive. Therefore you can't recover the entire hard disk with the recovery discs you created.

According to this, you can't restore all the partitions on a new hard drive.  Only the c partition would be restored.  I would be more than willing to pay extra to purchase a factory recovery disk from Lenovo so I could restore a replaced hard drive to the factory image, if Lenovo offered it, which they don't.

Top kudoed Authors